Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Just my thought, but if Wesley wins, and I don't really think they won't, they will get in. It won't matter if they are a B or a C, they will be in. Personally I think they go in as the no-brainer B and Case will be left to fight it out with the C's. Both teams have 1 D3 loss, but Wesley's loss is to a better team, and they carry a lot of history. A Wesley loss, however, and I'm thinking they stay home. With 2 losses I think Case (provided they win) gets the B and two losses in an abbreviated D3 schedule is going to look awful when put up against the rest of the 1 loss D3 teams in Pool C. I think Wesley's playoffs started way earlier than any other team this year. Certainly as far back as the Salisbury game and possibly every D3 game after the loss to Kean.

ExTartanPlayer

I second jknezek's thoughts.

If Wesley wins, they should get the B (despite the short Division III schedule) via by virute of having some wins vs. regionally-ranked opponents.

If Wesley loses, I think they're out of the playoffs for the reasons knezek outlined.

If CWRU and Wesley BOTH lose this weekend (a remote possibility, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely; the CMU-CWRU game is a conference rivalry game, and CMU has played just well enough this year for that to be a possibility), things will get a little interesting.  I'd be inclined to think that Wesley gets the bid because their losses would have come against MUCH better team's than CWRU's losses, and they still would have the Salisbury win to hang their hat on.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

smedindy

If Wesley and CWRU both lose, Huntingdon will get thrown into the mix by nature of their wins against Wesley and Wittenberg.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: smedindy on November 09, 2011, 09:28:10 AM
If Wesley and CWRU both lose, Huntingdon will get thrown into the mix by nature of their wins against Wesley and Wittenberg.

Good point!  I'd forgotten that Huntingdon themselves will be a Pool B candidate if they can upset Wesley.  If it comes to 9-1 CWRU, 8-2 Huntingdon, 8-2 Wesley, one could easily argue that Huntingdon has the strongest case (in addition to the wins over Wesley & Wittenberg, they would also have a win over regionally-ranked ODAC champ Hampden-Sydney).
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 09, 2011, 09:31:28 AM
Quote from: smedindy on November 09, 2011, 09:28:10 AM

Good point!  I'd forgotten that Huntingdon themselves will be a Pool B candidate if they can upset Wesley.  If it comes to 9-1 CWRU, 8-2 Huntingdon, 8-2 Wesley, one could easily argue that Huntingdon has the strongest case (in addition to the wins over Wesley & Wittenberg, they would also have a win over regionally-ranked ODAC champ Hampden-Sydney).
And a "result" versus Trinity. :)

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

I second almost everything on this page.

Wesley in with win.

Wesley loss/Huntingdon win: If Case wins, they're the B, Huntingdon might be the best two-loss team in C.

Any Case loss they are out, definitely as the B to the Hunt/Wes winner, and probably wouldn't grade very well as the C against other two-loss teams.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

ADL70

Quote from: K-Mack on November 09, 2011, 09:26:04 PM
I second almost everything on this page.

Wesley in with win.

Wesley loss/Huntingdon win: If Case wins, they're the B, Huntingdon might be the best two-loss team in C.

Any Case loss they are out, definitely as the B to the Hunt/Wes winner, and probably wouldn't grade very well as the C against other two-loss teams.

If Huntingdon wins wouldn't they have wins against three regionally ranked teams and a loss to a fourth (Trinity).  Couldn't the committee decide to give greater weight to those results over CWRU's in-region record?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

smedindy

I think if Huntingdon upsets Wesley they may be in the "B" catbird seat. They've played a heck of a schedule and their record and results against regionally ranked teams may overcome a CWRU 9-0 regional record.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: smedindy on November 10, 2011, 09:20:59 AM
I think if Huntingdon upsets Wesley they may be in the "B" catbird seat. They've played a heck of a schedule and their record and results against regionally ranked teams may overcome a CWRU 9-0 regional record.

#1 in SOS by a huge margin (moreso after Saturday) should count for something if they go 3-1 against RROs.

Ralph Turner

I like Huntingdon's "results" versus regionally ranked teams. I think that is why I believe that they deserve the Pool B with a win over Wesley.

thewaterboy

Huntingdon needs to win first. And they are going up against a very motivated and driven Wesley College Football team. If you have seen what I have, you would know. IMO, I dont think Wesley is at all the same team as the one that lost to Kean. Huntingdon may be in contention for a pool B bid. But i believe that Wesley is the clear front-runner for it.

Looking through Wesley blue glasses though  8-) we will see this Saturday!

smedindy

Of course Wesley is the front-runner. But any team that beat Hampden -Sydney and throttled Wittenberg (who knew they had to win to have any playoff chance if they didn't win the NCAC) can play with most everyone in D3.

PA_wesleyfan

Even if Huntingdon loses to Wesley IMHO they still be better than a few one loss teams though I know that they don't get a bid. Their other loss being to a good Birmingham Southern team on the road should get them on the board with a win over Wesley
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

jknezek

Quote from: PA_wesleyfan on November 10, 2011, 07:37:57 PM
Even if Huntingdon loses to Wesley IMHO they still be better than a few one loss teams though I know that they don't get a bid. Their other loss being to a good Birmingham Southern team on the road should get them on the board with a win over Wesley

Huntingdon has a loss to Trinity as well. So they are already a 2 loss team.