Compelling reasons to move from D3 to D2?

Started by LM3, August 29, 2017, 09:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - a source confirms that Benedictine did officially apply for DII membership. We won't know an answer until June at the earliest from the NCAA/DII.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: justafan12 on February 05, 2018, 03:16:32 PM
UT Tyler has officially applied for DII status.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-tyler-submits-ncaa-division-ii-athletics-application/article_9cfbd9d8-0827-11e8-bfef-fb451e040960.html

"We believe investing in a strong athletics program yields returns in several key areas including student and alumni engagement, brand awareness and school spirit," said Dr. Michael Tidwell, UT Tyler president. "Playing at the more competitive Division II level will bring additional excitement to our athletics events, as well as provide new opportunities for new scholarships."

I just hate this attitude, because:

(1) there was and is nothing keeping them from "investing in a strong athletics program" at the D3 level.
(2) at the apparently 'less competitive Division III level' UT-T's best finish in the NACDA Directors Cup standing was a 16th three years ago, keyed by such marquee sports as golf, softball, tennis, and T&F.   UT-T always shows up big in spring sports but have had markedly less success in the fall and winter. 

They're a better fit for the all-public school Lone Star Conference than the largely private school-based ASC anyway.   Buh-bye. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 07, 2018, 08:49:03 AM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-tyler-submits-ncaa-division-ii-athletics-application/article_9cfbd9d8-0827-11e8-bfef-fb451e040960.html

"We believe investing in a strong athletics program yields returns in several key areas including student and alumni engagement, brand awareness and school spirit," said Dr. Michael Tidwell, UT Tyler president. "Playing at the more competitive Division II level will bring additional excitement to our athletics events, as well as provide new opportunities for new scholarships."

(1) there was and is nothing keeping them from "investing in a strong athletics program" at the D3 level.
(2) at the apparently 'less competitive Division III level' UT-T's best finish in the NACDA Directors Cup standing was a 16th three years ago, keyed by such marquee sports as golf, softball, tennis, and T&F.   UT-T always shows up big in spring sports but have had markedly less success in the fall and winter. 

They're a better fit for the all-public school Lone Star Conference than the largely private school-based ASC anyway.   Buh-bye.
Not to say that UTT has not been strong in the fall sports, tho'. The fall teams are always in the top half of the conference in the sports in which they compete, M&W XC, M&W Soccer, VB.

Were I assigning a "All-Sports" trophy in the ASC, UTT would probably win it more often than any other school in the last decade.

It is back to a 12-school ASC now.  I see no apparent future members at this time.

I wonder if there is a move inside UTD to change the emphasis of their intercollegiate profile now.

justafan12

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 07, 2018, 08:49:03 AM

Note that the President made those observations after being on the job a little over one year.  As I mentioned earlier it was his goal to make this move when he took the position.

It is probably a good move as I have heard rumblings that the ASC private schools may leave the ASC and form their own conference.  They have long wanted to bump UT Tyler and UT Dallas (state schools) out of the conference but could not since Sul Ross, who is a state school, was a charter member of the conference.

UT Dallas would be a prime candidate to jump ship as well.  They are very competitive in most D3 sports (basketball, softball, baseball and VB come to mind) but not sure their facilities are up to snuff.

Ralph Turner

Re: UT-D

In a SWOT (Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities Threats) analysis of a potential move from D3 to D2, facilities would come up as something UTD would need to address.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

DII more competitive than DIII? Bull****.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

justafan12

I have heard today is the vote day for D3 schools moving to D2.

Also UT Dallas "exploring" a move to D2.

https://utdmercury.com/utd-considers-dii-move/

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not really how it works...

Schools interested in applying to DII are required to get their application in prior to February 1. DII then spends the next five months looking into the applications with site visits, meetings, meetings... there are also meetings and phone calls. LOL

They make the decision by July 1. That said, I do know they have not announced the decisions on Tyler and Benedictine... so there is a decent chance this bled into a later point in the month. I am working to determine that as we speak.

That said, for anyone curious... this has NO affect on Frostburg. They didn't apply by the Feb. 1 deadline. Their application won't be considered until next year.

As for UT-Dallas... I'm told most UTs that aren't D1 are being asked to consider it. That is a very easy way to describe the request. It is a bit complicated, but those in charge overall ... I've been told there is a group that would love to see all UTs in D1 (SMH) and another that likes how there is a solid chunk in DIII and elsewhere. I talked with someone about the idea of UT-Dallas making this move... they didn't think it was reality. UT-Dallas has made some significant changes to their academics to be a lot like the UAAs of the world. To go DII would make a lot of those efforts more complicated. It just didn't seem realistic to do both. That is the sense I got from individuals who know a lot more about the inner workings in Texas than I could.

justafan12

I was told by a UT Tyler coach that the NCAA vote was 7/13 and that the school has a press conference scheduled for 3:00 pm today.  Maybe the vote was held prior but the announcement by the NCAA is today.  And, of course press conferences can be cancelled.

I think the main reason for UT Dallas to go is their size.  They are the number 2 in D3 enrollment in the nation according to the article I read.  I believe they have approximately 40,000 students.  Their facilities are okay but not near what UT Tyler has . 

Gregory Sager

Size and format. Roughly half of D2 consists of public schools, whereas only a fifth of D3 consists of public schools.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: justafan12 on July 13, 2018, 02:40:21 PM
I was told by a UT Tyler coach that the NCAA vote was 7/13 and that the school has a press conference scheduled for 3:00 pm today.  Maybe the vote was held prior but the announcement by the NCAA is today.  And, of course press conferences can be cancelled.

I think the main reason for UT Dallas to go is their size.  They are the number 2 in D3 enrollment in the nation according to the article I read.  I believe they have approximately 40,000 students.  Their facilities are okay but not near what UT Tyler has .

Vote likely could happen today. I never heard back from my contacts to confirm that. I was under the impression most of this was already wrapped up, honestly.

And I get the idea with UTD and I explained why I think some want them to look at it... but NYU isn't DII or DI :).

Again, I've been told with UTD trying to be more of a research institution... being anywhere but in DIII doesn't make sense. That was other's opinions.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

So yes... membership committee had to formally make a decision and that appears to have been coming today. I am told releases coming soon.

Basically... I don't see this as anything but a rubber stamp.

And to clarify for anyone wondering... this does NOT involve Frostburg. I felt like that needed to be repeated.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 22, 2018, 04:09:00 PM
I on case no one saw the tweets or the front page: http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/09/benedictine-to-return-to-d3

From the article:
Quote. Michael Brophy, who was president of Benedictine University for the past two years, left unexpectedly in August,

No doubt another college president with delusions that moving from D3 to D2 would somehow solve all that ails the school.  Buh-bye.