FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warthog

Quote from: Old Spent Knight on October 23, 2014, 03:01:19 PM
This is the best Wartburg team I have seen. That offense is just crazy explosive, and the defends seems to feed off of their energy. I really think they have a shot to make a deep run.

These kids are good, but I'm still saying the 1999 and 2003 regular season undefeated teams were better.
BE ORANGE

Stom12

Game 5 of conference play

Coe (2-2) v Luther (1-3) should be a very close game. I'll take Luther in this one.

Central (3-1) should handle Simpson (0-4) fairly easily this week.

I'll take Dubuque (1-3) over Loras (1-3).

Then, what it could come down to the conference champion:

Buena Vista (4-0) hosts Wartburg (4-0), as the top offense in the conference goes against the top defense in the conference. This should be an interesting one. Thoughts?

TheOne89.1

Quote from: warthog on October 25, 2014, 10:56:02 PM
Quote from: Old Spent Knight on October 23, 2014, 03:01:19 PM
This is the best Wartburg team I have seen. That offense is just crazy explosive, and the defends seems to feed off of their energy. I really think they have a shot to make a deep run.

These kids are good, but I'm still saying the 1999 and 2003 regular season undefeated teams were better.

Before Saturday I was saying the same thing (of course a bit biased with the 2003 team).  If you look at the stats after the first 7 games; 2003 (289 points scored 67 points allowed) 2014 (288 points scored 58 points allowed).

From the limited times I have seen this team play in person, the game Saturday against Luther was probably the most complete.  Solid offense, great defense and special teams (each scoring for the first time this year).  While this year's team is closer to being as good as '99 and '03, there are still lots of games left plus we will have to see how they perform in the post season.
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms" -MIKE DITKA

doolittledog

Quote from: Stom12 on October 27, 2014, 10:47:01 AM
Game 5 of conference play

Coe (2-2) v Luther (1-3) should be a very close game. I'll take Luther in this one.

Central (3-1) should handle Simpson (0-4) fairly easily this week.

I'll take Dubuque (1-3) over Loras (1-3).

Then, what it could come down to the conference champion:

Buena Vista (4-0) hosts Wartburg (4-0), as the top offense in the conference goes against the top defense in the conference. This should be an interesting one. Thoughts?

Buena Vista has quietly won 8 straight conference games.  I think the BVU offense can put up a few more points on Wartburg than the rest of the conference has been able to.  But the Storm defense, from what I've seen, won't be able to slow down the Wartburg offense.  Wartburg should win this, pulling away late. 

Coe, Central, and Dubuque after that.  I think whatever momentum Luther had is shot now.  Central is getting stronger as the year wears on.  Dubuque had better beat Loras  >:(
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

notlongago

IMHO BV is going to get blown out by Wartburg. They've yet to play any of the top teams in the conference, yet their record could easily be reversed. I guess a 48-17 type of game.

Stom12

They've had at least a 14 point lead in the 4th in almost all of those games and I'd consider Dubuque to be one of the top teams in the conference despite their record after 4 conference games, they could easily win out. BV Wartburg will be closer than most imagine, last year I saw was a 29-37 game, with it being 21-24 after 3. While Wartburg has clearly improved since then, so has BV. I guess I'm just hoping for a close, competitive, fun game with a great offense going against a great defense.

Willie University

I have thought about the BV-Wartburg game and have mixed feelings. I don't think BV is close to as complete a team as wartburg is.

However, with the perfect "storm"  ;D and playing at home in what could be the biggest game in BV's recent history, they may keep it closer then anyone would expect.

And Wartburg has been known to get tripped up about this time of the year in past seasons. I don't think it's likely but anything is possible.

Stom12

Pretty interesting/cool for the IIAC, BVU's QB Bobby Brown and RB Dylan Barrett are one of two QB/RB units who have thrown for 2,000 and ran for a 1,000 this far this season

Phred

Picks

Simpson at Central. Grudge match.  DUTCH should win but not by much.

UD at Loras.  Thought UD was going to be a contender but the defense falls flat on their face too much.  Still Loras will be short on the board.  UD

Coe at Luther.  Out on a limb......Luther defense toughens up and backs smear up with "stick'em on their fingers......Luther.

Warts at BV.  Knights are the better team.......but their mid-season HEX strikes.  Bobby Brown embarrasses Warts.  BV
He who laughs last.......thinks slowest

notlongago

Quote from: Stom12 on October 27, 2014, 11:18:41 PM
They've had at least a 14 point lead in the 4th in almost all of those games and I'd consider Dubuque to be one of the top teams in the conference despite their record after 4 conference games, they could easily win out. BV Wartburg will be closer than most imagine, last year I saw was a 29-37 game, with it being 21-24 after 3. While Wartburg has clearly improved since then, so has BV. I guess I'm just hoping for a close, competitive, fun game with a great offense going against a great defense.

Going to have to disagree with on DBQ. If they somehow win out they will have a conference record of 4-3 which I consider to be the definition of mediocrity given a 7 game schedule.

Stom12

Notlongago, I have to agree with you and go back on what I previously said. I agree 4-3 is a mediocre season definitely and that's what they had the previous two seasons and very well be what they could end with once again. They have the talent to excel in the conference but can't seem to get it going.

bluenote

I dont' know much about Buena Vista ....but I'm pretty sure Wartburg will be victorious. 48- 14.

hazzben

Come one, come all!

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 28, 2014, 04:30:42 PM
Looks like we're the last region to get one of these started up. So, I'll be happy to organize one if we can get at least 10 reliable voters. We can use D3football.com's West Region team list as eligible teams to consider. I'm hoping to get two or three people from each conference to participate, if possible. With no more than one representative/fan from each school.....just to have a fair and unbiased poll as possible. Since we're halfway through this season already, I will probably won't start until the 2015 season.

This could be fun, considering (as we all know) the West is where the power conferences in DIII reside  :P  ;)

So if you're fan of a West region team (MIAC, WIAC, MWC, IIAC, SCIAC, UMAC, or NWC) and interested in doing this next year, you can send me a message or sign up here:

1. 02 Warhawk (UWW - WIAC)
2. Hazzben (Bethel - MIAC)
3. MasterJedi (UWW - WIAC)

Head over the West Region Fan Poll thread and sign up if you're interested. But not too many Loras posters...we don't want them to stuff the ballot boxes  ;)

warthog

My ears on the ground in NW Iowa tell me that the BV Beavers are confident they can score on the Wartburg defense at will.  Along with an offense they are confident in, they are boasting of a much stronger schedule than that faced by Wartburg. 

I'm a little skeptical of that last statement concerning the schedule. I'm sure our friends at Bethel might also agree with me.

It looks like the Beavers have been scoring lots of points in IIAC competition.  Apparently there is a discussion out there that Wartburg won't be able to stop a two pronged running and passing attack.  It seems they feel the Knight d-backs are a little soft if the d-line has to stay at home and play the run rather than just going balls to the wall on pass rush.  I'm not enough of a football analyst to know if this claim holds water or not.  I guess what I have seen is a good all around Knight defense.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

Buena Vista players and fans are boasting around Storm Lake that this is the best team Wartburg has faced all season.  They only wish they had played earlier in the season before Wartburg found out how good they are.  My nephew's uncle (on his mother's side) says the talk on campus says the Beavers will be able to lay 40 points on the Knights and win by two touchdowns. Now I am getting that info second hand, it could be some big mouths doing some pre-game postering, but the old geezers down at the coffee shop are telling my father-in-law that BV will win by a touchdown.  He does inform me that no one has offered to bet a breakfast on those numbers.

I guess will just have to see how things shake out on Saturday.
BE ORANGE

Fannosaurus Rex

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on October 11, 2013, 11:09:51 PM
Dullest Central Simpson week ever.
History repeats.  At least I like Central's chances a whole lot better this year and I would rather see the team win the football game than have me get off the most insulting joke of the week.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard