FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fannosaurus Rex

Here is my history with the RCA.  When I got to Central in 1967 there were forms to be filled out.  On the line, "Church Affiliation," I wrote, "None."  Four years later, when I got copies of my transcripts, I found out that my, "Church Affiliation," was, "Reformed."  It wasn't exactly changing water into wine but it seemed miraculous to me.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

Schipper Strong

When I worked at Central we had a Reformed Church Grant that later became part of a Heritage Grant. It gave Grant money to anyone who claimed to be RCA members. Third Reformed Church was hugely popular with the students and many would come in and say they were now eligible for that grant. In order to qualify they had to change their religious affiliation. Not saying that was the case with you, but I am sure we had kids do that who never easy foot in the church.

But to add to the history, Central was established by the Baptist Church who then sold it to the RCA to focus on Des Moines University another Baptist affiliated college.

Schipper Strong

Go Dutch! Beat the Kohawks and get back to the NCAA playoffs. Also congratulation to Blaine Hawkins and Jon Alberts on winning conference players of the week. I can't believe how fast the end of the season comes. Glad we have a shot at extra games.

Outside the Crate

You're beginning to make us German Lutherans uncomfortable.  We do lots of ethnic (a.k.a. "German") things at Wartburg, but we don't brag about it as much as the Dutch.  I think it's the war...  Anyway, we're the Knights (Wartburg Castle), we eat in the Mensa, we have coffee in the Konditorei or the Den-Rittersaal.  The Chapel looks German.  While students come from 58 countries and 38 states, a lot of them look German.  The organ recital I attended this afternoon was the monthly "Bach's Lunch."  To top it all off, we like our bratwurst and beer...and for homecoming they back the beer truck right into the center of campus.  So there!

Schipper Strong

Finish strong Dutch! 22 seniors are finishing their regular season career today. It has been a privilege to watch you and your leadership to this team. Go out with  conference championship to your credit.

Old Dutch

Congrats to the DUTCH . First championship in a decade, thats a long time, but now that you're there it feels good.

The mock bracket had us going to Hope, that would be cool, but a home game would be even better!  Good chance Wartburg gets in also so we have a chance to up the standing of the the IIAC . I mean ARC :-X

Congrats to all seniors extending their career by another week at a time.  Make it work!  Go Dutch!
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974

Schipper Strong

Congratulations to Wartburg and Central for winning the conference.  Good luck to both teams in the playoffs! Thinking positively here! Nice game for Central today. I had to watch on video today and wish the camera operator paid more attention to if the camera was centered on the play or not. Congratulations to Jon Alberts on a perfect regular season of extra point kicks! Congratulations to Blaine Hawkins and his receivers on making so many records fall this year. It has been way too long since we were last in the playoffs, so glad to have the automatic berth. Go out and have some fun with the experience while also playing your best football of the year.

Congratulations to all the seniors who played their final game today around the conference and nation. So glad all of you do what you do, putting your bodies through all kinds of punishment and pain so we can sit in the stands and sometimes our couches to watch. I salute you!

coocooforcoekohawk

Quote from: Outside the Crate on November 15, 2019, 05:27:36 PM
Anyway, we're the Knights (Wartburg Castle), we eat in the Mensa, we have coffee in the Konditorei or the Den-Rittersaal. So there!

...and burglar burgers form McDonalds :o
I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends. They're in my head.  I'm so ugly, that's okay, 'cause so are you!

DBQ1965

Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 14, 2019, 06:25:57 PM
As I've heard said around west Michigan ... If you're not Dutch you're not much.  I love the prospects of a Hope - Central matchup ... the Flying Dutch vs. the Dutch.  If Lake Michigan wasn't in the way, I could envision regular games between MIAA teams and IIAC/ARC teams.  If the matchup does come to passin Holland, I will be on the visitors side in a red hat cheering on "my" Conference.

On second thought ... why would 9-1 Hope get to host a game and 9-1 Central have to go on the road when the MIAA can't measure up to the IIAC/ARC?   ;)  This could all be moot by this time tomorrow.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

Outside the Crate

Congratulations to Central and Wartburg, co-champions in football of the ARC. It's three in a row for the Knights, and that's sweet.  Today's game with Loras was awfully lopsided, but after the Central game I think the Knights decided they needed an exclamation point for those deciding whether there will be a Week 12 for the Knights.  Since St. Thomas beat Bethel, and both have 2 losses, I think things are looking up for the ARC.

In other news, Wartburg's cross country teams finished first in the men's regional today in Waverly, and the women finished second.  As I write this the Wartburg women's soccer team leads Concordia Univ Wisconsin 4-0 in the NCAA soccer playoffs.  So, another good day for the Knights!

Schipper Strong

Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 16, 2019, 06:40:21 PM
As I've heard said around west Michigan ... If you're not Dutch you're not much.  I love the prospects of a Hope - Central matchup ... the Flying Dutch vs. the Dutch.  If Lake Michigan wasn't in the way, I could envision regular games between MIAA teams and IIAC/ARC teams.  If the matchup does come to passin Holland, I will be on the visitors side in a red hat cheering on "my" Conference.

On second thought ... why would 9-1 Hope get to host a game and 9-1 Central have to go on the road when the MIAA can't measure up to the IIAC/ARC?   ;)  This could all be moot by this time tomorrow.
Hope is most welcome to come to Central and play once again in Schipper Stadium named after a Hope grad.

And back to the historical trivia, Central used to be the Flying Dutchman just like Hope. We changed it to the Dutch years ago, but Flying Dutchman is still in our fight song just like CUI is still in our school song.

doolittledog

Congrats to the Dutch for earning the ARC playoff spot.  Fingers crossed Wartburg can get an at-large bid.  I'm hoping for deep playoff runs for the ARC representatives.  And I am also going into the off-season full of hope as Dubuque ends the year on a 6 game winning streak!!!
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

sjujohnnie

Looks like d3football.com is projecting that Wartburg will travel to Collegeville to face St John's in the opening round. Any idea how the two teams would match up?

Schipper Strong

I like this projection much better than the previous one as it does not have the winner of the Central/Hope game playing the winner of the Mount Union game.  :) Would love for Central to get a first round home game, but I am just glad to finally be back in the playoffs. Can't wait to find out for sure later today.

I would think Wartburg and St. John's would be a good game. I don't know how they would match up as far as strengths and weaknesses, but from Central's games with the Johnnies of the past, it would be a fun game to watch.

Old Dutch

Quote from: Schipper Strong on November 16, 2019, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: DBQ1965 on November 16, 2019, 06:40:21 PM

Hope is most welcome to come to Central and play once again in Schipper Stadium named after a Hope grad.

And back to the historical trivia, Central used to be the Flying Dutchman just like Hope. We changed it to the Dutch years ago, but Flying Dutchman is still in our fight song just like CUI is still in our school song.

I remember those Flying Dutchman T-shirts in the 70's . As I recall part of the change away from Flying Dutchman was about it being part of slave trades for Dutch East India Company.  Upon checking with Wikipedia (its not worth heavy research!) The Flying Dutchman is  a mythological Ghost ship, captained by one Van der Decken who "was a staunch seaman, and would have his own way in spite of the devil"

I like the episode of the Simpsons, Captain Horatio McCallister or just simply the Sea Captain is a sea captain and owner of the Frying Dutchman Restaurant..
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974