FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonroviaCat

Quote from: RFB on October 11, 2017, 07:42:36 PM
Quote from: OxyBob on October 11, 2017, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: RFB on October 11, 2017, 06:53:06 PM
Hey, you leave the "homerun king*" out of this.

A Pola-roid says a thousand words.

OxyBob

Roger Clemens see's nothing wrong with this.
i dunno...Clemens walked Bonds in 5 of the 8 times he faced him
Go Cats!

DFWCrufan

Quote from: wildcat11 on October 11, 2017, 04:14:47 PM
Quote from: OxyBob on October 11, 2017, 03:10:29 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 11, 2017, 01:49:34 PM
How is that weenie snowflake attitude?

"All it takes is one girl's hard work and stubborn refusal to accept archaic gender norms to force scouts and executives to accept elite talent, regardless of what body it is packaged in." The very idea that a woman could play in the big leagues is a joke. Speculating about it is a joke. Are you telling me a woman could be on a major league roster and be one of the 750 greatest players in the world? Ridiculous.

OxyBob

Are you trying to tell me that Joan of Arc couldn't hit a curve ball?

Joan had tried out for her local baseball club, but it was determined she could not play because her sword kept destroying the balls when at bat. Also, the guys felt she had an unfair edge because she was told what the pitches would be by God. Great opportunity but again.. had a unfair advantage.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

OxyBob

Quote from: DFWCrufan on October 12, 2017, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: wildcat11 on October 11, 2017, 04:14:47 PM
Are you trying to tell me that Joan of Arc couldn't hit a curve ball?
Also, the guys felt she had an unfair edge because she was told what the pitches would be by God.

You do realize the very first baseball game is described in the Bible. Genesis 1:1 -- "In the big inning God created the heavens and the Earth."

OxyBob

smedindy

"All it takes is one girl's hard work and stubborn refusal to accept archaic gender norms to force scouts and executives to accept elite talent, regardless of what body it is packaged in." The very idea that a woman could play in the big leagues is a joke. Speculating about it is a joke. Are you telling me a woman could be on a major league roster and be one of the 750 greatest players in the world? Ridiculous.

OxyBob

Not now, of course. But many years ago people thought it was ridiculous for women to run a marathon. But some women stubbornly refused to accept archaic gender norms and forced their way in.

Now, the women's record is either 2:15 or 2:17 depending on if it's a mixed-sex race or a women's only race. That's not quite with the men, of course, but it's pretty darn good and some speculate that women could out-do the men in a marathon in 20 years or so.

Many years ago, a woman coaching in the NBA would be looked at with disdain, but the Spurs have Becky Hammon, and Popovich even let her coach a pre-season game while he sat in the stands this year.

So, it's ludicrous to think it NEVER could happen. Not in a power position, but as a LOOGY or a middle infielder, why not?

smedindy

Quote from: olddog on October 11, 2017, 05:56:20 PM

OxyBob
It amazes me a human being on this planet gives  "a woman playing in the majors" that much thought,  priceless Bob....we wonder why the college age kids have less common sense than ever when we go to hire them.

I'm 51 and I've thought about this - how it could happen. Someone who's got speed, a good glove, can bunt - or a lefty with some dazzling breaking stuff. Yeah, it could happen.

Not now - but you never say never.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

RFB

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 03:02:25 PM

OxyBob

Not now, of course. But many years ago people thought it was ridiculous for women to run a marathon. But some women stubbornly refused to accept archaic gender norms and forced their way in.

Now, the women's record is either 2:15 or 2:17 depending on if it's a mixed-sex race or a women's only race. That's not quite with the men, of course, but it's pretty darn good and some speculate that women could out-do the men in a marathon in 20 years or so.

Many years ago, a woman coaching in the NBA would be looked at with disdain, but the Spurs have Becky Hammon, and Popovich even let her coach a pre-season game while he sat in the stands this year.

So, it's ludicrous to think it NEVER could happen. Not in a power position, but as a LOOGY or a middle infielder, why not?

It won't happen because of this thing called, biology.

OxyBob

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 03:03:55 PM
Quote from: olddog on October 11, 2017, 05:56:20 PM
The very idea that a woman could play in the big leagues is a joke.
It amazes me a human being on this planet gives  "a woman playing in the majors" that much thought
Someone who's got speed, a good glove, can bunt - or a lefty with some dazzling breaking stuff. Yeah, it could happen.

So you're saying there's a female Brett Butler, Juan Pierre or Maury Wills out there somewhere? Yeah, right. A lady Jim Kaat or Tom Glavine? Yeah, right again.

The world record for the women's 100 meter dash is 10.49 seconds, set by Florence Griffith-Joyner (RIP) in 1988. Charlie Paddock ran 10.4 in 1923.

Equality does not mean equal.

And as for a woman playing in the majors, I quote Bill Burr -- "Is there anything guys can just have?"

OxyBob

D O.C.

OxyBob

You must be kidding. 2:15 wouldn't even put a woman within 5 minutes of the top 3,000 men all-time. You're daft thinking a woman will ever run a marathon as fast as a man.

OxyBob

Gray Fox

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 05:37:54 PM

You must be kidding. 2:15 wouldn't even put a woman within 5 minutes of the top 3,000 men all-time. You're daft thinking a woman will ever run a marathon as fast as a man.

OxyBob
Nobody thought there would be a four minute mile either.
Fierce When Roused

OxyBob

Quote from: Gray Fox on October 12, 2017, 06:12:06 PM

Oh, no, not you, too.

No woman has come close to running a four-minute mile. The women's all-time record in the mile is 4:12.56, set in 1968. Heck, I ran against Curtis Beck (Santa Monica HS) in 1972, when he ran 4:02 as a high school junior. Mary Decker ran the American women's all-time best time -- 4:16.71 -- in 1985, which was after she tripped over Zola Budd in 1984.

OxyBob

CalCat

Quote from: OxyBob on October 12, 2017, 06:40:53 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on October 12, 2017, 06:12:06 PM

Oh, no, not you, too.

No woman has come close to running a four-minute mile. The women's all-time record in the mile is 4:12.56, set in 1968. Heck, I ran against Curtis Beck (Santa Monica HS) in 1972, when he ran 4:02 as a high school junior. Mary Decker ran the American women's all-time best time -- 4:16.71 -- in 1985, which was after she tripped over Zola Budd in 1984.

OxyBob

I ran a six minute mile once....but the l puked 🤢
CalCat

RFB

OxyBob wins in a landslide victory. Retreat to fight another day, smedindy.

smedindy

He said that no one thought there'd be a four-minute mile, ever. Not that a woman ran one.

They run 1500 now anyway for the most part.

Read the response fully, man.