FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: BigKat on October 14, 2020, 01:51:29 PM
Let's get back to football here. So most likely no spring sports in Nescac and as I said earlier, I think Fall '21 season is at real risk as well from what I hear from Ivy parent circles. Lets hope not

While nobody wants to believe that is even a remote possibility, I am becoming more convinced that the Fall '21 season is in possible peril (and I do step outside of NESCAC and Ivy circles......as there is a much bigger world ;) ) for many reasons.

Please get off of the "vaccine panacea". A vaccine, given to 30% - 35% of people...........with a success rate in the 40% - 50% area does very little. MUCH better than nothing, but very little just the same. The resolution is in the therapeutics. The take two of these, three times a day for a week magic pills. Therapuetics, mask wearing (properly) and social distancing might just have us back in business for the Winter '21-'22 season.

Everybody has an opinion and everybody is equally entitled to one, regardless of where they went to school. :)

amh63

Watching too much TV these days in an election year.  Somewhat "fun" to connect news topics to Nescac.  Example....Supreme Court nominations.
Two late Justices...considered conservatives...sent their children to Amherst/Williams.  One was a great Amherst basketball player named Rehnquist...sister went to Williams. They lived in Northern Va.  Two FOX broadcasters...Tucker Carlson and Jessie Walters are Trinity Alums. 
Tucker even mentioned Trinity and Dartmouth in a recent broadcast.  A few years back, my best man and I were in Middletown, Ct. watching some sporting events.  My best man who lives in the Durham NC area now...went off to hear Juan Williams of Fox shows speak.  I chatted with classmates and other Amherst alums.  One classmate was going up to the Head of the Charles rowing event...he was an All-American swimmer.  The former Westport, Ct. resident has migrated this year to Florida...taxes. 
Oh yes...connecting to this football site.  Two of my Class of '95 son's classmates married present Amherst football coaches.  Always get greetings from them when I attended events at Amherst.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 18, 2020, 09:53:25 AM
Quote from: BigKat on October 14, 2020, 01:51:29 PM
Let's get back to football here. So most likely no spring sports in Nescac and as I said earlier, I think Fall '21 season is at real risk as well from what I hear from Ivy parent circles. Lets hope not

While nobody wants to believe that is even a remote possibility, I am becoming more convinced that the Fall '21 season is in possible peril (and I do step outside of NESCAC and Ivy circles......as there is a much bigger world ;) ) for many reasons.

Please get off of the "vaccine panacea". A vaccine, given to 30% - 35% of people...........with a success rate in the 40% - 50% area does very little. MUCH better than nothing, but very little just the same. The resolution is in the therapeutics. The take two of these, three times a day for a week magic pills. Therapuetics, mask wearing (properly) and social distancing might just have us back in business for the Winter '21-'22 season.

Everybody has an opinion and everybody is equally entitled to one, regardless of where they went to school. :)

No argument that the 2021 season is in peril, but at what point does this "end"?  At what point do we accept that Covid is part of our world and we need to move on at even the D3 level to play sports?   I agree that there is not going to be a bright light that shines out to tell everyone that it is okay to go out to play again, but life is full of risk acceptance so when does that time come?

SpringSt7

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 18, 2020, 09:56:51 AM
Quote from: bantamweight on October 09, 2020, 03:55:22 PM
Quote from: Hawk196 on October 09, 2020, 10:03:58 AM
This online crap is a joke and I feel bad for people paying $70K+ for a glorified Univ. of Arizona remote degree
So elitist that U of Arizona is that far beneath you? Ranked a top 100 university with a 1B endowment.  :o

Elitism, on the NESCAC board???? No, never, not a chance. Tad and Buffy are screaming in disbelief from their fourth home, in Kennebunkport, while the maid makes breakfast. Tad is wearing those God awful shorts with crabs on them, while he wears his golf shirt...................with the collar up (THAT was never a good look) ;)

Aren't you the guy who came in here once and told everyone how much money he made?

jumpshot

Hey jefffan, I've not given amHerst a thought ever since I went 16-0 against them in two sports, two games a year, for four years.

nescac1

Another solid commitment for the Ephs, Ethan Scott, a 6'1 210 lb. LB from the Berkshire School.  He chose the Ephs over a ton of really strong offers (Amherst, Wesleyan, and scholarship offers at Monmouth and Valpo). 

The Ephs seem to be bringing in a very talented group of linebackers in Scott, Will Stockwell, Ryan Carney, and Cameron Smith (who also turned down higher-level offers) next year.  Should help replace two of the most productive LBs in Eph history (Wesner and Rothmann) when they graduate after the 2021 season.  Clearly a position that Raymond and his staff prioritize. 

lumbercat

Shallow interpretation of Williams athletics by an undergrad.......has jumphot seen that article?
I think he said "I was 16-0 against Amherst in 4 years".......got me thinking the guy must have played individual sports to make that statement--squash, tennis.....maybe wrestling???

amh63

Lumbercat....who knows wrt Jumpshot.   Previous posts by Jumpshot indicated to me that he lives in the D.C area....knows the area outdoor basketball courts  that I know.  Do not think he was on the wrestling team since Amherst has not had a college wrestling team since the late 60's.  My younger brother had a high school classmate whose father was the legendary head coach of the Boston Celtics.  Used to see "Red A" at the same basketball court at the DC Chevy Chase BB court checking out the local talent. 

lumbercat

Sounds like he played individual sport......"I was 16-0"

jknezek

Quote from: lumbercat on October 22, 2020, 10:25:04 AM

Not necessarily. He said 16-0 in 2 sports across 4 years. If he played baseball as one of those sports he'd like have played Amherst 3x a season, right? That would be 12 contests. Add in football or soccer and you'd be at 16. It could also be basketball with a double round robin and maybe a tournament game or four. That would get you to 8-12 games, then soccer with a few more maybe. Bunch of options here.

nescac1

Every few years there is an Op-Ed like that in the Record.  It's an opinion that seems to percolate on campus without ever gaining a huge amount of support.  I've seen no evidence that Williams (as opposed to, perhaps, some of its peers ... in either direction!) is contemplating changing the balance of its relative emphasis on athletics in admissions anytime soon.  Keep in mind, Williams already did so over the past 20 years ... moving from 72 TIPS to 66 (while the overall class size increased marginally during that period), significantly reducing the number of "low band" athletic admits accepted, generally increasing the overall academic standards for TIPS. 

The focus on the Director's Cup as a proxy for overemphasis on athletic attributes in recruiting is pretty silly in my view, considering that the sports that Williams tends to dominate and gain a ton of points in the Directors' Cup from, things like tennis, golf, cross country, swimming, track and field, women's crew, also tend to be the sports with the fewest concessions when it comes to admissions.  Football, for example, which alone accounts for something like one out of five recruited athletes, doesn't even earn any Director's Cup points.  Meanwhile, in recent years, Williams is mostly middle-of-the-pack most years in most of the team sports (soccer, basketball, football, ice hockey, lacrosse, field hockey, baseball, softball), with occasional exceptions (perpetually dominant women's soccer team, sporadically stellar men's basketball team, softball). 

In all events, Williams has been number one in U.S. News for 18 straight years.  The school has the highest endowment of any liberal arts college, by a significant margin.  The average SAT scores on campus are higher than ever.  It just built a spectacular new outdoor sports complex.  All sorts of alums connected to sports have been killing it in recent years (Jason Hehir, Duncan Robinson, Raf Stone, Sean Gleeson, Mike Bajakian, Kriste Kirshe, Dave Paulsen, etc. arguably more relatively recent prominent alums in sports than in any other field), bringing a lot of great publicity to the school.  Why would the school change a balance that's clearly working out just fine? 

lumbercat

Quote from: jknezek on October 22, 2020, 10:50:54 AM

Not necessarily. He said 16-0 in 2 sports across 4 years. If he played baseball as one of those sports he'd like have played Amherst 3x a season, right? That would be 12 contests. Add in football or soccer and you'd be at 16. It could also be basketball with a double round robin and maybe a tournament game or four. That would get you to 8-12 games, then soccer with a few more maybe. Bunch of options here.

Didn't mean to set that trap for you.....I get it.
My point is most guys who embrace a team concept and accomplishment would say WE were 16-0.

jknezek

Quote from: lumbercat on October 22, 2020, 08:34:39 PM

My point is most guys who embrace a team concept and accomplishment would say WE were 16-0.

Ah. I guess I can see that. Wouldn't have been the first thing to pop in my mind though. Since I'm 20 plus years post college, that feeling of team fades a bit I think.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on October 23, 2020, 09:13:02 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on October 22, 2020, 08:34:39 PM

Ah. I guess I can see that. Wouldn't have been the first thing to pop in my mind though. Since I'm 20 plus years post college, that feeling of team fades a bit I think.

And it might be different for an individual who was on multiple teams, perhaps?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.