WBB: SUNYAC

Started by SuperFan, November 24, 2004, 10:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WICB Sports

Coverage of Bombers basketball begins Tuesday at 5:40 p.m. Eastern time with Bombers Shootaround on 92 WICB (www.wicb.org).  Coverage of the women's contest between the Bombers and Oneonta tips off at 6 p.m., with Michael Polak and Matt McLaughlin with the call.

At 7:40 p.m., pregame coverage of the men's game begins on vicradio.org.  At 8 p.m., Nate March and Andrew Sidney have the call from the Ben Light Gymnasium on vicradio.org.

lom

Look for Cortland to struggle this week.  With point guard Maggie Byrne out for 4 weeks with the two wrist injuries, they could struggle at Brockport on Tuesday, and then at New Paltz and Oneonta this weekend.

zola

Greg Dunn experienced that short trip to an alternate reality today. You know. A game at Oswego impartially administered by a the Boys from Syracuse, IAABO 38. Remember when the Boys from Syracuse was a National Guard squadron? That was a great crew.

Coach Dunn really drew the short straw for his first game in Max Ziel Gymnasium. The Lakers have been 64-9, or so, at home for the last four years and close to that for at least the previous three.  I'm told that the legendary Jerry Welsh, Tom Murphy, and others understood the value of home court advantage and coach Broderick continues that tradition. Today's crew included The Book, The Whistle, and Shemp. Getting one of the first two in Oswego is tough but getting two is just plain unlucky. Disbelief was frequently the order of the day on the Brockport bench and with the Golden Eagles fans. Coach Dunn earns enormous positive karma for only drawing a single technical at exactly the right time.

Brockport opened the game with an up tempo 20 – 5 run and basically held on from there, up 13 at the half and closing up 16. Oswego had a couple of mini-runs but Brockport always responded.

Score aside, the Eagles and Lakers are great to watch. Both have speed, can push the ball, have shooters, and play their individual brands of tough defense. 

Today, Oswego ran a half court weave much of the game and got no scoring from 3. Nine Lakers got more than ten minutes but only four scored more than 3 points. Tommy Downing never got hot today and wasn't alone.

After the opening run, Brockport's Dave Moldanado and Mychal (Mych ?) Wilkes got into early foul trouble (see paragraph 2, above) and had their minutes held in check, 9 and 18 respectively. Brockport opened the game with Wilkes on the Laker's senior point Nick Perioli – a great match up to watch while it lasted. The Eagles pounded the ball inside and their guards dropped some great inside passing on Oswego. Brandon Williams is quick, strong, and fearless - 23 points, 9 boards. Still, the paint was frequently an unpleasant place for anyone trying to enter or anyone already there.

Without a major surprise, Brockport wins out (been wrong many times before) and Plattsburg faces the biggest challenge with a trip into Cortland on Friday the 22nd.

The tournament is shaping up to be a classic.  Spread the word and get your campuses and communities behind their teams. And if you're a hockey school, you might be surprised that you'll see the same game played – on the hardwood and, most of the time, without sticks.

Come out to watch and make noise.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: zola on February 10, 2008, 12:57:55 AM
Greg Dunn experienced that short trip to an alternate reality today. You know. A game at Oswego impartially administered by a the Boys from Syracuse, IAABO 38. Remember when the Boys from Syracuse was a National Guard squadron? That was a great crew.

Coach Dunn really drew the short straw for his first game in Max Ziel Gymnasium. The Lakers have been 64-9, or so, at home for the last four years and close to that for at least the previous three.  I'm told that the legendary Jerry Welsh, Tom Murphy, and others understood the value of home court advantage and coach Broderick continues that tradition. Today's crew included The Book, The Whistle, and Shemp. Getting one of the first two in Oswego is tough but getting two is just plain unlucky. Disbelief was frequently the order of the day on the Brockport bench and with the Golden Eagles fans. Coach Dunn earns enormous positive karma for only drawing a single technical at exactly the right time.

Brockport opened the game with an up tempo 20 – 5 run and basically held on from there, up 13 at the half and closing up 16. Oswego had a couple of mini-runs but Brockport always responded.

Score aside, the Eagles and Lakers are great to watch. Both have speed, can push the ball, have shooters, and play their individual brands of tough defense. 

Today, Oswego ran a half court weave much of the game and got no scoring from 3. Nine Lakers got more than ten minutes but only four scored more than 3 points. Tommy Downing never got hot today and wasn't alone.

After the opening run, Brockport's Dave Moldanado and Mychal (Mych ?) Wilkes got into early foul trouble (see paragraph 2, above) and had their minutes held in check, 9 and 18 respectively. Brockport opened the game with Wilkes on the Laker's senior point Nick Perioli – a great match up to watch while it lasted. The Eagles pounded the ball inside and their guards dropped some great inside passing on Oswego. Brandon Williams is quick, strong, and fearless - 23 points, 9 boards. Still, the paint was frequently an unpleasant place for anyone trying to enter or anyone already there.

Without a major surprise, Brockport wins out (been wrong many times before) and Plattsburg faces the biggest challenge with a trip into Cortland on Friday the 22nd.

The tournament is shaping up to be a classic.  Spread the word and get your campuses and communities behind their teams. And if you're a hockey school, you might be surprised that you'll see the same game played – on the hardwood and, most of the time, without sticks.

Come out to watch and make noise.

You posted this in the women's forum.

picabo

Quote from: Caz Bombers on August 14, 2007, 10:27:40 PM
We'll see.  Hartwick hasn't been any good in several years now, and an E8 poster or two with knowledge of the 'Wick program (certainly not me) implied there was some player/coach friction going on.

However, from Hartwick's end, letting what was  your most successful D3 coach simply walk across town after 15 years is yet another indication of their refusal to even try and compete in any of their sports.  Gosh, I'm ever so glad (/sarcasm) that Ithaca is stuck in the same league as those yahoos.

Actually, the posters have no clue what they're talking about.  I've been following Hartwick closely since 1994-94.  Coach Thompson is the best coach the program has ever had.  Now that she's at SUCO, I'm a SUCO fan (but still a Hartwick fan).
I'll spare all of you a lengthy history lesson, but if you're curious, just read some of my earlier posts in the E8 forum.

Bear Fan

Nice wins for Oswego and Potsdam last night... all SUNYAC Final Four... should be a good weekend in Oneonta.  Heres hoping the Bears can build on their playoff experience for next year! 

OshDude

Any volleyball fans? I posted on my blog a Nationals Guide similar to the ones I did for the St. Thomas and Oshkosh regionals. Check it out if you're interested in New Paltz and/or D-III VB.

thebear

Potsdam beat Ithaca 68-66.  Potsdam junior Rachel Graf (Elbridge, NY) took an inbounds pass with .6 left on the clock, turned and banked a 6 footer for the win.  Graf led all scorers with 21, also scoring in double figures for the Lady Bears were Cortney Poirier (Moira, NY) with 14, Hannah Fairchild (Brushton, NY) with 11, and Molly Krauza (Fredonia, NY) with 11.

Potsdam had a 30-18 edge in rebounding, and held Ithaca to 4 offensive rebounds.

Katherine Bixby (Philadelphia, PA) led the Lady Bombers with 16, and was aided by Lindsay Brown (Danbury, CT) with 12, Tracy Bradley(Brunswick, ME) with 11, and Elissa Klie(Wyckoff, NJ) with 11.

Potsdam moves to 3-1 on the season, while Ithaca drops to 3-3.  The win is significant because the Bombers had beaten SUNYAC powers Cortland & Oswego on the road in the past week.

Potsdam's next game is at Clarkson on Tuesday in a 6 PM start.  The Bombers host 2007 NCAA Elite 8 team William Smith at the Bulb on Tuesday.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

TheNextLevel

Potsdam is a contender in the SUNYAC this year.  Coach Ruckh has really turned that program around.  Ithaca is a team that is well coached and will always get better as the season continues.  It helped Postdam that asst. coach Molly Brennan is an Ithaca grad. (a little inside info always helps!)

thebear

Potsdam women move to 8-1 with a 75-68 decision at Skidmore.

Bears are led by Sr. F. Moe Curley with 20 pts and 9 rebounds.  Juniors Rachel Graf. Cortney Poirier, and Molly Krauza
had 13, 12 & 10 pts respectively, while senior Center Kelsey Shoen had 10 rebounds and 6 assists. 

Junior Sharlyn Harper came off the bench for the Thorughbreds to lead all scorers with 24 points, including 5x9 from beyond the arc.

Bears make the long road trip to Buffalo and Fredonia this weekend.  Winning streak now at 8 straight.

Seniors on this team (Shoen & Curley) were 2-23 as freshmen.  Major turnaround for the Bears under Tara Ruckh.

- Sgt. Joe Friday

sportznut

East division of SUNYAC is tough this year.  Cortland, Oneonta, Potsdam and New Paltz all beating up on each other... 

What has happened to the West teams??  The west was dominate there for about 5 years with the exception of Cortland and now they are horrible.  Buffalo State, Geneseo- combined 5 wins between them and 2 of Geneseo's are against a below par RIT team...  Brockport is struggling and Fredonia will in conference.  My how times have changed...

thebear

Quote from: sportznut on January 16, 2009, 02:50:32 PM
East division of SUNYAC is tough this year.  Cortland, Oneonta, Potsdam and New Paltz all beating up on each other... 

What has happened to the West teams??  The west was dominate there for about 5 years with the exception of Cortland and now they are horrible.  Buffalo State, Geneseo- combined 5 wins between them and 2 of Geneseo's are against a below par RIT team...  Brockport is struggling and Fredonia will in conference.  My how times have changed...

Was sort of true last year as well, four of the top 5 seeds were in the east.  Brockport won the title, but also lost in the regular season to Potsdam who finished 4th in the east.

The scary thing is there are few graduation losses among the top four teams in the East, who heading into the meat of conference play have a combined 40-8 record, 17-1 in conference and 23-7 out of conference.

Oneonta and New Paltz are at Potsdam this weekend, so that should clarify who's the real deal at least for a while.

Should be a fun six weeks.
- Sgt. Joe Friday

FranElia

Just to let you know, there are no divisions in SUNYAC basketball this year. That was a one-year situation in 2007-08 when there were 12 teams. With SUNYIT's departure, the league has returned to an 11-team, non-division set up with an unbalanced schedule.

Fran Elia
Cortland SID

atn alum

Hi

Just letting you know that the games at the Brandeis regional (including Brockport-Mount St. Mary) can be heard at

http://d3hoops.com/audio

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.