MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

I see the semi-finals got postponed for tomorrow night due to the snow. AO (or any other UMAC lurkers), what are you expecting for the semis tomorrow and finals later in the week? Can your Eagles defend home court?

AO

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 20, 2019, 05:18:14 PM
I see the semi-finals got postponed for tomorrow night due to the snow. AO (or any other UMAC lurkers), what are you expecting for the semis-tonight and finals later in the week? Can your Eagles defend home court?
Maybe the snow won't stop and they'll just have to cancel the tournament and give us the AQ?   ;D We've won 13 in a row, but the final four teams are all talented and capable of winning tough games on the road.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Can't remember who you root for, AO, but if the tourney was canceled ... the regular season champ would get the AQ. That's usually the back-up plan for all conferences.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AO

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 20, 2019, 11:21:16 PM
Can't remember who you root for, AO, but if the tourney was canceled ... the regular season champ would get the AQ. That's usually the back-up plan for all conferences.
Northwestern.  The Roads look much better today.  Game On!

Smitty Oom

AO, do you have a scouting report for the eagles? Excited to watch them tomorrow and want a little pre-game knowledge for the game. Haven't been able to watch much UMAC this year, just vox score watching.

AO

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 28, 2019, 06:20:04 PM
AO, do you have a scouting report for the eagles? Excited to watch them tomorrow and want a little pre-game knowledge for the game. Haven't been able to watch much UMAC this year, just vox score watching.
8 different players have led us in scoring this year.  They can all shoot the 3.  I'm sure we'll probably bring a lot of help if Walford posts up.  We're definitely more comfortable playing high tempo this year, taking the first good look.  One of the more surprising things from Saturday's UMAC championship against Scholastica was the foul trouble we had,  we only average 14 fouls a game.  Should be a fun one tonight!

Bspratt2

AO,
Congrats to your Eagles tonight. From my interactions you have a classy program and earned the W. The Eagles played fast, loose, and confident, and seemed primed for the upset from the drop. My Johnnies played tight and just off their game all night. That's not an excuse by any means, and it's an absolute credit to the players and fans. Who was the home team tonight? Anyway, best of luck tomorrow against UWO, I will be cheering for you. From what I saw in the earlier game, UWO is just on a different level with their length and athleticism, but I certainly hope it's a good game. Congrats Eagles!
From,
A humbled Johnnie

AO

Quote from: Bspratt2 on March 01, 2019, 11:51:26 PM
AO,
Congrats to your Eagles tonight. From my interactions you have a classy program and earned the W. The Eagles played fast, loose, and confident, and seemed primed for the upset from the drop. My Johnnies played tight and just off their game all night. That's not an excuse by any means, and it's an absolute credit to the players and fans. Who was the home team tonight? Anyway, best of luck tomorrow against UWO, I will be cheering for you. From what I saw in the earlier game, UWO is just on a different level with their length and athleticism, but I certainly hope it's a good game. Congrats Eagles!
From,
A humbled Johnnie
Thanks for the kind words.   Sometimes the shots just drop, but I still spent most of the 2nd half terrified that Stokman was going to heat up.  Losing Walford to some questionable calls was also tough for the Johnnies.  I hope we don't have to see you in the playoffs next year, there's a ton of talent coming back.  I'm much happier just playing our annual scrimmage.

As for Oshkosh they looked really good in the 10 minutes I saw.  I can see why people are picking them over Nebraska Wesleyan.  We'll definitely be missing our UMAC tourney MVP Brady Peterson tomorrow.   He suffered a knee injury that required surgery against Scholastica but was still able to finish that game somehow.  If we beat the Titans they might have to immediately update the greatest upsets of all time.

Pat Coleman

That feature is first round upsets but that hypothetical win would definitely belong on a list somewhere!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Baldini

2019-20 UMAC Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll

1. Bethany Lutheran - 62 points (6 First Place Votes)
2. Northwestern - 59 points (3 First Place Vote)
3. St. Scholastica - 49 points
4. Crown - 44 points
5. Wisconsin-Superior - 33 points
T6. Minnesota Morris - 22 points
T6. Northland - 22 points
8. North Central - 20 points
9. Martin Luther - 13 points

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Baldini on October 30, 2019, 02:29:43 PM

4. Crown - 44 points

Some pretty big gaps there. 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Baldini

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 30, 2019, 04:21:34 PM
Quote from: Baldini on October 30, 2019, 02:29:43 PM

4. Crown - 44 points

Some pretty big gaps there. 4 to 5 and then 5 to 6.

Bethany Lutheran has build a nice little program there in Mankato. I haven't looked at any other rosters yet, but BLC returns Cire Mayfield and Trenton Krueger who were their leading scorer a year ago. HC Matt Fletcher has some strong ties in AAU and youth programs in Minnesota and seems to keep adding talent every year. They missed the tournament last year, but don't forget 2 seasons ago they knocked off St. John's in their house in the tournament.     

Baldini

Northwestern and North Central host NACC foes MSOE and Wisconsin Lutheran in a pair of games each. Northwestern plays MSOE tonight in a matchup of conference winners from last season and plays Wisconsin Lutheran on Saturday. North Central is vice versa.

Bethany Lutheran hosts what should be one of the better team in the ARC this season in Simpson. Should be an excellent game.

St. Scholastica hosts UW-EC in what is probably a very stiff challenge out of the gate.

Crown hosts Bethel tomorrow. Player of the year Tim Wendel returns for Crown, interested to see how much help he has this season. Tough game to start the season.

Wisconsin-Superior is hosting a tournament this weekend and plays Marian tonight, the other game is St. John's and Nebraska Wesleyan. Wisconsin-Superior will play one of those two on Saturday.

Minnesota-Morris visits Concordia-Moorhead tonight.

Northland is on the road for two, playing Macalester tonight and Bemidji State tomorrow.

Martin Luther doesn't open until next weekend.

Just a little 'dull' rundown of the UMAC weekend games. No conversation here like what is going on at the MIAC football board where those sophisticated renaissance gentlemen are having deep conversations about,
Beer
Fishing- Ice, Lake, River (also known as fly fishing)
Movie Trivia
Presidential assassins of the 19th & 20th century
Murderous dictators
Religious cult leaders
UST students daddy's cars
UST female students low moral standards
Soybean & corn harvest in Minnesota & central Iowa
Hair Bands of the 80's
Tailgating
Fruitcake
Homemade beer, wine, cider, moonshine
And many more that they just can't think of currently.

Greek Tragedy

LOL. Obviously all important topics.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!