D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedpurple

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 27, 2011, 10:01:47 PM
Looks like one of the 2 who have been putting Mount Union first didn't vote this week

True

emma17

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on September 27, 2011, 10:01:47 PM
Looks like one of the 2 who have been putting Mount Union first didn't vote this week

I admit to voting Mt #1 still.  This is the big week for me w UWW as I believe this should be their toughest test to date. 

sflzman

I'll "own up" to 9 on Adrians 11 points (which hopefully is proven right when they beat Trine at Trine this weekend), the 2 centre points, and the Washington and Lee point....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

CruFrenzy

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 27, 2011, 10:35:19 PM
I'll own up to Muskingum getting three votes.

Undefeated, and blew out the ninth team in the nation. I thought they deserved some recognition.

Yeah, doesn't Muskingum deserve more credit than only a few votes? I really dont know much about these guys at all. Is Ohio Northern a little down this year or are these guys legit? Would they be the type of team to challenge Mount Union?
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

smedindy

I have Musky as #10 in the North Region and someone on my 'watch' list.

bleedpurple

Quote from: CruFrenzy on September 27, 2011, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on September 27, 2011, 10:35:19 PM
I'll own up to Muskingum getting three votes.

Undefeated, and blew out the ninth team in the nation. I thought they deserved some recognition.

Yeah, doesn't Muskingum deserve more credit than only a few votes? I really dont know much about these guys at all. Is Ohio Northern a little down this year or are these guys legit? Would they be the type of team to challenge Mount Union?

I believe Ohio Northern was over rated coming into this season.  They beat Otterbein by 1 point. Otterbein lost to Heidelberg by 21 points.  Then ONU lost by 20 points to the Muskies. Although I'm good with the Muskies getting some polling points, I think they soundly beat an over rated team.  ONU was 9th ranked, but clearly not the 9th best team in the country.   The scores in the recent past would indicate that the Muskies will pose no threat to Mount:

2010: 52-0 MU
2009: 45-14 MU
2008: 51-13 MU
2007: 62-0 MU
2006: 62-0 MU (not a typo same score as 07)
2005: 45-0 MU

bleedpurple

It's interesting to compare the Fan Poll with the D3football.com top 25 this week.  The variance isn't that great, but I have to say, I like the way the Fans have tilted a few of the rankings. My opinions aren't intended to criticize either poll. My thoughts are based on who I think would win if the teams being compared played head to head, not the merits of where they should be ranked per se.

The Top four teams are identical.

Five through Seven: Same teams different order.  D3F has Bethel, Linfield, Wheaton.  Fan poll has Linfield, Wheaton Bethel.  (I like Linfield as 5th better, but I would put Bethel ahead of Wheaton).

Eight: D3F has Thomas More. Fan Poll has North Central. (I think North Central is better and it isn't close.)

Nine:D3F has North Central. FP has Wesley. D3F has Wesley 11th.  (I like the D3F position for Wesley better.)

Ten: D3F has Kean.  (I think this is way too high for Kean. They have earned current ranking with big wins, but I sense a paper lion.  I don't believe they will last.)  FP has Thomas More.

Eleven: D3F has Wesley. FP has Montclair State.  D3Football has Montclair 12th.

Twelve: FP has Kean and Redlands tied. D3F has Kean 10 and Redlands 13.  (I guess it all comes out in the wash. Redlands may well lose this week and suffer a drop.)

Fourteen through Sixteen: Fan Poll ties Wabash and Wittenberg at 14, with Alfred at 16.  D3F places Alfred, Wabash, Wittenberg. (Hard to quibble. All three of these teams are very close.)

Seventeen Trine in both polls. 

Eighteen: D3F has Cortland State.  FP Louisiana College.  I love the Fan poll choice here.

Nineteen: D3F Louisiana College. Fan poll Delaware Valley. I like the D3F positioning of 21 for DV better.

Twenty and Twenty-one: D3F has Cal Lutheran and Delaware Valley.  Fan Poll has Cortland State 20 and Cal Lutheran at 21. 

Twenty-two to twenty-five: D3F has Wartburg, Johns Hopkins, Ohio Northern, and Salisbury.  FP has Salisbury, Wartburg, Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and Wisconsin-Platteville. Although I agree with D3F putting Salisbury at 25, rather than FP's 22, I think UW-O and UW-P make the FP grouping Stronger than the D3F group. 

Wow, in reading that back, I'm not even sure I could follow it! Oh well, it's typed up, so I'll go with it.   :)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 28, 2011, 12:03:03 AM
Otterbein lost to Heidelberg by 21 points.  Then ONU lost by 20 points to the Muskies.

Actually, these things both happened at the same time. If Otterbein had lost to Heidelberg like that last week, it may have given a better indication how overrated ONU was. But to list them in sequence like this suggests facts that were not in evidence when the poll was voted on.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 28, 2011, 12:08:57 AM
It's interesting to compare the Fan Poll with the D3football.com top 25 this week.  The variance isn't that great, but I have to say, I like the way the Fans have tilted a few of the rankings. My opinions aren't intended to criticize either poll. My thoughts are based on who I think would win if the teams being compared played head to head, not the merits of where they should be ranked per se.

Funny, I nearly did the same thing, but I figured I have plenty of cyberspace devoted to my thoughts, no need to take up space on the fan boards. I also don't follow the fan poll very closely, but I took a good look this week. So since you brought it up ...

my observations are mine alone and aren't intended to discredit the fan poll or credit the official poll, since a lot of my beefs are present in both polls:

1) Still don't like Redlands below North Central. While it's nice that NCC would have won on a hypothetical neutral field, that's not what happened. Not sure why I am alone on this.

2) No way Fisher should get 6 votes in your poll and Hobart 0.

3) Thomas More way too high. There should be a reward for beating W&J, but I don't see what they've done besides beat up on the PAC to deserve top-10 status.

4) Bethel too low. Why behind Wheaton?

5) None of the fans can figure out which UW teams to vote for either, huh? lol At least they all play each other eventually.

6) I think Witt and Bash are too high based on who they play and beat, until they play each other. But I can understand why they are where they are. After 12 or so, it gets really shaky. I like Alfred and LC around there personally, but I don't know that they've done much more to justify being there either. Those are more hunches/respect for conference strength.

7) You guys dropped all the right teams out.

8) Not really a difference if one poll has a team 18 and the other 19.

9) I was hard on the Montclair State (and Salisbury) bandwagon preseason but backed off with skin-of-their-teeth wins ... so now i think both polls are overrating them. But now-me could be wrong and preseason-me could be right.

10) I think CLU is too low given they were competitive with Linfield, but it doesn't matter. They'll get a bounce with the Redlands win or drop out if they lose, most likely.

The interesting thing to me when looking at the fan poll is to see if a grouping of 15 other minds aside from the official 25 voters sway the overall picture at all. What it seems to prove most often is that if you get a handful of people who pay attention, you'll get roughly the same results.

Have we ever tried combining the two for a master sampling of 40 minds? Just for fun, but also to weed out the variances each poll has? For instance, I can't get a team into the poll by my lonesome, as I'm just 1/25th of the voting, but I know I'm responsible for a lot of Hobart's and Birmingham-Southern's points. A few other outliers like me and we could get them into the top 25 even if most of the ballots had them unranked. Thoughts?

Also the fan poll comes out later in the week. Any chance the official poll influences it? I try, for instance, in my play of the week votes, to watch the videos before I read my fellow voters choices. Maybe a psych major could speak to this, but don't we like to think like people we like and respect think? (assuming fan poll likes and respects d3 poll here lol)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

I think that the Fan Poll is the complementary 3rd leg of the 3-legged stool.

The Coaches Poll (the old UPI for the gray hair types on the boards), the Associated Press, and Fan Poll are three different views.

By 6-7 games, we should be reaching some degree of harmony.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: K-Mack on September 28, 2011, 12:40:35 AM
Also the fan poll comes out later in the week. Any chance the official poll influences it? I try, for instance, in my play of the week votes, to watch the videos before I read my fellow voters choices. Maybe a psych major could speak to this, but don't we like to think like people we like and respect think? (assuming fan poll likes and respects d3 poll here lol)

I'm the same way...I don't look at the D3football poll until I submit mine.

Pat Coleman

The fan poll is not particularly geographically diverse, which is a big difference. Ours is intentionally evenly distributed.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

The fan poll is open to anyone who wants to submit an entry.

We're not saying our poll is gospel, it's just something fun to do each week for the fans.

Pat Coleman

No, I understand. Just pointing out a difference that may help people understand the variances in the results.

crufootball

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 28, 2011, 08:48:08 AM
The fan poll is not particularly geographically diverse, which is a big difference. Ours is intentionally evenly distributed.

Hey Pat, is the D3football.com poll distributed based on where more D3 schools are the 25 votes distributed equally no matter  the amount of D3 schools in the area?