MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toad22

As a Williams fan, I had hoped that we might meet IWU in the championship game. As far back as 1997, these two d3 powers have played together in the final 4, but have never met. Sooner rather than later they should meet!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: toad22 on March 27, 2014, 07:39:33 PM
As a Williams fan, I had hoped that we might meet IWU in the championship game. As far back as 1997, these two d3 powers have played together in the final 4, but have never met. Sooner rather than later they should meet!

Agreed.  And they would have met if someone hadn't snuck out and put a lid over IWU's basket for the last few minutes! :(

veterancciwfan

Indulge me while I revel in the Wisconsin win over Arizona. As a D3 fan, I admire Bo Ryan so much. He coaches the same style as he did in 15 years at Platteville where he won 4 national titles and finished with an amazing .822 winning %. From there, he went to UW-Milwaukee for 2 average seasons before Fred Kohl, who gave U. of WI $25 million to build the palatial Kohl Fieldhouse (opened in 1998), badgered the WI AD to select Ryan as head coach beginning with the 2001/2002 season. U. of WI, a football first school with a football AD forever, had never won more than 22 games in a season. In Ryan's first 12 years (not counting the 2013/14 season in which WI is now 30-7), his WI teams averaged 24.3 wins a season. Bo Ryan and Fred Kohl have turned the U. of WI into something very special in D1 basketball, finishing among the nation's top 7 in attendance for the last 13 years. Under Ryan, WI has made 13 straight NCAA tournament appearances, finally making the Final 4 tonight. And I have no ties to U. of WI, just appreciative that a football AD (don't know who it was) who probably didn't know a whole lot about D1 basketball, said yes to Fred Kohl. Bo Ryan was a legend in D3, going 30-5 in D3 tournament games. He deserved a bigger stage. One last comment about Ryan's recruiting: Frank Kaminsky is from Lisle, IL and Ben Brust is from Hawthorn Woods, IL. They wind up at WI. Ryan's #1 big man recruit for next year is 6"9' 230 lb. Ethan Happ from Rockridge H.S., a class 2A IL team that finished 28-1.   Remember his name. He might wind up being the new Frank Kaminsky. Meanwhile, the U. of IL basketball team is as forlorn as the Illini football program. Too bad Fred Kohl wasn't a U. of IL grad. There is no way the U. of IL AD would ever hire a successful D3 basketball coach.

veterancciwfan

twocentsworth

Actually, veteranncciw, Herb Kohl pulled the ultimate "power play" in 1995 when he told the Wisconsin AD that he would only donate money towards the new construction project IF Stan Van Gundy was fired and Dick Bennett was hired.  That's why Van Gundy was fired after 1 year (of a 5 yr contract) and Bennet was hired in '95.

Btw, the next time Bo Ryan DOESN'T whine, bitch, or cry to the refs when a foul is called on a Badger player....it will be the FIRST time in his career. What a tool!

iwu70

I was hoping for three Big Ten teams in the Final Four.  Didn't happen -- Michigan and Michigan State went down.  Wisconsin still standing.  You gotta admire Bo Ryan and his success out of D3 to DI at Wisconsin.  Illini basketball and football is sadly, quite pathetic. 

Time for the recruiting news to be posted -- with students signing on at CCIW schools, with Admissions Offices, in the next 3-4 weeks.

Go TITANS -- great year, more to come in future years. I hope Ron Rose gets the recruits he's after and replenishes the deep pool of talent already there at IWU.  Hope Vic Davis, Eric Dortch, Nick Anderson, and Zman have little brothers coming along to IWU soon . . . perhaps some more good recruits from MO. -- from whence Sodemann and Mayberber came.  No more Zimmers, right?   (Any chance Coach Rose gets his son to play for IWU? . . . or that the most junior Seibring from NCHS comes to IWU? -- yes, he's a rising senior, I know -- hope he comes along later and brings a Peacock with him).   :)

Happy Spring to all the DIII chatsters -- sure hope April showers indeed bring May flowers for you all . . .  and soon.  Torrential rainy season started here in Hong Kong today -- with the "Amber" and "Black" flag signals up for heavy rains.  The typhoon pattern will be established off the South China Sea and the typhoon season will begin in earnest. Always seems to happen just after the big Rugby Sevens tournament we have here each year -- just concluded yesterday.  The "All Blacks" from New Zealand are again Rugby Sevens Cup winners, over England.  My beloved Fijians were third this year.  A good time was had by all -- about 40K in the Hong Kong Stadium, with a decidedly Australian ambiance and enough beer to float the Titanic.  One of the great Hong Kong and Asian sporting events each year.

IWU70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on March 30, 2014, 10:25:08 PMTime for the recruiting news to be posted -- with students signing on at CCIW schools, with Admissions Offices, in the next 3-4 weeks.

There will be CCIW recruits being announced long after that as well, Mark. Other CCIW schools do not necessarily share Illinois Wesleyan's admissions timetable.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Yes, Greg, agreed.  Many different admissions timetables.   I'm sure we'll be hearing about recruits for some weeks, even months to come.

IWU70

iwu70

The Titan nation, B/N community comes together tonight -- Monday, March 31st -- for reception/celebration for the 2013-14 National Semi-Finalists TITANS' squad -- 7:00 p.m. at The Shirk!  Congrats again to Coach Rose and all the TITANS on a great season, a Final Four run.  Another banner for The Shirk rafters.  Wish I could be there.

IWU70

havej

twocentsworth - I'm down with you regarding Ryan.  He's a flat out bully on the sidelines the way he treats officials - just love when he points at one of them and screams "Come here!!"

Loved that play in the 2nd half when Arizona's big dribbled the ball off his knee and the ref kept it with Arizona and Ryan was immediately shown motioning that he wanted the action stopped.  Funny he didn't say anything on that questionable charge call on Johnson with a couple seconds left.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: iwu70 on March 31, 2014, 01:43:06 AM
The Titan nation, B/N community comes together tonight -- Monday, March 31st -- for reception/celebration for the 2013-14 National Semi-Finalists TITANS' squad -- 7:00 p.m. at The Shirk!  Congrats again to Coach Rose and all the TITANS on a great season, a Final Four run.  Another banner for The Shirk rafters.  Wish I could be there.

IWU70

Oh damn I missed it.  :D
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

AppletonRocks

Quote from: havej on March 31, 2014, 10:25:26 AM
twocentsworth - I'm down with you regarding Ryan.  He's a flat out bully on the sidelines the way he treats officials - just love when he points at one of them and screams "Come here!!"

Loved that play in the 2nd half when Arizona's big dribbled the ball off his knee and the ref kept it with Arizona and Ryan was immediately shown motioning that he wanted the action stopped.  Funny he didn't say anything on that questionable charge call on Johnson with a couple seconds left.

Questionable?  He pushed off with his left arm big time.  :'(
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AppletonRocks on March 31, 2014, 08:40:42 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on March 31, 2014, 01:43:06 AM

IWU70

Oh damn I missed it.  :D

I'm confident they didn't miss you.

sac

"The people in this state are crazy about basketball. They realize that they didn't invent it like some other states believe."  -- Bo Ryan

iwu70

Today -- April 2nd -- is "All In for Wesleyan" day -- trying to raise key dollars for student scholarship.  If you are an IWU alum, supporter, today is the day to give. 

It's easy -- to www.iwu.edu/challenge   

Matching gift by the Egbers family of US$250K -- so we can raise today US$500K or more for IWU.  We need everyone associated with IWU to be supportive.

Pardon the promo . . . pardon the pitch. 

All for a good cause.

IWU70