D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoBo

Quote from: hazzben on September 01, 2011, 09:01:21 PM
Quote from: smedindy on September 01, 2011, 03:24:51 PM
Hard to keep all the Lutherans straight. I was in Minnesota for 4 years and I still have trouble on all of the darm Lutheran schools (and what flavor of Lutherans they are...) ;D

And all the Concordia's...

. . . and Wesleyan's, too.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

smedindy

And it's a good thing I didn't cast an NCAC 'homer' vote for Wooster at #25.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 01, 2011, 09:14:00 AM
From what I read about Coe and Cal Lutheran, they both have very good teams returning.

I think both will have surprisingly good seasons.

Thanks to a butt whooping issued by Harden Simmons, but prediction about Coe isn't going according to plan. me ranking them at 7th looks a little foolish now.

I guess Coe busing it all the way from Iowa to deep in the heart of Texas didn't help their cause.

smedindy

1. UW-Whitewater (12)       348            (1)
2.  Mount Union (2)            338            (2)
3.  Wesley                        316            (4)
4. St. Thomas                   292            (5)
5. Mary Hardin-Baylor         289            (6)
6. Linfield                         261            (9)
7. Bethel                          258            (7)
8. Wheaton                      243            (8)
9. Ohio Northern               198            (11)
10. Hardin-Simmons           196            (16)
11. North Central               185             (4)
12. Wartburg                    156             (12)
13. Montclair State            154             (13)
14. Cortland State             144             (15)
15. Cal Lutheran                130             (17)
16. Thomas More               128             (14)
17. UW-Stevens Point         100             (22)
18. Wabash                         92             (20)
19. Wittenberg                     90             (21)
20. Redlands                        84              (U)
21. Alfred                            83              (18)
22. St. John's                       80              (23)
23. Trine                              70              (19)
24. Coe                                67              (10)
25. Franklin                           60              (25)

Also receiving votes: Baldwin Wallace (34), Delaware Valley (26), Hampden-Sydney (19), Louisiana College (15),  Elmhurst (13), Illinois Wesleyan (13), UW-Oshkosh (12), Pacific Lutheran (12), Salisbury (11), Willamette (7), Washington and Lee (6), UW-LaCrosse (5), Rowan (4), UW-Platteville (3), Adrian (2), Lycoming (2), St. John Fisher(2), Johns Hopkins (1), Washington University (1).

hazzben

This one's confusing for me  :o

UST moves up a spot after a ugly win (for a team that is supposed to be #4): 1 for 13 on third downs, 55 yds rushing on 30 attempts and 2 for 5 in the redzone. I get that NCC dropped so there was an open spot. But I actually dropped UST a spot in my bracket. They played poorly against SNC. SNC is a solid team, but they're not in anyones top 25.

Linfield doesn't play anyone and goes from 9 to 6? This is just really strange.

And how can people be putting North Central above Redlands?!? (The official poll had this too) Redlands proved, on the field, that they are a better football team in 2011. NCC would have probably beaten them last year, but this isn't last year anymore folks. For the life of me I don't understand how you can keep a team above another team in the poll after it loses head to head. Especially when there's been only one game. NCC has no quality wins this season to justify this. All they have is a preseason ranking that is totally conjecture. Maybe NCC ends up being a top 15 team. But at this point, I think they've got to prove it on the field and earn/climb their way back up there. My 2¢. Given the way Coe dropped after losing to the #10 team in our poll, it makes me wonder if NCC at 12 is a bit of name recognition.

Man, what did I have for breakfast this morning?!? I seem like a crotchety old man  :D

Pat Coleman

Redlands proved, on the field, that they are a better football team on Sept. 4, 2011. Not everyone is forced to believe that they are a better team hands-down, not this early in the season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

I think the week 1 rankings gap between NCC and Redlands was too great for Redlands to be in front of NCC in week 2. However, if Coe was still ranked ahead of Harden-Simmons....then you would have a valid argument, b/c both were in the top 25 BEFORE they played.

St. Norbert's wasn't ranked to begin with and then they lost....so why would anyone catapult them in the top 25? Putting a new team in the top 25 means someone has to be ousted. It makes since that Redlands enters the top 25 (with a win over a good team), and Rowans falls out of the rankings (week one loss). With that being said, who would you have St. Norbert's replace? Almost everyone in the bottom half of the bracket won (or didn't play).

Linfield moved up b/c Coe and NCC lost. But why they jumped ahead of Bethel? Probably b/c of some inconsistent voting by our NWC friends  ;D

emma17

Hazzben- I hear you loud and clear and I think I agree.
I dropped UST to 6, which was doing them a favor.
Linfield at 6?  I have them at 22- Great program yes, but they have a lot to prove having lost their very good QB.
People actually think Ohio Northern is the 9th best team in the country?

I see both sides of the NCC- Redlands issue.  I'm an NCC fan and have watched them three times in the last year, I know they are good.  But, so was Redlands last year.  I think you convinced me, the Fan Poll is refreshed each week.  As such, Redlands should be ahead of NCC until NCC earns their way back.     

This is the weekend that will convince me of MHB.  They play a very below average Lacrosse offense but a good Lacrosse defense.  If they come out and score big, I'll eat my words and give them a better ranking.  Until then, calling them the 5th best team in the country is awfully generous.

Mr. Ypsi

RE: NCC and Redlands.  Don't forget that it was a very close game AT Redlands.  If Redlands had won AT NCC, things might have gone differently.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: emma17 on September 07, 2011, 11:51:58 AM
Linfield at 6?  I have them at 22- Great program yes, but they have a lot to prove having lost their very good QB.

Whitewater lost a very good QB at the end of the 2009 season, but I don't think anyone was going to drop them in the bottom of the pool to start the 2010 season.

Linfield is a top ten team. They reload each year like Mount has been doing, but not exactly on the same caliber as Mount.

crufootball

This is the weekend that will convince me of MHB.  They play a very below average Lacrosse offense but a good Lacrosse defense.  If they come out and score big, I'll eat my words and give them a better ranking.  Until then, calling them the 5th best team in the country is awfully generous.

So would 26 points scored or a 19 point victory count as big enough to earn the ranking? 

FCGrizzliesGrad

The fun of rankings are that they don't mean anything (unless you're in the FB$) and with so few data points available this early in the season everything is purely speculative. That's why we have 44 teams ranked in the top 25 from only 14 pollsters. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season that number is down to between 30-35. This early in the season we're just guessing who we think is good and until the end of the season when we can see who's done what I don't put any weight on ranks. Plus with only 14 people voting I could cause a lot of variance by myself with a weird ballot. I had Coe out of my top 25, but if I had voted terribly and put them 3rd they'd have gone from 24th up to 19th.

The one good thing about the polls this early is to see who are those teams just off the top 25 but getting some votes because different people have more knowledge about teams in different regions so they may put someone on their list that others may have no idea about and it brings them onto people's radars.

Just because team A beat team B doesn't necessarily mean that team A is the better team and deserves the higher ranking, just that on that particular day they were better. I think most people would say UWW is better than Franklin (even I will admit that), but if Franklin pulls a 1 in 10 (or whatever chance you want to say) win this weekend, how many people are going to claim Franklin is a better team? Sure Franklin will rise in voters eyes, but are you really going to say UWW still isn't one of the top teams?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

emma17

Quote from: crufootball on September 07, 2011, 12:46:23 PM

So would 26 points scored or a 19 point victory count as big enough to earn the ranking?
A fair question Cru- if they hadnt been beaten the last X number of years in the playoffs- a 19 point difference would earn them a higher ranking supported by past performance.  I will have to see the stats and hear the details of the game. If MHB is up 28-0 at half, but plays all subs in second half and wins 28-14, I'd give em a better ranking. If MHB wins 24-0 and played all starters and struggled to pass the ball, I'd probably keep them lower. 

emma17

Good points FC- but if Franklin beats UWW this Sat then they will be ranked ahead of UWW in my poll next week.
UWW will have a chance to pass them throughout the season/post season- if they deserve it.

02'- I hear you on Linfield and it was hard for me to rank them 22 because Im a fan of their program. I would love for them to give me reason this week to move them up.

crufootball

Quote from: emma17 on September 07, 2011, 01:47:30 PM
Quote from: crufootball on September 07, 2011, 12:46:23 PM

A fair question Cru- if they hadnt been beaten the last X number of years in the playoffs- a 19 point difference would earn them a higher ranking supported by past performance.  I will have to see the stats and hear the details of the game. If MHB is up 28-0 at half, but plays all subs in second half and wins 28-14, I'd give em a better ranking. If MHB wins 24-0 and played all starters and struggled to pass the ball, I'd probably keep them lower.

I think I am still confused by your lack of confidence in UMHB, you mention our playoff record like it is something we should be ashamed of. Over the course of the last 5+ years you can count on one hand the amount of teams that have had better success than we have had.

I have full confidence that UMHB will win the game but this is our first real game and we didn't have a scrimmage this year since it was canceled. La Crosse comes in having already played a game and with the knowledge that if they lose again they will be 0-2 and their season is almost already lost so they have a ton to play for.