FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 25, 2014, 02:27:11 AM
Week 4 NRFP.

1.   Mount Union         80 pts (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2.   North Central        71 pts (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3)
T3. John Carroll          60 pts (2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4)
T3. Wabash                60 pts (3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5)
5.   Wittenberg           47 pts (4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6)
6.   Wheaton              42 pts (5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6)
7.   Adrian                  19 pts (7, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10, -)
8.   Heidelberg            17 pts (7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9, -, -)
9.   Ohio Northern       15 pts (8, 8, 8, 8, 9, 10, -, -)
10. Franklin                14 pts (7, 7, 9, 9, 10, 10, -, -)

ARV
Illinois Wesleyan         11 pts (7, 8, 9, 10, 10, -, -, -)
Mount St Joseph           2 pts (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Rose-Hulman                1 pt  (10, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

The North Region Fan Poll is voted on by Mr. Ypsi, smedindy, wally_wabash, USee, FCGrizzliesGead, NCF, Li'l Giant, and myself.

EDIT: I wish you all would have been awake at 2:27 when I posted this because it originally said "North Region Flan Poll." That's something entirely different.

I moved IWU out and Franklin back in. Otherwise mostly status quo for me. I never moved NCC/Wabash from 2/3 I have not moved JCU/wabash from 3/4. No justification for it. I think JCU beat up on a "worse than we thought" Heidi team. Although I would say its worse than you guys thought because I have never moved them from #9 in my poll all season.  ;D. I picked Franklin to move back in because MT St Joes won a ho hum game and, while I was a band wagon rider early with them, they have left me less than convinced. Wheaton maintains the #5 spot with Witt at 6 for me in pretty interchangeable spots that will sort itself out in the next few weeks. bottom of my poll is a toss up really.

Dr. Acula

4 OAC teams in the top 10.  Take a picture because that'll end after this weekend when Berg and ONU play!

Also, I think the ONU game is huge for Berg now in terms of their rep.  With a healthy Myers JCU is a legit top 10 team.  Their D is very good and Myers is obviously outstanding and, quite possibly, the most physically gifted player in the region.  Berg is not a top 10 team.  That being said they needed to show up last Saturday and they absolutely didn't.  IMO they need to beat ONU fairly convincingly (2 TD's?) this weekend to reassert themselves as being above the fray in the OAC.  ONU has shown signs of life offensively with Angle, Price, etc. and neither team has been great on defense.  Should be a fun game if you enjoy scoring. 

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 25, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
Also, I think the ONU game is huge for Berg now in terms of their rep.

Agreed.  ONU has a chance to vault themselves back into the OAC's upper echelon this week.  I hope they take it.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

smedindy

Quote from: Dr. Acula on September 25, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
4 OAC teams in the top 10.  Take a picture because that'll end after this weekend when Berg and ONU play!

Depends on a lot of things. If the ONU / Berg game is close, and no one else really impresses, then I could vote both of them again.

wally_wabash

Week 4 NRFP.

ARV

The North Region Fan Poll is voted on by Mr. Ypsi, smedindy, wally_wabash, USee, FCGrizzliesGead, NCF, Li'l Giant, and myself.

EDIT: I wish you all would have been awake at 2:27 when I posted this because it originally said "North Region Flan Poll." That's something entirely different.

I flipped NCC and Wabash this week.  Partly because NCC handled their business with Platteville (but I'm not sure Platteville is as good as people think...they get the WIAC amplifier) but also because Wabash wasn't great last week.  They weren't really in any danger at Denison, but five fumbles is just careless enough to be a yellow flag if not a red flag. 

I dropped Heidelberg all the way out.  Overreaction?  Probably.  But here's my thing with that team- they've now had four full years with some combination of Cartel Brooks, Mees, and Germany Woods and while they absolutely wipe out the really bad teams they play (of which there are many), every time they play a good team they face plant.  So I'm out on the Berg. 

I have no idea what to do with the bottom four in this thing.  I went Adrian, ONU, IWU, Franklin but I don't know.  I can't very well put Franklin ahead of IWU and I can't really do much with MSJ or RHIT because I really just don't think they're better than Franklin.  So I've got a massive logjam. 

Basically, whereas last year we had 9 really solid teams here, this year we've got what looks like maybe six really solid teams and then a whole bunch of meh afterward. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on September 25, 2014, 08:07:29 AM
I moved IWU out and Franklin back in.

I know you said the bottom is pretty much a toss-up, so I won't go hard after you for this, but I'm giving Mr. Ypsi a hard time elsewhere for a similar problem, so I'd better be consistent.

IWU beat Franklin head to head.  I don't really see how you can rank Franklin ahead of IWU unless Franklin's overall resume started to look better than IWU's (not just a little better, but a lot better), and right now it doesn't.  If IWU had lost to an 0-2 team last week, fine, I kind of get it, but they lost to a 3-0 team (we'll see just how good Simspon is as the season goes along).

Franklin's blowout loss to UWW (yes, competitive in the sense that they scored twice in the first quarter) and a blowout win against a yucky Anderson team does not really make a strong case to override the head-to-head IWU win over Franklin, does it?  Are Franklin's three "results" on the season better than IWU's three results?  I guess you can argue that IWU got Franklin at home and give them a one-score win at home as basically an "equal" result, but I think H2H wins still have to count for something.

USee

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 25, 2014, 03:43:54 PM

I know you said the bottom is pretty much a toss-up, so I won't go hard after you for this, but I'm giving Mr. Ypsi a hard time elsewhere for a similar problem, so I'd better be consistent.

IWU beat Franklin head to head.  I don't really see how you can rank Franklin ahead of IWU unless Franklin's overall resume started to look better than IWU's (not just a little better, but a lot better), and right now it doesn't.  If IWU had lost to an 0-2 team last week, fine, I kind of get it, but they lost to a 3-0 team (we'll see just how good Simspon is as the season goes along).

Franklin's blowout loss to UWW (yes, competitive in the sense that they scored twice in the first quarter) and a blowout win against a yucky Anderson team does not really make a strong case to override the head-to-head IWU win over Franklin, does it?  Are Franklin's three "results" on the season better than IWU's three results?  I guess you can argue that IWU got Franklin at home and give them a one-score win at home as basically an "equal" result, but I think H2H wins still have to count for something.

Wally has IWU at 9 and Franklin at 10. Me thinks you missed this.  ???

USee

I am interested in who has JCU at 2 over NCC?

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on September 25, 2014, 04:02:49 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on September 25, 2014, 03:43:54 PM

Wally has IWU at 9 and Franklin at 10. Me thinks you missed this.  ???

Me thinks you mis-read who I'm responding to.

I'm not yelling at Wally, I'm yelling at the guy who "moved IWU out and Franklin back in" :)

IWU 9, Franklin 10 is a ranking that I am fine with.    IWU should be ranked ahead of Franklin. 

For now, anyway, unless/until the overall body of work for Franklin supersedes the overall body of work for IWU.

USee

So much for my attempt at deflection!

I never let a good head to head result get in the way of a subjective ranking! I also think Mt St Joes is going to beat Franklin later this year but have Franklin ahead of them right now too. It's not too much of a stretch to think Franklin would win over IWU in a rematch. Nor is is too much of a stretch to say MtSJ will beat Franklin this year. Its a quagmire at the bottom.

I have em right where I want em!

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on September 25, 2014, 05:22:22 PM
It's not too much of a stretch to think Franklin would win over IWU in a rematch.

That's a fair statement, and if there is eventually some more data that supports Franklin being equal to or better than IWU (like, if Franklin kills the rest of their schedule while IWU gets hammered by NCC and Wheaton, and Simpson loses a few games), maybe I'll buy it.  But two weeks after IWU beat Franklin, it's hard for me to swallow.

Li'l Giant

Week 4 NRFP.

ARV

How do I get to vote in the flan poll? I'm Mexican. I'm well qualified.

I'm with Wally as to Heidelberg.

"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

BashDad

Quote from: USee on September 25, 2014, 05:22:22 PM
So much for my attempt at deflection!

I never let a good head to head result get in the way of a subjective ranking! I also think Mt St Joes is going to beat Franklin later this year but have Franklin ahead of them right now too. It's not too much of a stretch to think Franklin would win over IWU in a rematch. Nor is is too much of a stretch to say MtSJ will beat Franklin this year. Its a quagmire at the bottom.

I have em right where I want em!

Man. Polls are so stupid.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Li'l Giant on September 25, 2014, 08:21:57 PM
Week 4 NRFP.

ARV

How do I get to vote in the flan poll? I'm Mexican. I'm well qualified.

I'm with Wally as to Heidelberg.

Just send a PM to Old Pal Wes by Tuesday of each week.  I assume he is still taking new voters.

smedindy

Well, he IS a voter already. Unless Wes is really having a flan poll. Has to be better than 538's Burrito obsession!