2012 Playoffs: Bracket Reactions & more

Started by K-Mack, November 11, 2012, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah, it is JUST parity, IF you leave off the other part USEE mentioned: 6 of the CCIW's 7 won at least a first-round game.  ANY AQ conference with parity can send lots of different teams to the playoffs (the AQ is automatically in); only a conference with parity AND quality can win playoff games with so many different teams.

K-Mack

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 07:54:02 PM
Yeah, it is JUST parity, IF you leave off the other part USEE mentioned: 6 of the CCIW's 7 won at least a first-round game.  ANY AQ conference with parity can send lots of different teams to the playoffs (the AQ is automatically in); only a conference with parity AND quality can win playoff games with so many different teams.

I did miss the part about winning in the first round. Is it Millikin who failed to advance ever?

I'd have to look that up to believe it. They beat Hope maybe in the early 2000s?

Anyway, saying the CCIW is a really good conference with evenly spread talent isn't saying anything we don't already know.

That said, the claim was made that after Round 1, the CCIW is the best conference. That's a possibility, but beating the SCIAC and IIAC champs, even on the road, one year after beating the IIAC and getting bounced by MWC and NCAC doesn't exactly cause a ripple throughout the conference rankings.

Winning at Linfield and/or at St. Thomas ... then we could start praising the CCIW's awesomeness. IMO.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah, Millikin (back in 2000) is the team that didn't advance.

I don't recall anyone claiming the CCIW to be the BEST conference.  (If anyone did, they should be blood tested!)  Are you mixing it up with the front page poll question on which conference HAD the best first round?  (Yes, I voted for the CCIW on THAT question. ;))

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 08:24:02 PM

I don't recall anyone claiming the CCIW to be the BEST conference.  (If anyone did, they should be blood tested!)  Are you mixing it up with the front page poll question on which conference HAD the best first round?  (Yes, I voted for the CCIW on THAT question. ;))

Keith doesn't mix stuff up. :) It was someone making the claim on Twitter.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2012, 08:38:03 PM

The claim was made on Twitter.

Pat keeps me from making most of my public mixups. Everyone needs a good editor.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

pg04

Quote from: K-Mack on November 19, 2012, 08:45:50 PM

Pat keeps me from making most of my public mixups. Everyone needs a good editor.

I did call you the ruler of the universe or something last week, so you can't possibly make mistakes.

K-Mack

Quote from: pg04 on November 19, 2012, 08:49:52 PM

I did call you the ruler of the universe or something last week, so you can't possibly make mistakes.

And I hit two of the Triple Take scores on the nose, so let's all ignore the games I missed!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Mr. Ypsi

It figures it was on Twitter, since whoever made the claim is a twit! ;)

Man, if only I had an editor to protect me from brain farts! ;D  (But once in a blue moon, even Pat needs an editor: he had two consecutive posts on the CCIW board where he called the former NPU coach 'Pethel' - never seen him make an error like that before! :o)

Pat Coleman

Nor have I ever seen people get so worked up about a typo. But let's not do your usual exaggeration, Chuck. It was one post.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4077.msg1465569#msg1465569
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pg04

(chanting like a kid in school) Fight! Fight! Fight!  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2012, 10:16:50 PM
Nor have I ever seen people get so worked up about a typo. But let's not do your usual exaggeration, Chuck. It was one post.

Check post #27080 on the previous page.

I no longer EVER exaggerate! 8-)

(I figure during playoff season, you probably had Bethel on your mind and had a 'brain fart'.  Since I have LOTS of brain farts, I'm certainly not holding it against you.)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 10:45:40 PM

(I figure during playoff season, you probably had Bethel on your mind and had a 'brain fart'.  Since I have LOTS of brain farts, I'm certainly not holding it against you.)

Not consecutive posts. Not consecutive posts on the board, not consecutive posts of mine and not consecutive posts of mine on the board.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2012, 10:53:35 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 19, 2012, 10:45:40 PM

Not consecutive posts. Not consecutive posts on the board, not consecutive posts of mine and not consecutive posts of mine on the board.

Since I have made it clear I am being light-hearted, I can't believe you are being so defensive.  It was consecutive posts where you had mentioned 'Pethtel' and spelled it 'Pethel'.

Big deal.  We don't expect you to be perfect.  It just stuck with me BECAUSE such an error is so out of character for you.

Pat Coleman

Yeah, sorry -- that reads as being way more defensive than the tone I had in my head when I wrote it, sorry about that.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 20, 2012, 10:33:37 AM
Yeah, sorry -- that reads as being way more defensive than the tone I had in my head when I wrote it, sorry about that.

Shame, shame, for not being able to convey tone in a typewritten post.  Clearly you need to start inserting more smiley faces.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa