D3 Top 25 Fan Poll

Started by usee, October 20, 2010, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: hazzben on October 08, 2011, 08:40:53 PM
Quote from: MasterJedi on October 08, 2011, 04:50:26 PM
Muskingum loses, see this is why most of us did not rank them.  :P

What is interesting here is that unless Mount gets upset by someone, the OAC's 2nd place team will be no better than 8-2. Makes things a little more interesting for the Pool C discussion.

Two 8-2 OAC Pool C teams have made the playoffs in recent years:

In 2007 an 8-2 Capital Team made the playoffs and lost to UWW in the first round.

In 2005 an 8-2 Capital Team made the playoffs and ended up beating North Central and Wabash, before losing to Mount Union.  Mount Union was 9-1 regular season (lost to ONU), made the playoffs and beat UWW in the Championship that year.  ONU ended up 7-2, losing to John Carroll and Capital, and missed the playoffs after beating Mount Union.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

smedindy

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on October 10, 2011, 09:08:25 AM

What is interesting here is that unless Mount gets upset by someone, the OAC's 2nd place team will be no better than 8-2. Makes things a little more interesting for the Pool C discussion.

In 2007 an 8-2 Capital Team made the playoffs and lost to UWW in the first round.

In 2005 an 8-2 Capital Team made the playoffs and ended up beating North Central and Wabash, before losing to Mount Union.  Mount Union was 9-1 regular season (lost to ONU), made the playoffs and beat UWW in the Championship that year.  ONU ended up 7-2, losing to John Carroll and Capital, and missed the playoffs after beating Mount Union.

You HAD to bring up 2005. That was THE year that the Purple Raiders could have come to Crawfordsville. Sigh...

:(

BashDad

Mugsy

In 2008, very few people expected Wheaton to get a pool C nod at 8-2, many were shocked (and a bit angry).

As the last team into the field of 32, Wheaton went onto the semi-finals before their nearly annual exit from the playoffs at the hands of Mount Union.

1st Round: Wheaton def. Trine 14-0
2nd Round: Wheaton def. Wabash 59-28
Quarter Finals: Wheaton def. Franklin 45-28
Semi Finals: Mount Union def. Wheaton 45-24
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

hazzben

Quote from: Mugsy on October 10, 2011, 01:52:31 PM

In 2008, very few people expected Wheaton to get a pool C nod at 8-2, many were shocked (and a bit angry).

As the last team into the field of 32, Wheaton went onto the semi-finals before their nearly annual exit from the playoffs at the hands of Mount Union.

I hear all of that. I just think there are probably going to be some very quality 8-2 teams at seasons end and an OAC 8-2 might not be the one (if any even do) to get the nod.

02 Warhawk

I'm pulling for Oshkosh to finish 8-2 this season, with their only losses coming to Mount and UWW. It will be tough leaving them out of the playoffs, if that ends up happening.

If I was an Oshkosh fan, I'm hoping Central wins out to improve the Titans' regional SOS.

Mugsy

Quote from: hazzben on October 10, 2011, 04:24:31 PM
Quote from: Mugsy on October 10, 2011, 01:52:31 PM

I hear all of that. I just think there are probably going to be some very quality 8-2 teams at seasons end and an OAC 8-2 might not be the one (if any even do) to get the nod.

Yup.  I know you're reply wasn't necessarily directed at me, I was giving another example of an 8-2 team to make it into the playoffs as a Pool C and do quite well.

For what it's worth, almost every year one could make a case for 8-2 teams that if in the playoffs would contend quite well, if not win a game or two.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Teamski

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 10, 2011, 04:42:08 PM
I'm pulling for Oshkosh to finish 8-2 this season, with their only losses coming to Mount and UWW. It will be tough leaving them out of the playoffs, if that ends up happening.

If I was an Oshkosh fan, I'm hoping Central wins out to improve the Titans' regional SOS.

My question is this:  Why would any coach in the WIAC schedule MU in the first place with the obvious exception of UWW?  That is a self-induced a$$ whopping and a great way to lose a Pool C bid.  I don't understand it unless he wanted a shot at the target on the backs of the jerseys..... ::)

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Teamski

Quote from: Teamski on October 10, 2011, 05:35:18 PM

My question is this:  Why would any coach in the WIAC schedule MU in the first place with the obvious exception of UWW?  That is a self-induced a$$ whopping and a great way to lose a Pool C bid.  I don't understand it unless he wanted a shot at the target on the backs of the jerseys..... ::)

-Ski

Never mind, I noticed that the WIAC does a round-robin, so it doesn't matter in the end.   ::)

-Ski

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Mugsy on October 10, 2011, 04:43:26 PM
For what it's worth, almost every year one could make a case for 8-2 teams that if in the playoffs would contend quite well, if not win a game or two.

This is especially true considering the variation in quality between conferences.  I'd even guess that some 6-4 teams from the strongest conferences (WIAC, CCIW, OAC) could win a few playoff games with the right matchup.

With that said, I strongly believe that all conference champions deserve a playoff spot regardless of the relative "quality" of the conference (and the same goes for undefeated Pool B teams).  If you don't like it...then win your conference!
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

emma17

Quote from: Teamski on October 10, 2011, 05:41:00 PM

-Ski

Never mind, I noticed that the WIAC does a round-robin, so it doesn't matter in the end.   ::)

-Ski

Ski, when you say round-robin- do you mean automatic qualifier for conference champ?

I won't pretend to know the exact reasons Oshkosh scheduled Mt, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhat analagous to me believing it would be good for my 12 year old daughter to play on the 14 year old volleyball team if she can make it (and importantly, it's what she wants).  She will get better playing better competition.   

If Oshkosh were to go 8-2,  losing only to Mt and UWW, it would be a travisty in my opinion if the committee did not select them.  I know that means some other team has to lose out, but...

Ralph Turner

The loss to Mount is not "in-region" for UW-O.  It doesn't hurt them as much.

smedindy

An 8-2 Oshkosh would definitely be in consideration. Of course, that all depends on the other West Region shenanigans for their regional rankings. There's a chance they may not get 'to the table' at 8-2.

I think from 15-35 it's all a toss of the coin anyway.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: smedindy on October 10, 2011, 07:53:58 PM
An 8-2 Oshkosh would definitely be in consideration. Of course, that all depends on the other West Region shenanigans for their regional rankings. There's a chance they may not get 'to the table' at 8-2.

I think from 15-35 it's all a toss of the coin anyway.
More accurately, UW-O would be West Region 8-1.

Teamski

Quote from: emma17 on October 10, 2011, 07:42:24 PM
Quote from: Teamski on October 10, 2011, 05:41:00 PM

-Ski

-Ski

Ski, when you say round-robin- do you mean automatic qualifier for conference champ?

Hehehe..... I lost two Karma on this posting....anyways, all of the teams in WIAC play eachother, so if Oshkosh did finish 8-2, it would be in consideration for a pool C bid anyways. 

-Ski