D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 02, 2010, 10:04:33 PM
Quote from: sflzman on November 02, 2010, 08:56:58 PM
How has Trine failed to crack the top 15 ???

For the record, Trine was listed on all 20 ballots. Their high ranking was 6, their low was 24.  Twelve of twenty ballots had Trine ranked in the top 15.

Wow, a range of 6 to 24 - almost the exact range I pulled out of my ass! ;D

Trine is like Thomas More (or CWRU until they got beat) - they are obviously good, but who the hell knows HOW good until they play somebody! :P

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 02, 2010, 10:00:39 PM

My guess is the conference they play in hurts them. I know D3football.com's Kickoff ranks the MIAC 23rd out of 27 conferences.

Mr Y posted as I was typing this. In other words, "What he said..."  ;D

MIAA, not MIAC.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

this was what I submitted:

UWW
Mount Union
Wesley
North Central
St. Thomas
Linfield
Wittenberg
MHB
Harden Simmons
D. Valley
Thomas More
Trine
Ohio Northern
Wheaton
Wartburg
Coe
Central
Hampden-Sydney
Cal Lutheran
Bethel
Pacific Lutheran
DePauw
Wabash
Willamette
Franklin

wally_wabash

My week 9 ballot FWIW...

1    Whitewater
2    Mount Union
3    Wesley
4    North Central
5    St. Thomas
6    UMHB
7    Wheaton
8    Hampden-Sydney
9    Delaware Valley
10    Wartburg
11    Hardiin-Simmons
12    Coe
13    Ohio Northern
14    Cal Lutheran
15    Linfield
16    Bethel
17    St. John Fisher
18    Trine
19    Thomas More
20    Wittenberg
21    Central
22    Montclair State
23    Rowan
24    Cortland State
25    DePauw
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bleedpurple

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2010, 10:13:22 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on November 02, 2010, 10:00:39 PM

My guess is the conference they play in hurts them. I know D3football.com's Kickoff ranks the MIAC 23rd out of 27 conferences.

Mr Y posted as I was typing this. In other words, "What he said..."  ;D

MIAA, not MIAC.

My mistake, thanks Pat. I knew I should have double checked Kickoff before posting the acronym!

usee

In 2008 Trine made the playoffs and played Wheaton very tough but lost by 14 to the semifinalists. In 2009 they won their opening round handily and competed w Witt in round 2 before falling. They have many of that group back this year including their qb who played in both playoff seasons. If you believe Trine is a better team than they were a year ago and can win 2 playoff games, then they should be in your top 10. I have them at #6 on my ballot. 

sflzman

I had Trine at 9

1. UW-Whitewater
2. Mount Union
3. Wesley
4. North Central
5. Mary Hardin-Baylor
6. Delaware Valley
7. Mary Hardin-Simmons
8. St. Thomas
9. Trine
10. ONU
11. Linfield
12. Wittenberg
13. Thomas More
14. Coe
15. Wartburg
16. Wheaton
17. Central
18. Hampden-Sidney
19. Cal Lutheran
20. Bethel
21. DePauw
22. Pacific Lutheran
23. WashU
24. Ursinus
25. Walliamette
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

bleedpurple

Quote from: USee on November 02, 2010, 11:55:14 PM
In 2008 Trine made the playoffs and played Wheaton very tough but lost by 14 to the semifinalists. In 2009 they won their opening round handily and competed w Witt in round 2 before falling. They have many of that group back this year including their qb who played in both playoff seasons. If you believe Trine is a better team than they were a year ago and can win 2 playoff games, then they should be in your top 10. I have them at #6 on my ballot. 

That's definitely one line of thinking.  The more skeptical view would be that Trine got shut out by a two loss (three eventually) Wheaton team in 2008. In 2009, they beat an equally mysterious Case Western Reserve before losing to Wittenberg by 17 points.  The next week Witt lost at UW-W by 18. I was at the UW-W/Witt game and it was definitely more competitive than the final score might indicate. While you might be right about Trine this year, given the lack of data, 15th doesn't appear all that irrational. Another interesting note is that while Trine sits at 15, the teams that beat them the last two years in the playoffs (Wheaton and Witt) are #13 and #14 respectively.  That doesn't seem out of line.

The good news is that Trine will have every opportunity to prove you right in November!  ;)

bleedpurple

"Also Receiving Votes: Franklin (36), Rowan (36), Salisbury (11), Willamette (11), Case Western Reserve (4), Washington University (3), Alfred (2), Ursinus (2), Baldwin-Wallace (1), Williams (1)"

There's an excellent article by Tom Haley on Williams in this week's "Around the Region".  After reading it, it's really interesting to me that Williams got a vote before either SUNY-Maritime and Amherst.  One of our pollsters must be doing a good job of flying "..Under the Radar" to find them.  ;)

smedindy

I was low on Trine at 24.

I have my reasons.

I still think of them as Tri-State. (OK, no, that's not it...)

Actually, I'm influenced quite a bit by the Massey ratings for teams in the lower 1/2 (but not solely, of course). Trine is 39th with a SOS rating of 180 there.

The main reason is that I think all of the teams ahead of them can beat Trine 6 times out of 10 at least.

1. UW - Whitewater
2. Mt. Union
3. Wesley
4. North Central
5. St. Thomas
6. Mary Hardin-Baylor
7. Wartburg
8. Wheaton
9. Hardin - Simmons
10. Delaware Valley
11. Ohio Northern
12. Wittenberg
13. Linfield
14. Bethel
15. Thomas More
16. St. John Fisher
17. Hampden - Sydney
18. Central (IA)
19. Coe
20. Montclair State
21. Wabash
22. DePauw
23. Pacific Lutheran
24. Trine
25. Baldwin - Wallace

HScoach

I had Trine at 17.  Playing Witt tough doesn't score any points in my book.

1.   Whitewater
2.   North Central
3.   Mount Union
4.   St. Thomas
5.   Wesley
6.   Linfield
7.   Ohio Northern
8.   Mary Hardin Baylor
9.   Wartburg
10.   Central
11.   Wheaton
12.   Delaware Valley
13.   Hardin Simmons
14.   Coe
15.   Thomas More
16.   Hampden Sydney
17.   Trine
18.   Rowan
19.   Cortland State
20.   Bethel
21.   Montclair State
22.   Case Western Reserve
23.   Cal Lutheran
24.   St. John Fisher
25.   DePauw
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

usee

HSC-
I'll play devils advocate here for a second. How do you have Bethel ranked 20 and St Thomas at #5? Bethel held them to their lowest pt total of the year and lost 10-6 AT St Thomas. Seems like too big a spread. Also, How do you have Case at #22 and Witt not ranked? 70's envy? Case lost to Chicago (who got thumped by Wabash and Elmhurst) and Witt is undefeated (albeit barely) and has a win over Trine from last years team (who beat case).  As for Trine playing Witt tough, they don't have to beat Mt Union to be ranked in the top 10. I think Trine would easily beat at least 6 teams you have ahead of them.

You like apples?

02 Warhawk

maybe he'll give Witt some love if they beat Wabash this weekend.

I don't think one should take into consideration what teams did in previous seasons...but that's just me.

Quote from: USee on November 03, 2010, 12:20:22 PM
HSC-
I'll play devils advocate here for a second. How do you have Bethel ranked 20 and St Thomas at #5? Bethel held them to their lowest pt total of the year and lost 10-6 AT St Thomas. Seems like too big a spread. Also, How do you have Case at #22 and Witt not ranked? 70's envy? Case lost to Chicago (who got thumped by Wabash and Elmhurst) and Witt is undefeated (albeit barely) and has a win over Trine from last years team (who beat case).  As for Trine playing Witt tough, they don't have to beat Mt Union to be ranked in the top 10. I think Trine would easily beat at least 6 teams you have ahead of them.

You like apples?

oldtiger

seventiesraider

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 03, 2010, 12:40:02 PM
maybe he'll give Witt some love if they beat Wabash this weekend.

Smedindy mentions the strength of schedule stats from Massey. He ranks Wittenberg's "played" schedule 207 and remaining schedule 169.

I accept the fact that you can only play the teams on your schedule but as a newbie voter I can say having a very weak schedule leads us to talking about last year and other irrelevant topics. We can only judge the body of work that the team has displayed. Yes there are still certain intangibles to consider otherwise Mount Union could be anywhere in the top 10. It's those intangibles that even got Trine into the top 15, certainly not who they beat.
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...