MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucket

Thrilled to hear about the birth of Quinn O'Connor Sharry.

I understand he's already being recruited for the Middlebury Class of 2043.

amh63

I for one hope to be around to see him play!  If the boy is as good as his father....I will think Amherst will recruit him hard😎.
By the way...is your son becoming a Nescac player?

ThumannsOwn

Quote from: amh63 on August 12, 2020, 10:54:28 AM
I for one hope to be around to see him play!  If the boy is as good as his father....I will think Amherst will recruit him hard😎.

Sounds like Amherst should start recruiting some players for the upcoming season, assuming it will even take place. Robinson, Day, and Timmy McCarthy are supposedly taking gap years as well as an incoming FY player. Che is considering graduation in December and playing elsewhere in 2021-22. Any other similar developments in NESCAC that people are hearing about?

Colby Hoops

Quote from: ThumannsOwn on August 13, 2020, 02:13:36 PM

Sounds like Amherst should start recruiting some players for the upcoming season, assuming it will even take place. Robinson, Day, and Timmy McCarthy are supposedly taking gap years as well as an incoming FY player. Che is considering graduation in December and playing elsewhere in 2021-22. Any other similar developments in NESCAC that people are hearing about?

No insight on specific players, but I've heard that there will be a lot of players doing this. At this point it seems pretty unlikely there will be a season any way.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Colby Hoops on August 13, 2020, 02:47:57 PM
Quote from: ThumannsOwn on August 13, 2020, 02:13:36 PM

No insight on specific players, but I've heard that there will be a lot of players doing this. At this point it seems pretty unlikely there will be a season any way.

It'll be interesting to see what happens for d3.  D1 will almost certainly have some kind of season and will absolutely have a men's basketball tournament.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 13, 2020, 07:16:29 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens for d3.  D1 will almost certainly have some kind of season and will absolutely have a men's basketball tournament.

If we've learned anything in the past five months, it's that there are no absolutes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 13, 2020, 07:53:29 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 13, 2020, 07:16:29 PM

If we've learned anything in the past five months, it's that there are no absolutes.

I guess not, but it's hard to see the NCAA surviving another missed tourney.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

nescac1

Ryan, I hope there is an NCAA tourney this year.  But the NCAA will survive either way, mate :)!

A few links from recent weeks:

- Jimmy Butler giving some love to Duncan's Eph days on IG after yet another ridiculous shooting performance: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEIGnLBhLfz/?igshid=154pwg4huabhu

Speaking of Duncan, Bill Simmons featured him on his 25-players-to-watch in the playoffs podcast and could not stop raving about his overall game.   

- article on Noah Helmke's commitment to Amherst.  Notes that Toomey did most of his recruiting, so maybe doesn't fully count as a Sears recruit, although he did seal the deal:

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/noah-helmke-kekoa-mcardle-navigating-basketball-recruiting-process-in-an-unusual-summer,611061

- a blogger makes the case for "wunderkind" Will Hardy as the next Pelicans' coach:

https://pelicandebrief.com/2020/08/17/new-orleans-pelicans-reasons-hardy-coach/

nescac1

Great article on Duncan that should be of interest to Wes fans as well (lots of Rafferty quotes).  Even if as usual it egregiously underrates D3 hoops!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29707109/nba-playoffs-miami-heat-duncan-robinson-steps-sunlight

ThumannsOwn

Quote from: nescac1 on July 25, 2020, 03:10:20 PM
Yeah, gotta say, Amherst had a hell of a hiring run for awhile ... Gromacki, Serpone, Jon Thompson all arrived in a several-year span, and all elevated programs from OK / good to perpetual national powers.  Whoever is responsible for that hiring spree (perhaps among others of note?) deserves a ton of credit.  I'm surprised still that Gromacki has never moved up ...

On another note, this info from Woj is the best possible outcome for former Eph Will Hardy.  You do NOT want to coach the Knicks under worst-owner-in-sports Dolan, career suicide.  But this means his name will be in the mix for future jobs, any of which can only be better:

Two young head coaching candidates who made a strong impression on the Knicks in the search process, per sources: Dallas' Jamahl Mosley and San Antonio's Will Hardy.

Sad to report that the real Coach Hixon passed away last week - https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?n=wilbur-g-hixon&pid=196738519

Lifetime father/son record - 1,295 wins against 439 losses - wow! Totally deserving of their joint induction into the New England basketball HOF.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

OMG ... next time PLEASE give a first name when you post that. I thought Dave Hixon had died when I read that initially!

I mean, maybe I should have known it was his dad considering his care of him over the last few years ... but still, I had my heart in my throat!

Phew ... okay ... now that my heart is no longer racing.

RIP Wilbur Hixon. I know Dave was proud of his dad and cared for him a great deal. I am sure while this was known to be coming, it is still hard for the family. My thoughts are with everyone.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

Seriously.  I had same initial reaction as Dave!

nescac1

Yet another article focusing on Duncan's time at Willians.  This time with loads of quotes from
Dan Wohl:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-09-14/duncan-robinson-is-the-heat-sharpshooter-with-humble-roots

I think pretty much every angle has now been covered, except what reporter is gonna track down Michael Mayer, the guy who relegated Duncan to a second option on that Eph team :)?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

Well, that was about a newsworthy of a week that Eph hoops could possibly have without actually playing any basketball.

First, Duncan had his (in my view) best all-around game of the playoffs, playing very well on both ends of the floor (plus 24 for the night!) and hitting his usual array of clutch shots.  Still hard to believe that he's starting for an NBA finalist right now, and making a big impact on the offensive end (even when he's not hitting shots, he attracts so much defensive attention on the perimeter).  I gotta say, even I'M sick of hearing about his starting out at Williams, and we will hear an entire new dose of that now that there is a much bigger finals audience.   I did see one fun new Duncan anecdote from Mark Titus, pretty wild: https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/1310402857850425344?s=20

Second, Will Hardy is apparently in the running for the OKC Thunder head coaching job.  He's still probably a bit young and unknown to land one of these jobs (although you never know), but the more times he gets interviewed and makes a good impression, the better his odds of becoming a head coach within the next few years:  https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/espns-windhorst-spurs-will-hardy-among-names-for-thunder-head-coaching-job

Third, JL Cauvin, who is amazing, named (deservedly) best Trump impressionist, and he gave a shout out to his two Eph hoops coaches in response: https://twitter.com/JLCauvin/status/1309860809686777856