BB: General Central Region Discussion

Started by RSSmith, July 10, 2009, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSSmith

Roosevelt University (Chicago) is reinstating intercollegiate athletics, intending to enter DIII in 2011.

http://www.roosevelt.edu/athletics/
A walk is never as good as a hit!

WLCALUM83

With the boatloads of Chicago area D3 and non-D3 squads, the opportunity to compete is definitely there.

mr_b

Quote from: RSSmith on July 10, 2009, 01:38:57 PM
Roosevelt University (Chicago) is reinstating intercollegiate athletics, intending to enter DIII in 2011.

I wonder if they will apply for membership in either the CCIW or NathCon.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mr_b on July 11, 2009, 12:18:25 PM

I know that Mr B is on top of this, but for our other readers, Roosevelt needs to get the paper work going early.

We should see Roosevelt's name on the Exploratory list before they enter the provisional process.

We should have the 2009-10 list of provisionals and exploratories from the NCAA in mid August.

(pabegg (RIP) found the list in mid August of 2008 at Post 1462.)

They may need to compete in something like the USCAA, if they cannot get in the NCAA as quickly as they would like.

Membership timeline

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/NCAA/About%20The%20NCAA/Membership/Membership%20Requirements%20and%20Waivers/Division%20III/Educational%20Program/Calendar_Activities

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 11, 2009, 12:56:32 PM
Quote from: mr_b on July 11, 2009, 12:18:25 PM

I know that Mr B is on top of this, but for our other readers, Roosevelt needs to get the paper work going early.

We should see Roosevelt's name on the Exploratory list before they enter the provisional process.

We should have the 2009-10 list of provisionals and exploratories from the NCAA in mid August.

(pabegg (RIP) found the list in mid August of 2008 at Post 1462.)

They may need to compete in something like the USCAA, if they cannot get in the NCAA as quickly as they would like.

Membership timeline

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/NCAA/About%20The%20NCAA/Membership/Membership%20Requirements%20and%20Waivers/Division%20III/Educational%20Program/Calendar_Activities

The USCAA will probably not take them since they have a fairly large enrollment (from a D3 prspeective) and if I remember right the USCAA requires you to have something like 1500 or fewer students. Somewhere I read that Roosevelt was planning on joining the NAIA to get off the ground and then join the D3.

Just Bill

Roosevelt plans to play in the NAIA until they acheive NCAA III status.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

Big Poppa's Pre-season All-Central Region Team
1st team:
P- Mike Giovenco (NPU), Tim Urbanowicz (Wheaton), Cody Raisch (Coe)
C- Mike Corrigan (North Central)
1B- Pat Richmond (Coe)
2B- Brett Moore (IWU)
SS- Brian Kolb (Wheaton)
3B- Nick Beaman (Ripon)
OF- Brandon Pietrzyk (Buena Vista), Jared Yost (SNC), Kraig Ladd (IWU), Andy Athens (NPU)
UTL- Mike Kovach (Beloit)
DH- Joe Biagini (Webster)

2nd team:
P- Mario Perez (Carthage), Jordon DeGeorge (Beloit), Will Savage (Webster)
C- Kevin Clower (Buena Vista)
1B- Hunter Nelson (Beloit)
2B- Chris Reynolds (Luther)
SS- Ryan Schmitz (Beloit)
3B- Zach Hofer (Elmhurst)
OF- Jarred Lackey (Central), Patrick Grau (Wartburg), Ryan Kolvick (Coe), Matt Abraham (North Central)
UTL- Tony Jandron (SNC)
DH- Mike Nodzenski (Grinnell)

Player of the Year- Brandon Pietrzyk (Buena Vista)
Pitcher of the year- Mike Giovenco (North Park)

*This was just something to pass the time until opening day. Feel free to critique or add your own.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

As a whole the conference breakdowns occur this way:

CCIW- 10
IIAC- 9
MWC- 7
SLIAC- 2
IND- 0 (WashU, Chicago, Nebraska Wesleyan)

Captain Morgan

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 03, 2010, 12:40:07 PM
Big Poppa's Pre-season All-Central Region Team
1st team:
P- Mike Giovenco (NPU), Tim Urbanowicz (Wheaton), Cody Raisch (Coe)
C- Mike Corrigan (North Central)
1B- Pat Richmond (Coe)
2B- Brett Moore (IWU)
SS- Brian Kolb (Wheaton)
3B- Nick Beaman (Ripon)
OF- Brandon Pietrzyk (Buena Vista), Jared Yost (SNC), Kraig Ladd (IWU), Andy Athens (NPU)
UTL- Mike Kovach (Beloit)
DH- Joe Biagini (Webster)

2nd team:
P- Mario Perez (Carthage), Jordon DeGeorge (Beloit), Will Savage (Webster)
C- Kevin Clower (Buena Vista)
1B- Hunter Nelson (Beloit)
2B- Chris Reynolds (Luther)
SS- Ryan Schmitz (Beloit)
3B- Zach Hofer (Elmhurst)
OF- Jarred Lackey (Central), Patrick Grau (Wartburg), Ryan Kolvick (Coe), Matt Abraham (North Central)
UTL- Tony Jandron (SNC)
DH- Mike Nodzenski (Grinnell)

Player of the Year- Brandon Pietrzyk (Buena Vista)
Pitcher of the year- Mike Giovenco (North Park)

*This was just something to pass the time until opening day. Feel free to critique or add your own.

BP- Looks pretty solid and the CCIW lost a ton of talent from last year to graduation. The IIAC appears to have a very solid group of players back this year. The SLIAC is all Webster and the MWC is rising. Why no love for WashU?

Mr. Ypsi

BP,

Am I correct in guessing that Brent Kulavic is missing from your selections only because you are waiting to see if he can return to his sophomore level after his surgery?

Or would all these other pitchers still be ahead of him in your view?

BigPoppa

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 03, 2010, 05:14:53 PM
BP,

Am I correct in guessing that Brent Kulavic is missing from your selections only because you are waiting to see if he can return to his sophomore level after his surgery?

Or would all these other pitchers still be ahead of him in your view?

You are correct... also the same reason that Carthage's Chris Krepline is missing. Both are coming off injuries. Both Krepline and Kulavic had HUGE seasons in 2008 only to spend 2009 on the shelf.

golfguywaltham

Who are the freshman to watch in the Central Region this year? And what might their impact be?

BigPoppa

Right now, two stand out, but I am certain there are many more.

* Tyler Wilson- Augustana: Currently hitting .438 and appears to be getting playing time in most of their games. I'd look for him to be a regular if he continues to swing it like he is. The Vikings are 8-0 and they are somewhat young so the chances of him staying in the lineup are pretty good.

*Matt Blumenreich- Grinnell: Hitting at a .444 clip right now. Not bad for a new guy, but needs to start getting a few more extra-base hits. He should be an everyday guy at Grinnell (which is a struggling program right now) and can continue to add to his numbers if he stays in the line-up. I know it is early, but his .750% in the field needs to increase in a hurry as I know of no college programs that will continue to run an infielder out there who may be a defensive liability without extra-base offensive capabilities.

I know there has to be a few more guys out there, but researching statistics of almost 40 central region teams is very time-consuming. It took me a few hours to come up with these two guys.

CCIWFAN6

One freshman that could have a huge impact is Kevin Callahan from IWU. Currently, he is hitting .292 which is less than stellar, but through 7 games he has already hit 2 bombs.  I actually got a chance to watch a game in which he hit one of the homeruns.  He is big, lefthanded hitter and the homerun was a bomb to left center.  The short porch in right @ IWU may also help the freshman put up big power numbers. For a team that has struggled on the mound so far, his bat could make the difference.

TurtleHead

I was bored and was just taking a look at how the players are doing that were projected as all central region.     

I added a couple of players from the MWC that seem to be having great years that could easily step in and take a spot

If anyone has anyone else in mind please add to the discussion.

All-Central Region Team
1st team:
P- Mike Giovenco (NPU) 2-1,  1.35 ERA, 25 strike outs, Opp B/Avg .162
P- Tim Urbanowicz (Wheaton) 0-1, 3.50 ERA, Opp B/Avg .282
P- Cody Raisch (Coe) 1-2, 2.76 ERA, Opp b/avg .238
C- Mike Corrigan (North Central) .375 avg.  Stats only showing for first 2 games.
1B- Pat Richmond (Coe) .317 avg, .366 slg%, 1.000 fld%
2B- Brett Moore (IWU) .111 avg. Only 2 starts.  Believe has been injured most for year.
SS- Brian Kolb (Wheaton) .476 avg, .643 slg%, .917 fld %
3B- Nick Beaman (Ripon) .483 avg, .724 slg%, .913 fld%
OF- Brandon Pietrzyk (Buena Vista) .500 avg, .917 fld%, 1.000 fld%
OF- Jared Yost (SNC), .372 avg, .535 slg%, .944 fld%
OF- Kraig Ladd (IWU) .194 avg, .182 slg%, 1.000 fld%
OF- Andy Athens (NPU) .500 avg, 614 slg%, 1.000 fld%
UTL- Mike Kovach (Beloit) .267 avg, .300 slg% .867 fld%
DH- Joe Biagini (Webster) .323 avg, .355 slg%, 1.000 fld% 

2nd team:
P- Mario Perez (Carthage), 1-1, .82 ERA, 19 strike outs, Opp B/avg .177
P- Jordon DeGeorge (Beloit) 2-0, 4.50 ERA, Opp B/avg .205
P-Will Savage (Webster) 0-0, 1.38 ERA, Opp B/avg .174
C- Kevin Kloewer (Buena Vista) .077 avg, .077 slg%, 1.000 fld%
1B- Hunter Nelson (Beloit) .364 avg, .515 slg%, .988 fld%
2B- Chris Reynolds (Luther) .125 avg, .125 slg%, 1.000 fld%
SS- Ryan Schmitz (Beloit) .517 avg, .586 slg%, .897 fld%
3B- Zach Hofer (Elmhurst) – Only played in one game this year.
OF- Jarred Lackey (Central) .563 avg, .688 slg%, 1.000 fld%
OF- Patrick Grau (Wartburg) .324 avg, .920 fld%
OF- Ryan Velvick (Coe) .455 avg, .697 slg%, .850 fld%
OF- Matt Abraham (North Central) 0.00 avg.  Stats only showing for first 2 games.
UTL- Tony Jandron (SNC) .472 avg, .722 slg%, .878 fld%, Pitching- 2-0, 3.46 ERA
DH- Mike Nodzenski (Grinnell)-Has not played in 2010.

2010 Potential Nominees.
P- Alex Norman (Beloit) 2-0, 0.69 ERA, Opp B/avg. .280
OF- Nate Paul (Ripon) .565 avg, 1.043 slg%, 1.000 fld%
There's only two things I can't stand in this world. Those who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

If you've got an issue, here's your tissue.