FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Quote from: hazzben on October 09, 2019, 10:23:46 AM
Quote from: USee on October 08, 2019, 05:24:51 PM
Hazzbeen,

I saw you post on the west region fan poll board. I don't see the Bethel/StJU winner as an inside track for a #1 seed per se. That may be the case but I believe its more nuanced than that. I don't think Bethel has a better shot than Wheaton at a 1 seed if they win Saturday. Maybe they do, but I am not sure why that would be.

It's no slam dunk that's for sure. And Wheaton will have a really good resume. If Wheaton wins out and the winner of SJU/BU wins out, one advantage for the MIAC squad will be last years playoff result. If the other criteria are a push, that would give them the nudge. Bethel also has an outside shot of Simpson being ranked in region.

All that to say, it's really a bit early as all three have a lot of football left to play.

We can pick this up in two weeks after StJ has played Bethel and UST. Bethel obviously has to play @UST in a few weeks as well. In the CCIW Wheaton has already played and beaten a top 5 and a top 15 team. While they still have to play 6 more games none of them are against ranked opponents. The WashU and Augie games are both @Wheaton. If an MIAC goes undefeated against that schedule, it would be compelling I agree. That said, I actually don't think the #1 Seed discussion will be between an undefeated MIAC/CCIW team.

wally_wabash

Hazzbeen,

I saw you post on the west region fan poll board. I don't see the Bethel/StJU winner as an inside track for a #1 seed per se. That may be the case but I believe its more nuanced than that. I don't think Bethel has a better shot than Wheaton at a 1 seed if they win Saturday. Maybe they do, but I am not sure why that would be.

It's no slam dunk that's for sure. And Wheaton will have a really good resume. If Wheaton wins out and the winner of SJU/BU wins out, one advantage for the MIAC squad will be last years playoff result. If the other criteria are a push, that would give them the nudge. Bethel also has an outside shot of Simpson being ranked in region.

All that to say, it's really a bit early as all three have a lot of football left to play.

Also, again, Ithaca/Salisbury/Wesley. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 09, 2019, 12:18:25 PM
Hazzbeen,

Not saying that Wesley may be on the level of the aforementioned teams this year, but with them having won against two conference leaders and possibly getting against Salisbury this weekend, that would most likely give them 3 RR wins.

USee

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 09, 2019, 12:18:25 PM
Hazzbeen,

Maybe. It will be competitive for #1 seeds if some of these teams win out and the margin will be small. Getting that extra RRO in at the end or a bump in SOS may be the difference.  How do you decide between Bethel and Wesley if they both are undefeated and have 3 RRO's and similar SOS? Those are big IF's, but it's not impossible.

AndOne

It's difficult, even possibly foolhardy at times, to try to deeply analyze teams you haven't seen play.
Accordingly, I won't comment on teams recently mentioned above that are outside of the CCIW.
Wheaton is a team I have seen, on tape, and now in person. They have a very good QB. I'm not sure he is always quite as good as he showed last Sat, but he is certainly up there nationally with other top level signal callers. They have a nice receiving corps, especially a certain young man who put on an AA performance against NCC on Sat. I sense some other schools are on the same level. Same with their featured RB who seems to possess a wonderful combination of quickness, speed, and power. I also sense there are at least a few others around the country on the same level. All this offensive strength/firepower serves well, but the old adage is defense wins championships, and the Wheaton defense seems even more formidable than the offense. The seven sacks they rang up against NCC represented a super effort/achievement. The DL and LBs are formidable obstacles. And while the defensive backfield seems, at least to me, to be a bit undersized with the tallest member being only 6'0", they appear to be very quick in addition to being sure tacklers.

Having heaped this much praise on the Orange Team, I feel as though I need a shower. 🚿  :D. However, no matter how many RROs a team may have, or what rung on the Top 25 ladder they may occupy as the regular season ends, being honest, I sense the crusading Thunder have a good chance to run the table. Finally, that any team looking forward to facing them in the playoffs is asking for trouble. 🏈

USee

I have to give credit to new Defensive Coordinator CJ Nightingale. He has done a tremendous job with this defense. They lost the DPOY and an NFL quality corner as well as another starting safety and DT and he has still put out the best defense in the country, better than any defense I have seen at Wheaton in recent years. I see a strategy on defense from a young DC that has Swider's fingerprints on it and I hear CJ, to his credit,  is very collaborative in the film room drawing knowledge from any coach he can. Whatever his formula, he has done a fantastic job as Defense was where I thought the Thunder had the most issues coming into the season.

On offense, I give a lot of credit to Jesse Scott and Taylor Graham for their gameplan last week against NCC. North Central likes to play a lot of bump and run and the Thunder regularly put their corners and safeties into tough matchups (Nichols in the slot vs a safety: Terrini into the short side as a speedster against a taller corner, etc) and we saw the results.

The Thunder coaches have done a great job and this years team has a chance, if they stay healthy and continue to play at this level, at a special year in the twilight of Swider's tremendous coaching career.

kiko

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 08, 2019, 11:12:50 PM
Quote from: AndOne on October 08, 2019, 02:09:52 PM
Quote from: USee on October 08, 2019, 09:25:42 AM
AndOne,

Congrats. Awesome news. You are lucky it wasn't a boy because then there was a non zero chance he may have ended up as guard on the IWU basketball team

Thank you USee. Awesome indeed.
I think there was a zero chance at any rate as tests have revealed a family allergy to green. 😊

I foresee that thru advances in allergy medicine, Scarlett will be the AA PG for the national champion Titans in 2040! ;D

Bah, more likely she'll become an opera singer...

Congrats AndOne!

AndOne

Thank you sir.  :)
Actually, her mom sang in a couple of choral groups at NCC, and has done weddings, so if she sings as robustly as she can cry, opera might be a possibility. 🗣  :D

All right then, I'll bet I'm not the only one who could handle a little football discussion/news.
Anyone else think NCC will finish 9-1 and make the playoffs?  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: kiko on October 09, 2019, 09:11:20 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 08, 2019, 11:12:50 PM
Quote from: AndOne on October 08, 2019, 02:09:52 PM
Quote from: USee on October 08, 2019, 09:25:42 AM
AndOne,

Congrats. Awesome news. You are lucky it wasn't a boy because then there was a non zero chance he may have ended up as guard on the IWU basketball team

Thank you USee. Awesome indeed.
I think there was a zero chance at any rate as tests have revealed a family allergy to green. 😊

I foresee that thru advances in allergy medicine, Scarlett will be the AA PG for the national champion Titans in 2040! ;D

Bah, more likely she'll become an opera singer...

Congrats AndOne!

Hey, don't go treading in IWU70's territory! ;D

On a more serious note:  Scarlett is not even a week old.  Who knows if she has college smarts (or desire).  (I think of this whenever I contribute to my grandkids' college funds, since the oldest grandkid just started kindergarten.  Fortunately the Michigan fund I contribute to makes it easy to transfer from one recipient to another.)  Probably we all just assume our kids/grandkids will go to good colleges, but they are their own people.  They may not have any such interest; and competent electricians, plumbers, etc., can make far higher incomes than many college graduates.

So I'll just wish Scarlett happiness and fulfillment in whatever role she chooses.

PS:  Just saw your reply to kiko.  How dare you try to introduce football to Scarlett's board! ;D

AndOne

Thanks again, Ypsi.
Que sera, sera. 🤷🏼‍♂️  :D

Mr. Ypsi

In Kenosha:  IWU 31, Carthage 7.  Gotta like the Titan defense.  Late in the game, Carthage had first and goal from the one.  By the time the Titans took over on downs, the ball was on the seven!

BTW, Brandon Bauer sat out the whole game with a thumb injury, so this was all done by the back-up QB.

kiko

Today:

Wash U 47, Elmhurst 7 in St. Louis

Illinois Wesleyan 31, Carthage 7 in Kenosha

North Central 42, Augustana 14 in Naperville

Wheaton 63, North Park 0 at Foster and Kedzie

Millikin 30, Carroll 7 in Waukesha

-----

Next week:

Carthage at Millikin
Illinois Wesleyan at Elmhurst
North Central at Carroll
North Park at Augustana
Wash U at Wheaton

AndOne

Quote from: kiko on October 12, 2019, 06:01:38 PM
Today:

Wash U 47, Elmhurst 7 in St. Louis

Illinois Wesleyan 31, Carthage 7 in Kenosha

North Central 42, Augustana 14 in Naperville

Wheaton 63, North Park 0 at Foster and Kedzie

Millikin 30, Carroll 7 in Waukesha

-----

Next week: 🔮

Carthage at Millikin
Illinois Wesleyan at Elmhurst
North Central at Carroll
North Park at Augustana
Wash U at Wheaton

Augie6

Today's game showed how far Augie still has to go to be considered a "good team" in the CCIW.  They were thoroughly dominated in all phases of the game by NCC today.  Both the D and O lines were pretty much man-handled all afternoon.  Something that has been an issue for many seasons now and was very evident today, was Augie's lack of team speed and athleticism.  Simply put, there is no way that Augie will be able to compete for CCIW championships until this is addressed from a recruiting standpoint.  This year will probably end up being a small step forward from where the program has been over the past decade, but with 16 senior starters with a lot of game experience, I certainly expected better from Augie today.  Not that I thought they would beat NCC, but I, at least, thought they would compete.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen.   I imagine they will handle NPU next week, but the Wheaton game in two weeks could be really ugly. 

Even if they manage to win 5 or 6 games this season (which would be the high water mark of the Bell era), with the starting experience they will lose going into next season, I anticipate that they will struggle to improve on that record moving forward. I'm sure they are good kids and they play hard, but the talent is just not there. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

izzy stradlin

Missed the Wheaton NPU game today.   Saw Swider mention a few key injuries that were "hard to swallow".    Sounds like season-ending and he was pretty down.   Anyone at the game have more info?   Greg?