FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crufootball

DFWCrufan

So this Saturdays game will have fireworks, 4000 first fans get a tee shirt and 2018 National Champions Celebration.

https://go.umhb.edu/news/2019/cru-football-opening-day#1845
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

DFWCrufan

So I don't know if Ya'll knew about this but Edwin Munioz, who was one of our kickers last season, is fighting to recover from paralyzing injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZXEV9Rn4E

TheChucker

Hey Cru followers. I live in the north and follow the top D3 games here in MIAC/WIAC country, but my kid is a UMHB student this year so I've been following them too starting late last season. I don't know that much yet about the other ASC conference schools. A lot of the MIAC and WIAC teams are playing each other in tough nonconference games last week and this week in the northland and getting tested early. At what point do you think UMHB will get tested? I know Hardin Simmons is always a top team, but do you think anyone else will give UMHB a tough test this year before the playoffs?

DFWCrufan

Quote from: TheChucker on September 11, 2019, 01:28:24 PM
Hey Cru followers. I live in the north and follow the top D3 games here in MIAC/WIAC country, but my kid is a UMHB student this year so I've been following them too starting late last season. I don't know that much yet about the other ASC conference schools. A lot of the MIAC and WIAC teams are playing each other in tough nonconference games last week and this week in the northland and getting tested early. At what point do you think UMHB will get tested? I know Hardin Simmons is always a top team, but do you think anyone else will give UMHB a tough test this year before the playoffs?
If you take coach at his word every game is taken as a test game. But this season it would seem, by historical standards the first three games would be the easier of the nine, And then it stiffens up the rest of the season schedule. ETBU seems to have tightened things up compared to last season so game 4 I think starts things off.
Welcome to the Crunation!

TheChucker

Quote from: DFWCrufan on September 11, 2019, 02:00:55 PM
If you take coach at his word every game is taken as a test game. But this season it would seem, by historical standards the first three games would be the easier of the nine, And then it stiffens up the rest of the season schedule. ETBU seems to have tightened things up compared to last season so game 4 I think starts things off.

The late great John Gagliardi (who I hated back in the day as an opposing player) was famous for downplaying his team and talking up opponents. When interviewed, every upcoming opponent was monstrously formidable and he couldn't figure out to beat them with his poor little team....then the poor ol' would Johnnies finish on top of the conference....every year. Fredenburg must have read the Gagliardi playbook. 

Etchglow

Sooooo, might have signed up for a sideline photography class in October. Saw it in passing and was kind of interested, but saw that it was at the UMHB/Southwestern game and had to do it lol. Will be neat to see what kind of pictures I can get from the sidelines instead of the stands!

D O.C.

Chucker... they might get tested in the 2020 inter-squad game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: TheChucker on September 11, 2019, 06:48:17 PM
Quote from: DFWCrufan on September 11, 2019, 02:00:55 PM

The late great John Gagliardi (who I hated back in the day as an opposing player) was famous for downplaying his team and talking up opponents. When interviewed, every upcoming opponent was monstrously formidable and he couldn't figure out to beat them with his poor little team....then the poor ol' would Johnnies finish on top of the conference....every year. Fredenburg must have read the Gagliardi playbook.
... as did Longhorn head coach Darrell K Royal.

umhb2001

Welcome to the ASC board!

Top teams to challenge this year will be:

1. HSU
2. Southwestern
3. ETBU
4. TLU

This Saturday will be interesting against Albright. They will be hungry with a game under their belt, a poor showing to avenge from last year, and a seemingly young offense attacking them. New QB, new RB, new WRs, and several up and coming lineman will make this game interesting. Thankfully our first few games are "easier" so that we can get some guys up to speed.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Toby Taff

Quote from: umhb2001 on September 11, 2019, 10:59:58 PM

Welcome to the ASC board!

Top teams to challenge this year will be:

1. HSU
2. Southwestern
3. ETBU
4. TLU

This Saturday will be interesting against Albright. They will be hungry with a game under their belt, a poor showing to avenge from last year, and a seemingly young offense attacking them. New QB, new RB, new WRs, and several up and coming lineman will make this game interesting. Thankfully our first few games are "easier" so that we can get some guys up to speed.
I agree with umhb2001. These are the teams to watch. I'm also interested in HPU after last weeks score. Can't remember the last time howard Payne scored 40+. Hoping that Coach Harris has them moving in the right direction.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

bleedpurple

Interesting? Seriously?  OK, I'll take the CRU and give you 50.  I'll wager one beer to be paid on the day UW-W and UMHB next play.

Toby Taff

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 12, 2019, 11:51:34 AM

Interesting? Seriously?  OK, I'll take the CRU and give you 50.  I'll wager one beer to be paid on the day UW-W and UMHB next play.
he didn't say close. it is interesting because of the number of guys out who would be starting and the number of freshman getting the nod to start. We get to watch unknown commodities to us and hopefully get a glimpse into the next four years.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Etchglow

The Cru RB's should have a field day if last week's Albright game is repeated.  They gave up 9.2 yards per carry on 39 attempts for 360 yards :o

crufootball

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 12, 2019, 11:51:34 AM

With the D1 guys starting 2 or even 3 weeks ago and most of D3 starting last week, I can tell you any UMHB game at this point will be interesting. And while the game will hopefully not be close at all I will echo the intrigue of watching a QB most people didn't know this time last week starting. Wouldn't be UMHB football if there wasn't a thought of using multiple QBs going into the season.