USA SOUTH players in the Pro's

Started by rlscosta, January 06, 2009, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlscosta

Looked up some USA SOUTH players in the Pro's and their recent seasons:

Methodist University

David Hoffman (2007 - Schaumburg Flyers, Ind) - .286, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 13 BB (28G, 70 AB)
Blake Maxwell (2008 - Lancaster JetHawks, High A) 5-9, 3.32 ERA, 133 INN, 37 G, 15 GS

Christopher Newport University

Kenny Moreland (2008 - Bluefield Orioles, Rookie) 6-4, 2.93 ERA, 67.2 INN, 65 K's, 6 BB, 13 GS
(Promoted to Class A, Frederick Keys)

North Carolina Wesleyan College

Chris Pecora (2008 - Gateway Grizzlies, Ind) .256, 2HR, 14 RBI, 10 SB (49G, 164 AB)
Buddy Hernandez (2008 - Camden Riversharks, Ind) 3-4, 4.99 ERA, 61.1 INN, 69 K's, 47G, 4 SV
(Pitched for AAA Richmond Braves 2003-2007)

Ferrum College

Billy Wagner (2008 - NY Mets, MLB) 0-1, 2.30 ERA, 47 INN, 52 K's, 10 BB (45 G, 27 SV)

Catfishncwc

Update on Buddy Hernandez, he has taken a job as a Area Scout Supervisor for the Braves.  He covers Florida. 
1999 Division 3 National Baseball Champs

fightingquaker1

Does anybody know if Chris Pecora is going to get another shot to get pick up this spring? I know he played Indy ball this past year, but I have no doubt in my mind that he can play for some organization....

NCWC

Aren't there a few guys from Averett still kicking around in A ball?
16 USA South/ Dixie Conference titles, 12 Regional titles, 2  World Series titles

fightingquaker1

Does anybody have any idea what level the Moreland kid from CNU will start at? Would love to see him pitch sometime this summer.

narch

i posted this on the main usasac board, but it's probably more appropriate here...former monarch blake maxwell picked up a save in spring training for the red sox

hokieone

Moreland is now at the O's minor league Spring Training Camp in Florida and the feeling was prior to camp that he would start the year at Delmarva (A). All of the Moreland fans hope to see him back in Frederick (or beyond  ;D) eventually this year. He developed a great changeup to go with his curve and fastball last summer, and If he keeps improving and throwing strikes, he will hopefully keep moving up.

fightingquaker1

Catfishncwc

This is off the Orioles Hangout website about Kenny Moreland

QuoteKen Moreland was an undrafted free agent signed by the Orioles after the draft and ended up having a nice season at Bluefield where he posted a 2.93 ERA with a 65-6 K-BB ratio in 67.2 innings over 13 starts. Listed at just 5-10, Moreland is probably closer to 5-8 and his fastball is not going to light up the radar gun (he was 85-86 this spring, but reportedly pitches in the 87-90 range), but what he showed me was an ability to mix his pitches and throw strikes in the few innings I saw him pitch this spring. His changeup has drop to it and his 11-5 curveball had some bite to it as well. His ceiling is not very high and he'll need to continue to put up numbers as he moves up the chain, but don't be surprised is he has a nice season at Delmarva if he makes the rotation.

vabaseball

Thanks for the paragraph on Moreland.  He is definitely in the 5-10 range.  Certainly not 5-8.  For whatever that's worth. I know that height gets exaggerated, but in his case I think 5-10 is about right.

hokieone

Being 6'3" and having stood next to Moreland many times, he sure isn't 5'8" and 5'10 is about right, maybe a tad taller. Velocity-wise, at CNU he was frequently gunned in the 90-93 range, but like any pitcher also was gunned lower, especially in early season, cold weather, etc.

Hopefully he'll have another good season and give the O's every reason to move him up the ladder. They are somewhat short on control pitchers in Baltimore, so he'd be a breath of fresh air if he gets there some day.

Catfishncwc

This should be a make or break year for Kenny.  Pitching in Rookie ball is basically a glorified high school all star summer league most of the guys he was pitching against were late round college guys and fresh out of HS players.  If he is in Short Season A or at Delmarva this will be a true test of pro hitters for him.  I hope the best for him but this year will tell us a lot if he can move up in the minors ranks. 

narch

blake maxwell is with the AA Portland Sea Dogs (with travis beasley from RMC) - no word on how they'll use him (he started 15 games last year at Lancaster)

blake has a 20-18 minor league record with a 3.79 era, 25 saves, 315.2 ip, 315 hits allowed, 179 k's and 66 bb's....not bad numbers

Scouting Report: Imposing mound presence with a side-arm delivery. Possesses a high-80s to low-90s fastball along with a decent slider and change-up.  Very good control.  Not a big strikeout pitcher, but induces a lot of groundballs.  Works best when his confidence is up and he's going at hitters.  Has had an up-and-down career with the Sox, but has taken well to the organizations' development and has even instituted some major mechanical changes. Used in both a starting and a bullpen role in 2008, showed success in both roles. 

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/maxwell-blake.htm

Catfishncwc

Quote from: narch on April 07, 2009, 02:44:01 PM
blake maxwell is with the AA Portland Sea Dogs (with travis beasley from RMC) - no word on how they'll use him (he started 15 games last year at Lancaster)

blake has a 20-18 minor league record with a 3.79 era, 25 saves, 315.2 ip, 315 hits allowed, 179 k's and 66 bb's....not bad numbers

Scouting Report: Imposing mound presence with a side-arm delivery. Possesses a high-80s to low-90s fastball along with a decent slider and change-up.  Very good control.  Not a big strikeout pitcher, but induces a lot of groundballs.  Works best when his confidence is up and he's going at hitters.  Has had an up-and-down career with the Sox, but has taken well to the organizations' development and has even instituted some major mechanical changes. Used in both a starting and a bullpen role in 2008, showed success in both roles. 

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/maxwell-blake.htm

Hey did they use the scouting report I wrote up him when I saw him a few years back. 

eraguy1975

I was looking to see which level Kenny Moreland was going to play at this summer, I couldnt find his name on any roster. Does anyone know if he got released?

Chris Pecora- released by Gateway Grizzlies