Regional Rankings and SOS

Started by DIIISuperfan, February 20, 2013, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - NYU just made a big statement this weekend. I plan to have them in my Top 25 as a result. They are phenomenal (which I can't believe I am saying) with the transfer Harris making a huge impact.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

dcahill44

Saw that Dave. Thanks for info.

magicman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 25, 2015, 05:16:45 PM
FYI - NYU just made a big statement this weekend. I plan to have them in my Top 25 as a result. They are phenomenal (which I can't believe I am saying) with the transfer Harris making a huge impact.

I called Coach Curle at Plattsburgh State earlier today before I spotted your post. I told him that Plattsburgh State had better get their act together and win the automatic SUNYAC bid because their chances of getting a Pool C bid may have just went out the window because of the weekend victories that NYU just posted.

I looked at those wins against Washington U, then Chicago, and wondered how a team that lost to Union and Sage College could beat 2 teams in the Top 25. Your info about the transfer to NYU of Hakeem Harris answered my question. Many times when you can get a player that was recruited by a DI school it makes an impact. In this case it has made a big difference for the Violets, when Hakeem joined the team after the Christmas break. In only 10 games played, Harris has made 31 three pointers, which is 10 more than anyone else on the team who has played the full season. He's the 2nd leading scorer on the team with a 14.5 ppg average, but if you discount his first 3 games where he got very little playing time and only scored a total of 13 points in those 3 games, then his ppg goes up to 18.5 over the last 7 games. That would be tops on the team and he still hasn't started a single game.

I now hope they will win the UAA conference title so they won't be a factor in determining which East Region team (if any) will get a Pool C bid. ;D     

with age came?

Alright you experts lets have it:  Unsophisticated says 1) St John Fisher - very painful to print that 2) NYU - even more painful to rank a team with a loss to Union that high - but "the transfer" must be sensational. 3) Plattsburgh 4) Skidmore - Bart game was a fluke 5) Clarkson 6) Oswego - still dwelling on their home loss to my Golden Knights 7) Buff State - just to make Bengalsrule happy-hehe ;) 8) Hilbert - they are close to me and they seem to be winning games??  Who knew?? 9) Pick a YAC team 10) Pick another YAC team but just don't say Fredonia  ;D

dcahill44

I would say the top 5 in no order right now are pretty solidified for the first regional ranking. 1. St John Fisher
2. NYU
3. Plattsburgh State
4. Clarkson
5. Oswego

Then I think Cortland could very well sneak in at the six spot or maybe even into the top 5, Skidmore, Hobart are in the mix and could sneak in.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: with age came? on January 30, 2015, 01:38:16 AM
Alright you experts lets have it:  Unsophisticated says 1) St John Fisher - very painful to print that 2) NYU - even more painful to rank a team with a loss to Union that high - but "the transfer" must be sensational. 3) Plattsburgh 4) Skidmore - Bart game was a fluke 5) Clarkson 6) Oswego - still dwelling on their home loss to my Golden Knights 7) Buff State - just to make Bengalsrule happy-hehe ;) 8) Hilbert - they are close to me and they seem to be winning games??  Who knew?? 9) Pick a YAC team 10) Pick another YAC team but just don't say Fredonia  ;D

:) :) :) :) :)

Bengalsrule

St John Fisher cracks the Top 25 (at #24). No other team ranked, other than NYU (27th). I predict,  in the rough and tumble SUNYAC, that the eventual regular season winner will have at least 4 losses. Right now 1st to 8th place are separated by games (8-2 vs 5-5). I can't ever remember the league being this competitive. 3 teams tied for 3rd at 6-4. I'm hoping that my beloved BENGALS will continue to win (7-1 last 8 games).

dcahill44

Oswego loss hurts them and I think it could quite possibly shift them out of the first regional ranking. I think now the top 3 solidified unless a team loses two this weekend. Fisher, Plattsburgh, NYU in that order then Skidmore, Clarkson, Hobart, Cortland, Oswego in no order currently because I think SOS is going to be key after talking to some people. I think Skidmore could be a sleeper in this first ranking because I think there SOS is good and then I would have Clarkson and Hobart in the LL behind Skidmore. Cortland has some good wins and I think they are next in line to get into this ranking. Guess we will see next week.

Bengalsrule

After my beloved Bengals swept Oswego and Cortland this weekend,  I sure am hoping that they get a little more love from my "east" pollsters here.  Like NYU picking up Harris, my Bengals have benefited greatly from the addition of Chris Cartwright after Xmas.  He is top 3 in Sunyac in scoring, assists, 3 Ptrs per game, assist to turnover ratio and free throw %.  Can't ever remember a player like that in recent memory. 8-1 over the last 9 games is no fluke with Chris, Rod Epps, Chris Thompson, a healthy Jordan Glover and a healthy Lovell Smith along with Derrick Fernandez and Larry Rivers.

2 weeks left in the regular season.  Coming downtown the wire.  I expect the Sunyac to be a multiple bid league again this year.  Any of the top 6  teams can still clinch the regular season title!

Go Sunyac

Go Bengals

dcahill44

Regional Ranking final predictions
1. St John Fisher 18-2
2. Plattsburgh 14-6
3. Hobart 15-6
4. Clarkson 17-4
5. NYU 14-6
6. Skidmore 12-7

NYU looked like a team who could be in that 2nd or 3rd spots but have had 2 losses since then with 2 of them to Rochester who looks likes its getting it together. A ton of quality wins and a high SOS. Hobart I would say is arguably the best team in the region right now and is playing very well. Coach Sweeney is doing a great job. Plattsburgh with a pretty good SOS and a good nonconference schedule and tied for 1st place in the SUNYAC. Clarkson who has a great record is deserving of a ranking. I think Skidmore has done a good job challenging themselves in the nonconference but hasn't one enough games to be in that top 3. SOS is going to be HUGE throughout the ranking. St John Fisher did not play a tough nonconference schedule and hasn't beaten anybody who is really good. Hartwick and Alfred are okay wins but they have been rolling through the conference and beat everybody by double digits. I think this is a down year in the East.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 10, 2015, 02:50:22 PM
Regional Ranking final predictions
1. St John Fisher 18-2
2. Plattsburgh 14-6
3. Hobart 15-6
4. Clarkson 17-4
5. NYU 14-6
6. Skidmore 12-7

NYU looked like a team who could be in that 2nd or 3rd spots but have had 2 losses since then with 2 of them to Rochester who looks likes its getting it together. A ton of quality wins and a high SOS. Hobart I would say is arguably the best team in the region right now and is playing very well. Coach Sweeney is doing a great job. Plattsburgh with a pretty good SOS and a good nonconference schedule and tied for 1st place in the SUNYAC. Clarkson who has a great record is deserving of a ranking. I think Skidmore has done a good job challenging themselves in the nonconference but hasn't one enough games to be in that top 3. SOS is going to be HUGE throughout the ranking. St John Fisher did not play a tough nonconference schedule and hasn't beaten anybody who is really good. Hartwick and Alfred are okay wins but they have been rolling through the conference and beat everybody by double digits. I think this is a down year in the East.

Wow...very little love for the SUNYAC!!!! Liberty league is ranked 20th in Massey and Sunyac 23rd (so pretty much even there). I gotta believe that more than 1 team from the "yac will be ranked this week. I'm thinking 3 myself. Bengals strength of schedule is nearly twice as good as Clarksons (152 vs 279). Keep in mind that the Bengals , since Chris Cartwright has joined the BENGALS,  are 13-3 since Xmas. That's the best "Post Xmas" record of any SUNYAC team.  in fact only 1 other team, I believe,in the ENTIRE EAST can boast of a better post Xmas record  than 13-3 ( and that would be St John Fisher). Hopefully the committee looks at the hottest teams now as opposed to just overall record. After all you need to be the best in Feb and March to win. Not November and December.

Darn Dcahill....And I was just starting to like you!!   ;)  ( just joking   :))

magicman

Regional Rankings due out today.

I'm thinking they look like this..
1. St. John Fisher
2. NYU
3. Plattsburgh
4. Hobart
5. Clarkson
6. Skidmore

I'm not saying I would rank these teams in that order but think the regional committee will.

The guy with the most time and correct information invested in the Regional Rankings has put out his rankings for all the regions and his updated figures look like this. I like these better. ;D

1.   Plattsburgh State
2.   St. John Fisher
3.   Skidmore
4.   Clarkson
5.   Hobart
6.   NYU
7.   Buffalo State
8.   Cortland State
9.   Hartwick
10. Geneseo State
11. Lancaster Bible
12. Oswego State
13. Oneonta State
14. Ithaca
15. Rochester

dcahill44

We will see dont see another SUNYAC in this ranking. Maybe Oswego next week if they win 2 this weekend or Cortland next week.

magicman

The other possibility  for the Regional Rankings would be this order:

1. St John Fisher
2. Hobart
3. Plattsburgh State
4. Clarkson
5. NYU
6. Skidmore.

Not a big fan of this order because Clarkson is being rewarded for their terrible non-conference schedule. If Clarkson played the non-conference schedule that Skidmore played they would probably have at least another 5 losses. Replace these teams that Clarkson played... St. Joseph's (Vt). Morrisville State, SUNY-Canton, Wells, and Cazenovia with these teams that Skidmore played... Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Williams, Babson, Concordia (Texas), Ithaca and Westfield State.
Clarkson's record of 17-4, the main reason they made the regional rankings, would be somewhere around 12-9 or 13-8. I can't blame them for the Morrisville game since the Mustangs were a decent team the past few years and lost a ton of talent from last year's team but the other schools are not from strong conferences and usually don't compete well with the Liberty League. Skidmore played a stronger schedule and already beat Clarkson on the road by 17 points. I have to rank
Skidmore over them but that gaudy record will probably find Clarkson ahead of Skidmore.   

magicman

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 11, 2015, 09:20:15 AM
We will see dont see another SUNYAC in this ranking. Maybe Oswego next week if they win 2 this weekend or Cortland next week.

Strange that you say that my friend. The only person that had 2 SUNYAC teams in the Top 6 recently, was this guy on Feb.1st, and he tried to sneak a 3rd SUNYAC team in there as well. ;D

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 01, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
I would say the top 5 in no order right now are pretty solidified for the first regional ranking.
1. St John Fisher
2. NYU
3. Plattsburgh State
4. Clarkson
5. Oswego

Then I think Cortland could very well sneak in at the six spot or maybe even into the top 5, Skidmore, Hobart are in the mix and could sneak in.