MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPerry

What a game.  Congratulations to Wheaton on the huge bounceback road win.  Not sure what it is but Aston Francis must love the Shirk because he's had nothing but good shooting games there, none bigger than tonight.  Huge contributions down the lineup especially from Adom who is capable of more of this.  Francis with a mere 21 shots.  Only 21 mins for Eichelberger which is surprising – maybe still playing hurt ?

Was a little hard to watch on my phone, lots of buffering, but it just seemed like a trey-fest at times.  I couldn't believe how IWU seemed to never miss.  Titans have a deep team with a bunch of weapons, not just B Rose.  Good thing there's only one ball.   Big shots made by both teams all night.

The turnover was definitely fortunate for Wheaton and very surprising honestly.  A key factor was with only a one point lead, Titans couldn't foul or run 2 guys at Francis and chance giving up another layup (like on the previous possession). 

NPU loss stings just a little less now.  0-2 start would've been very not good.

voxelmhurst

Elmhurst 74
Millikin 62

Jake Rhode 22 pts, 7 rebounds
Jeremy Ireland 13 pts
Colin Bomstad 11 pts

Elijah Henry 17 pts, 10 rebounds
Davante Harrell 11 pts, 4 rebounds
Korbin Farmer 10 pts, 9 rebounds

Elmhurst (3-3) wins their first CCIW game of the season and snaps a 2 game losing streak. The Jays did what they needed to do to beat Millikin who, frankly, was sloppy all night and ended up with 23 turnovers. Another great game for Rhode who led the Jays in both points and rebounds. Ireland had his second best game of the young season. Elmhurst was able to shoot the ball a bit better than in recent games, though I feel like they've been shooting too many quick threes and not getting the ball inside enough to a reliable scorer. I'd have to go back and watch some tape from last year (I won't really do this) but I feel like Elmhurst are not getting the ball to Ireland down low as much this year as opposed to last, and I think that may be why his numbers are down thus far.

Millikin would have done better in this one had they taken care of the ball and capitalized more on their second chances. They had 14 offensive boards but only 5 second chance points.

duckfan41

IWU had a solid commentary all night, but I wish we could have been blessed with a Mike Breen call on Aston’s buzzer beater tonight. “Bang!”

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Titan Q on December 05, 2018, 09:46:21 PM
Wheaton 90
IWU 88

* Aston Francis: 27 pts, 4 reb, 8 assists
* Nyameye Adom: 14 pts, 5 reb, 3 assists
* Kobe Eichelberger: 12 pts
* Luke Peters: 11 pts, 3 reb, 6 assists
* Tyson Cruickshank: 10 pts

* Jason Gregoire: 21 pts, 2 assists
* Colin Bonnett: 21 pts, 2 reb, 2 assits
* Brady Rose: 17 pts, 3 reb, 3 assists
* Charle Bair: 9 pts, 12 pts

Great game.  Aston Francis hits a 3 at the buzzer to win it.

Wheaton had a lot of non-Francis guys play extremely well tonight.

Up 1 with 0:08 left IWU got the ball into Brady Rose, but he tried to pass it to Grant Wolfe to run out the clock.  If the ball gets to Wolfe the game ends...instead Rose threw it away.

Any video of that??
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

duckfan41

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 06, 2018, 08:01:52 AM
Wheaton 90
IWU 88

Up 1 with 0:08 left IWU got the ball into Brady Rose, but he tried to pass it to Grant Wolfe to run out the clock.  If the ball gets to Wolfe the game ends...instead Rose threw it away.

Any video of that??

https://d3hoops.com/notables/2018/12/wrapup-1205

GoPerry

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 06, 2018, 08:01:52 AM
Wheaton 90
IWU 88

Any video of that??

The video missed the turnover if that's what your referring to.

hopefan

I'm sorry, after seeing that video , way too easy for Francis to get off a virtually uncontested shot. Let him get the ball, then double or triple team him as he attempts to get the ball up the court. If you turn him once or twice, the shot becomes longer and more rushed. If he passes off, fine, make one of the other guys beat you. One on one just not sufficient in an effort to stop a great shooter.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

ecreddevils

Outstanding, well-played game all the way around.  Seemed like neither team could miss from long range IWU 63% WC 48.5%. Very high level stuff.

The last sequence was strange, Wolf running parallel to Rose alone the left sideline, Rose decides to no-look one over to him, was off the mark.  Not a great decision in that moment, just dribble it out and get fouled.  When that happened you just had the feeling that Francis was going to knock one down. That dude is as advertised, rock solid confidence.  Fun night as a fan.

sac

Quote from: hopefan on December 06, 2018, 10:33:18 AM
I'm sorry, after seeing that video , way too easy for Francis to get off a virtually uncontested shot. Let him get the ball, then double or triple team him as he attempts to get the ball up the court. If you turn him once or twice, the shot becomes longer and more rushed. If he passes off, fine, make one of the other guys beat you. One on one just not sufficient in an effort to stop a great shooter.

Up 1 though, you have to defend everybody.  Tricky spot.

Titan Q

Up 1, leave 2 or 3 Wheaton players unguarded?  Wouldn't Francis just pass to someone for a layup/easy shot?

duckfan41

Quote from: sac on December 06, 2018, 11:23:33 AM

Up 1 though, you have to defend everybody.  Tricky spot.

That especially came into play yesterday with so many guys outside of Francis playing well. On the possession right before the turnover, Tyson Cruikshank was left wide open under the basket to cut the IWU lead to 1 because everyone in the gym expected the ball to go to Francis.

On the Francis play, Adom set him a huge screen to get him open, and it seemed like Adom's man wasn't prepared to switch onto the guy who was obviously going to get the ball in that situation. Regarding the shot itself, Francis has become a master of shaking defenders to get the separation he needs (which isn't much) to feel comfortable enough to let it fly. Bonnett is one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference, and there's honestly not much more he could have done to make that shot more difficult for Francis. He honored the drive and got burned by a very good step back, but still was able to get a hand in Aston's face.

As some would say, there was great defense but better offense on that last play. Aston also had 8 assists last night, so doubling or tripling him as soon as he touched it would have opened up 1 or 2 scoring options for him to differ to, which both arguably would have been just as reliable as a Francis step back from 20+ feet.

sac

IWU does end up with Bonnett(?) hand in the face and a 2nd guy running at him on the shot.   Maybe the second defender gets a step to deep inside the 3-point line honoring his man, but its really just a great shot.  Francis is never looking to pass that ball.

Gregory Sager

Realistically, the Titans could not have defended that final play any better than they did. If you're a Wesleyan fan, you walk out of the gym grumbling about Brady Rose screwing up your team's final possession, not about getting beat on a 24-foot stepback at the buzzer by the one guy in the league who makes that kind of a shot as a matter of routine.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ecreddevils

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 06, 2018, 12:18:23 PM
Realistically, the Titans could not have defended that final play any better than they did. If you're a Wesleyan fan, you walk out of the gym grumbling about Brady Rose screwing up your team's final possession, not about getting beat on a 24-foot stepback at the buzzer by the one guy in the league who makes that kind of a shot as a matter of routine.

I agree.  I was there, was not the fault of the defenders, just a shooter who wasn't going to be denied executing what he'd done all night.