D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usee

Springfield played Alfred pretty tough. I will be interested to compare common opponent with STJ tomorrow.

seventiesraider

Quote from: USee on October 22, 2010, 07:29:14 PM
I have been enduring Seventies posts for years on these boards. I am telling you I could have submitted his ballot for him based on his stated views on the various regions, conferences and teams over the years. It can't have anything to do with current reality. Remember, his name ain't seventies because he's young!!  ;D ;D :-*

Sorry USEE, but until you can convince me Wittenberg can beat any of the teams I ranked ahead of them, you just have to bear with it. Yes they are a playoff team but only by virtual of winning out in a very weak conference. The NCAC is so weak from 3 thru the end, that statistics mean almost nothing. Sorry, but the facts don't support them anywhere above 20. And anyway, isn't that why we have polls, to accommodate different viewpoints and biases? It is my personal feeling that Wittenberg is the most consistently over ranked team in D3.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

usee

Seventies, you don't have to defend your picks to me. That's what the poll is all about. All I said is I could have predicted your picks.....never said they were wrong. More power to ya.

seventiesraider

Quote from: USee on October 22, 2010, 10:39:44 PM
Seventies, you don't have to defend your picks to me. That's what the poll is all about. All I said is I could have predicted your picks.....never said they were wrong. More power to ya.

Thanks, it's not like Witt, Wabash and Case Western weren't ever in my poll, they are just in the next ten. Every week it will become clearer and less of a crap shoot
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

bleedpurple

Quote from: altor on October 22, 2010, 09:35:49 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 22, 2010, 09:25:32 PM
Or is there something football loving humans can see that computers cannot??   ;D
I don't mean to get into a human vs. computer debate.  I've done it to death.  Nobody gets convinced.

My point was that a vote for SJF at #6 was not entirely without substance.  Your point must be that such a vote did not come from a football loving human?

Not at all. I was just posing a question to point out there are two sides to that argument. 

By the way, I agree with the point you made. I do not believe SJF at #6 was without substance.  That's higher than I would have ranked them, but I respect the fact that it was submitted by a fan who gave thoughtful consideration before submitting his ballot.

smedindy

Quote from: Kohawk Krazy on October 22, 2010, 08:16:21 PM
I find it interesting how many people had Central ranked ahead of Coe, despite beating them 37-28.

Take the Kohawk blinders out of your eyes. If Coe and Central played many times on a neutral field, who would win the most times?

To me, Central's win against Oshkosh and especially at Augie outweighs a loss in a rivalry game.

But, your mileage may vary.

usee

That's funny because centrals close game at Augie is what kept them out of my poll. Different strokes...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: altor on October 22, 2010, 09:17:25 PM
Quote from: Upstate on October 22, 2010, 08:34:13 PM
Fisher at 6???

WOW
Peter Wolfe has SJF at #2 in D-III.
Dave Rothman has them at #5.
Massey has them at 7.
My computer (which only takes results between two D-III's into account) has them at 3.

There's something the computers see there that not many humans do.

Keith has them at 7, we learned in the podcast this week.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

QuoteKeith has them at 7, we learned in the podcast this week.

I had them No. 13, but higher than any other East Region team (Del Val next at 14).

HScoach

After Witt needed a missed FG by Carnegie-Mellon to just make it to overtime, I'm thinking 70's non-ranking of Wittenberg is spot on.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

usee

70's is smarter than the average bear. The luster is certainly off for Witt's D. CMU w over 300 yds rushing. Ouch.

MasterJedi

And SJF loses, has the East region gotten even weaker this year?

footballfan413

Quote from: HScoach on October 23, 2010, 05:36:51 PM
After Witt needed a missed FG by Carnegie-Mellon to just make it to overtime, I'm thinking 70's non-ranking of Wittenberg is spot on.
I had them at #12 but it was painful.  Looks like I need to listen to my gut next time .   ;)
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

bleedpurple

Quote from: altor on October 22, 2010, 09:17:25 PM
Quote from: Upstate on October 22, 2010, 08:34:13 PM
Fisher at 6???

WOW
Peter Wolfe has SJF at #2 in D-III.
Dave Rothman has them at #5.
Massey has them at 7.
My computer (which only takes results between two D-III's into account) has them at 3.

There's something the computers see there that not many humans do.

Peter Wolfe's poll:

1 Hampden-Sydney           III        7  0   243  131    0.979   xx
    2 St John Fisher           III        7  0   302  121    0.849   xx
    3 Wesley                   III        7  0   321   82    0.821   xx
    4 Wheaton                  III        6  0   237   90    0.818   xx
    5 St Thomas                III        7  0   315   91    0.783   xx
    6 Wartburg                 III        6  0   181   48    0.756   xx
    7 Mary Hardin-Baylor       III        6  0   223  157    0.733   xx
    8 North Central            III        6  0   228   51    0.730   xx
    9 Mount Union              III        6  0   247   56    0.705   xx
   10 DePauw                   III        6  0   201   97    0.635   xx

Whatever his computer "sees", is a mirage, a hallucination, or a bad dream. Is it inappropriate of me to be thankful he's not part of our D3 Top 25 Fan Poll?  ;D

bleedpurple

Next week's poll should be really interesting. Close wins by #4 St. Thomas, #6 UMHB, and #8 Wittenberg. What to do with Bethel and PLU after they lose to teams ranked higher? St. John Fisher goes down and Wheaton is in trouble during a 3rd quarter lightening delay.  And each pollster will be working from their own ballot as a baseline from this week. Should be a fun couple of days sorting it all out the next couple of days!