MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: doolittledog on February 20, 2019, 12:45:52 PM
The number 1 ranked team in the nation could easily beat any number of teams 3 times in a season.  For 2 teams closer in strength to each other, I think you can argue it's unlikely for 1 team to get 3 straight wins against another.  Especially when you take in home court, rivalry factors and what not.

Yes, but none of that is even implied in your original quote. You simply uttered the cliché with no qualfiers, such as the teams that are playing a third time being "closer in strength to each other" or such other additional elements as home court or a rivalry situation.

Quote from: doolittledog on February 20, 2019, 12:45:52 PMThis is the ARC page, those on here will understand Dubuque/Wartburg or Dubuque/Loras is different than talking a top ranked team against a team at the bottom of the conference.

Like I said, you're adding context now where you had provided none in your original statement.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

duckfan41

Loras with a complete domination of Dubuque last night in one of the ARC Tourney semi-finals. The only time this game was tied was when it was 0-0, and once Loras scored less than a minute into the game, they never looked back.

Will McClaughry erupted in the first half for 17 points on 6-7 shooting, but finished with 17 for the game. Josh Ruggles led the way with 23 points, followed by McClaughry's 17, and rounded out by DiCanio and George finishing with 13. As the Loras writeup stated plainly in the headline, "Third Time the Charm." It was only a matter of time before Loras figured things out against their crosstown rivals, and that time came almost immediately from the start of the game last night (scoring 40 seconds in).

The Duhawk win sets up a much anticipated round three with defending champ Nebraska Wesleyan in Lincoln. Nebraska Wesleyan squeaked passed Simpson in the other semi-final 85-80. Both teams should be ready to play, as they really don't like each other and each can have the other's number on any given night. 

Schipper Strong

Congratulations to Loras and NWU for making the post season and the success they had. Granted NWU would have liked a repeat, but all the same, it was good to see two teams both make it past the first round and Loras made a nice run. Thanks to all of the seniors from all of the team's for a great year.

Smitty Oom

I dont know if there is anyone here, but I posted this in the MIAC thread. My condolences to Jaran Sabus and the Knights. I think you got snubbed, by whomever dropped the ball in not getting you nominated for All-Region.

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 11, 2019, 09:09:32 PM
This was my projected All-Region teams...
Quote from: Smitty Oom in the All-American Thread
   Player of the Year   Booker Coplin    Augsburg
   Coach of the Year   John Tauer   St. Thomas
   Freshman of the Year   Anders Nelson   St. Thomas

FIRST TEAM     
   PLAYER   TEAM   YEAR
G   Austin Butler   Whitman   Sr
G   Ryan Garver   Nebraska Wesleyan   Sr
G   Ryan DiCanio   Loras   Sr
F   Daniel Rosenbaum   Pomona Pitzer   Sr
F   Booker Coplin   Augsburg   Jr

SECOND TEAM     
   PLAYER   TEAM   YEAR
G   Kyle Roach   Whitworth   Sr
G   Jaran Sabus   Wartburg   Sr
G   Josh Ruggles    Loras   Sr
F   Tim Wendell   Crown   Jr
F   Cooper Cook   Nebraska Wesleyan   Sr

THIRD TEAM     
   PLAYER   TEAM   YEAR
G   David Stokman   St. John's   Sr
G   Joey Hewitt   Whitman   Sr
G   Ben College   Whitworth   Jr
F   Zach Baines   Occidental   Sr
F   Austin DeWitz   Occidental   Sr

I think they got the first team right. Those 5 were pretty clearly the top choices. Roach and Cooper Cook were locks for the second team and from there I had a tougher time determining a handful of players for those last 3 spots on the second team. No qualms about having Hewitt, Baines and College bumped up a team.

I think the biggest snub was senior Jaran Sabus of Wartburg. He scored 21 ppg/6 reb/4.4 ast while shooting over 50% from the field while leading a very good Wartburg team that finished 3rd in a tough ARC with a 17-9 record and was flirting with that 8th spot in regional rankings all of Feb. Not only are his counting stats better than Kent Hanson's, but his team was much better.

rlgyank

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 11, 2019, 09:16:44 PM
I dont know if there is anyone here, but I posted this in the MIAC thread. My condolences to Jaran Sabus and the Knights. I think you got snubbed, by whomever dropped the ball in not getting you nominated for All-Region.

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 11, 2019, 09:09:32 PM
This was my projected All-Region teams...
Quote from: Smitty Oom in the All-American Thread
   Player of the Year   Booker Coplin    Augsburg
   Coach of the Year   John Tauer   St. Thomas
   Freshman of the Year   Anders Nelson   St. Thomas

FIRST TEAM     
   PLAYER   TEAM   YEAR
G   Austin Butler   Whitman   Sr
G   Ryan Garver   Nebraska Wesleyan   Sr
G   Ryan DiCanio   Loras   Sr
F   Daniel Rosenbaum   Pomona Pitzer   Sr
F   Booker Coplin   Augsburg   Jr

SECOND TEAM     
   PLAYER   TEAM   YEAR
G   Kyle Roach   Whitworth   Sr
G   Jaran Sabus   Wartburg   Sr
G   Josh Ruggles    Loras   Sr
F   Tim Wendell   Crown   Jr
F   Cooper Cook   Nebraska Wesleyan   Sr

THIRD TEAM     
   PLAYER   TEAM   YEAR
G   David Stokman   St. John's   Sr
G   Joey Hewitt   Whitman   Sr
G   Ben College   Whitworth   Jr
F   Zach Baines   Occidental   Sr
F   Austin DeWitz   Occidental   Sr

I think they got the first team right. Those 5 were pretty clearly the top choices. Roach and Cooper Cook were locks for the second team and from there I had a tougher time determining a handful of players for those last 3 spots on the second team. No qualms about having Hewitt, Baines and College bumped up a team.

I think the biggest snub was senior Jaran Sabus of Wartburg. He scored 21 ppg/6 reb/4.4 ast while shooting over 50% from the field while leading a very good Wartburg team that finished 3rd in a tough ARC with a 17-9 record and was flirting with that 8th spot in regional rankings all of Feb. Not only are his counting stats better than Kent Hanson's, but his team was much better.

I agree with you, Jaren Sabus was certainly deserving.  I would also throw in Conor Riordan from Simpson and Nate Schimonitz of NWU as deserving players. I don't know how they compare to the other players, but they were certainly very good.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 12, 2019, 06:23:57 AM

The West was loaded this year.

Will it continue to be loaded? NWU loses Garver and Cook, but do return everyone else. Loras loses their top 3, Wartburg loses Sabus and two other starters. Whitman loses four starters, Hewitt, Butler, Stewart and Jacob-Jones, among others. Whitworth loses three starters.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Smitty Oom

In addition to what Greek said, MIAC should be pretty solid next year:

UST brings back a lot, but do lose some senior starters in Bair and role players defensive stopper GT Johnson and shooter Michael Hannon.
SJU loses Stokman, but return just about everyone else.
Augsburg should be in consideration for regional rankings next year, returning Coplin.

ARC overall gets pretty decimated by graduation. I expect NWU to stay atop the league but probably will not be nearly as dominant as they were these last two years.

Gregory Sager

Actually, I think that the Prairie Wolves will be more dominant. Loras and Wartburg lose proportionally more production than NebWes does.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

While Whitman loss four starters, they still have a wealth of experience and talent coming back. Whitworth does as well. The rest of the NWC is improving. I suspect the West - for it's last year of existence in it's current form - will be a bear.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 20, 2019, 01:57:56 PM
While Whitman loss four starters, they still have a wealth of experience and talent coming back. Whitworth does as well. The rest of the NWC is improving. I suspect the West - for it's last year of existence in it's current form - will be a bear.

I'm not sure the Whitman defense will ever be as good as it was with Butler and Hewitt running interference, but they have plenty of guys coming back who've played big minutes.  I suspect they'll just get 5 or 6 more minutes per game next year.  They've still got two or three guys who've been all-conference first team selections in the past.  Kind of crazy.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

dunkin3117

Yes, Loras losses some key pieces in DiCanio, Ruggles, and George.  However, they return McGowen, who was an all-conference performer as a freshman and has started a large majority of games in his 2 years with the Duhawks.  They will also return sophmore Cole Navigato who started late in the season, as well as freshman Jordan Boyd (honorable mention) and Jordan Matthews.  The Duhawks will certainly look different, but I wouldn't anticipate anything less than a top 2 finish in league play and serious contention for another NCAA tournament run. 

Greek Tragedy

Who are the prime candidates to take over for Garver and Cook in the starting lineup at NWU? Any big transfers coming in?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!