D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Warhawk

Quote from: MasterJedi on September 15, 2011, 02:45:25 PM
Well I think Redlands is overranked there too, I just don't think they're as bad as the three I bolded. Redlands actually has a chance to end up that high IMO if they play well, they're just unproven. The other three I don't think even have a prayer of sniffing the "receiving votes" category in the end.

Those three teams are at least undefeated. But then again, at this time of the year, so are a lot of teams.

Ralph Turner

UMHB had not played a game, against a credible team that had.

Their week #1 scrimmage with a team from Mexico was canceled.

UWL had that big advantage.

MasterJedi

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 15, 2011, 03:11:18 PM
Quote from: MasterJedi on September 15, 2011, 02:45:25 PM
Well I think Redlands is overranked there too, I just don't think they're as bad as the three I bolded. Redlands actually has a chance to end up that high IMO if they play well, they're just unproven. The other three I don't think even have a prayer of sniffing the "receiving votes" category in the end.

Those three teams are at least undefeated. But then again, at this time of the year, so are a lot of teams.

So is Redlands, they beat NCC in Week 1, and had a bye in Week 2....

smedindy

When the body of work is compared, I still say a 9-1 NC is better than an undefeated Redlands. it's just one of those things that happened.

An 8-2 North Central vs. an undefeated Redlands (which means a loss to Wheaton), well, that's going to cause some coin flipping.

A 7-3 North Central (that means Wheaton AND another ICC team beats 'em, not out of the realm of possibilities), then that's another vat of elephant ear dough...

footballfan413

Quote from: MasterJedi on September 15, 2011, 02:36:49 PM
Quote from: emma17 on September 15, 2011, 02:27:57 PM
1.  This board gets along real well when I don't post.
2.  Master Jedi- Except for Stevens Point at 16- I'm really liking your rankings.
3.  Again with MHB- UWL takes them to death's doorstep and their reward is an even higher ranking by many?
4.  Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it. – George Costanza

My Rankings
1.  Mt. Union
2.  UWW
3.  Bethel
4.  Hardin-Simmons
5.  Wheaton
6.  Redlands
7.  NCC
8.  St. Thomas
9.  Linfield
10.  Wittenberg
11.  Kean
12.  Elmhurst
13.  IL Wesleyan

14.  Wesley
15.  Baldwin-Wallace
16.  Mary Hardin-Baylor
17.  Oshkosh
18.  Platteville
19.  Cal Lutheran
20.  Thomas Moore
21.  Lycoming
22.  Hampden Sydney
23.  Salisbury
24.  Del Valley
25.  Wartburg   

Why?? IMO, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overanked.
I do not get Elmhurst and Illinois Wesleyan either, 17.  Yes, the Bluejays are 2-0 but those are hardly quality wins and they beat the same two teams last season and then went on to go 3-4 in conference. Same for IWU who went on to have a 4-3 conference record.  Wins against Hope and Alma don't impress me much either.  You have them 12 and 13??? 
   As for Redlands, I had them at 10 which is probably overated but they do have a very quality win against the #3 ranked team at the time.  Are they a better than NCC?  Probably not but that will work its way out over the next few weeks. 
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

footballfan413

In the interest of fair play, I have to post my rankings if I am going to question anybody else about theirs. 
   UW-EC was a bogus pic, I totally admit but their monkey stomp of the Johnnies just gave me a smile.  Actually, in my effort to bend over backwards to not be biased toward the WIAC, I think I unfairly slight them too much.  I think it is because there is usually just so much parity that I am confused as to who really is the next top team this early in the season.  Going to work on that. 

My September 12th rankings

1.  UW-Whitewater
2.  Mount Union
3.  St,. Thomas
4.  Mary Harding Baylor
5.  Bethel
6.  Linfield
7.  Wheaton
8.  Hardin-Simmons
9.   Thomas Moore
10. Redlands
11.  North Central
12.  Kean
13.  Wesley
14.  Ohio Northern
15.  Montclair State
16.  Cortland State
17.  Wartburg
18.  Cal Lutheran
19.  Alfred
20.  Wabash
21.  Wittenburg
22.  Hampton Sydney
23.  Delaware Valley
24   Salsbury
25.  UW-EC  (Gotta reward them for blowing up the Johnnies in Collegeville!)  LOL

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

footballfan413

Seriously?  What would the fun in that be?  ;)  Dropping by my tailgate on Saturday? 

CruFrenzy

2.  Master Jedi- Except for Stevens Point at 16- I'm really liking your rankings.
3.  Again with MHB- UWL takes them to death's doorstep and their reward is an even higher ranking by many?
4.  Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it. – George Costanza

My Rankings
1.  Mt. Union
2.  UWW
3.  Bethel
4.  Hardin-Simmons
5.  Wheaton
6.  Redlands
7.  NCC
8.  St. Thomas
9.  Linfield
10.  Wittenberg
11.  Kean
12.  Elmhurst
13.  IL Wesleyan
14.  Wesley
15.  Baldwin-Wallace
16.  Mary Hardin-Baylor
17.  Oshkosh
18.  Platteville
19.  Cal Lutheran
20.  Thomas Moore
21.  Lycoming
22.  Hampden Sydney
23.  Salisbury
24.  Del Valley
25.  Wartburg   
What's your reasoning behind placing Hardin-Simmons at No.4 in the Nation and UMHB at No.16? UMHB if anything is as good as they were last year, and last year they beat HSU. So would you mind explaining this? I mean i can see UMHB being a little farther than No.3 or whatever, but why would you have them all the way at No.16? thats pretty tough..
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

smedindy

I, for one, think that anyone who whaps the Johnnies at St. John's deserves a lotta love. It's one thing for NC to GO to Redlands and lose, it's another to GO to Collegeville and dominate....

1. UW - Whitewater
2. Mt. Union
3. St. Thomas
4. Wheaton
5. Linfield
6. UMHB
7. North Central
8. Wesley
9. Ohio Northern
10. Bethel
11. Hardin- Simmons
12. Wartburg
13. Montclair State
14. Wabash
15. Wittenberg
16. Redlands
17. Baldwin - Wallace
18. Cortland State
19. Salisbury
20. Alfred
21. Kean
22. UW - Eau Claire
23. Thomas More
24. Delaware Valley
25. Cal Lutheran

Almost pulled the trigger on Platteville. Almost pulled the trigger on Trine.

smedindy

Oh, and to my distinguished posters:

Since I, for one, have a last name that can be (and is) spelled in several permutations (it's a Scottish last name (not that I'm 100% Scottish) and I blame the alcohol on the spelling issues), I must remind you that it's:

Thomas More

After, Sir Thomas More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_More

He was kind of a big deal.

Now, Thomas Moore, he was a semi big-deal : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Moore

But nothing to name a college after. However, I bet many D-3 scholars studied him in their Lit classes.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Speaking of misspelling names I for some reason kept using Westley instead of Wesley... maybe I've seen The Princess Bride too much :P
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

footballfan413

Quote from: smedindy on September 15, 2011, 11:37:17 PM

I, for one, think that anyone who whaps the Johnnies at St. John's deserves a lotta love. It's one thing for NC to GO to Redlands and lose, it's another to GO to Collegeville and dominate....   

My thoughts EXACTLY!  But only time will tell if the Johnnies program has dropped as far as some on the MIAC board fear. But this early in the season and based solely on history and the huge, butt kicking score, that is a quality win for the BluGolds. 

smedindy

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 16, 2011, 12:28:00 AM
Speaking of misspelling names I for some reason kept using Westley instead of Wesley... maybe I've seen The Princess Bride too much :P

Inconceivable!

02 Warhawk

Quote from: CruFrenzy on September 15, 2011, 10:53:45 PM
What's your reasoning behind placing Hardin-Simmons at No.4 in the Nation and UMHB at No.16? UMHB if anything is as good as they were last year, and last year they beat HSU. So would you mind explaining this? I mean i can see UMHB being a little farther than No.3 or whatever, but why would you have them all the way at No.16? thats pretty tough..

Below is emma's thoughts on MHB. I don't endorsing this, I'm merely just a messenger.

Quote from: emma17 on September 07, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
Cru- I didn't have a chance to look up actual records for this comment, so I could be a bit misguided. My issue w ranking MHB high is how they lose and who they lose to. First, they were in a dogfight against a very average Lacrosse team last year. Second, they dont pass the ball well- it's like they choose to ignore the invention entirely.  Wesley made them look silly when they tried to pass. Third- they dont do well against teams that can truly stop the run. I think they played UWW 3 or 4 times in last few years and really struggled to score (although 2007 semi final game was a good one).
A top 5 (or 10) team in my opinion should be able to put points up against the best competition- and in today's day and age that usually requires more offensive balance.  I dont know how true the old adage of "defense wins championships" is anymore. Defense is a must and it keeps you in the game- but you have to be able to score points to be a top team. IMO.

Toby Taff

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 16, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: CruFrenzy on September 15, 2011, 10:53:45 PM

Below is emma's thoughts on MHB. I don't endorsing this, I'm merely just a messenger.

Quote from: emma17 on September 07, 2011, 07:40:20 PM
Cru- I didn't have a chance to look up actual records for this comment, so I could be a bit misguided. My issue w ranking MHB high is how they lose and who they lose to. First, they were in a dogfight against a very average Lacrosse team last year. Second, they dont pass the ball well- it's like they choose to ignore the invention entirely.  Wesley made them look silly when they tried to pass. Third- they dont do well against teams that can truly stop the run. I think they played UWW 3 or 4 times in last few years and really struggled to score (although 2007 semi final game was a good one).
A top 5 (or 10) team in my opinion should be able to put points up against the best competition- and in today's day and age that usually requires more offensive balance.  I dont know how true the old adage of "defense wins championships" is anymore. Defense is a must and it keeps you in the game- but you have to be able to score points to be a top team. IMO.
Since emma didn't have time to look at stats i thought I would.
I started with 06 since d3football schedules went back that far.
06 VS. Whitewater Loss 7-3: held whitewater to 120yds total offense. UWW only score was the ko return for a td on the opening kickoff
06 VS Wesley Loss (Quarterfinals): 34-20: Wesley passed for 436
07 VS Wesley Win 27-10: UMHB Rushed for 289 Wesley passed for 256
07 VS UWW Loss (Semifinals): 16-7: Defensive struggle...UWW got up early and held on
08 VS Wesley Win (playoffs): 46-14 UMHB rushed for 302
08 VS UWW Loss (Semifinals): 39-13 UWW Dominated the second half
09 VS Linfield Loss (quarterfinals):53-21 UMHB has 7 turnovers & Linfield dominates the second half
10 VS Wesley Loss (quarterfinals): 19-9 Passing game gets UMHB again

Note that while these games are mostly losses, they are losses to the same teams deep in the playoffs. I don't think its hard to see why people vote them into the top 5 year in and out. Every year the story plays out basically the same. UMHB starts slowly and builds momentum through the season then plays into the quarters or semis and loses to 1 of 3 teams. Each of which has consistently played itself into the top 5 of D3. The fact that they haven't beat UWW in 4 or 5 tries says that they're not better than UWW, but guess what, no one else is either. I think its easy to give MUC the nod for #2 because who other than UWW has beat them when it counts in the last 5 years? After that the most consistent teams going deep in the playoffs are Wesley and UMHB.

Now i won't say that the same will happen this season. New offense + Murderer's row in conference early when UMHB's secondary is historically still trying to figure things out could be bad. Saturday should tell the story. McM has a very good passing attack and a stud DB that likes picking off passes. If UMHB comes out slow it could get ugly. Then emma's wish will be fulfilled and UMHB will not be #3 on everyone's ballot. If they come out on top this week and then again next week vs HSU, your probably looking at the same scenario, except this season UMHB will have a passing game.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.