BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

If he hasn't been already.

This is a big chance for Matt. He's pitched very well since going back to AAA and in the words of Division III product ($1 to Pat, learned that from him last time around) and Yankees GM Brian Cashman "you have to earn it. He's pitched the best" of their younger guys.

The Yankees staff beyond Wang and Pettitte is a mess right now. Clemens doesn't have a win after the all-star break, Philip Hughes is on a rehab assignment, Mike Mussina has been awful after the all-star break. Ian Kennedy has 2 career starts and might be their #3 playoff starter right now.

If DeSalvo can perform down the stretch, he might very well find himself on the playoff roster.

Knightstalker

Spence, Hughes has been starting for the Yankees for several weeks now and pitched well last night getting the win.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Spence

Yeah he got his first win in a month. I guess I was just hoping he was hurt lol.

Apparently the Yankees recalled several guys, that wasn't part of the first story I read.

Still, the opportunity is there if not as a starter as a long reliever.

old scot

1/5/08 Altanta Braves sign Matt Desalvo to a AAA contract. Good luck, hope to see you at Turner Field soon.

mideastfan

Matt should be in competition for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation, or possibly a bullpen position.  I'm glad he got to the Bigs last year with the Yanks, but getting away from New York is probably best, with the way they trade away younger talent and go after free agent pitching.  Atlanta should be a great opportunity!

Spence

Quote from: mideastfan on January 26, 2008, 08:01:39 AM
Matt should be in competition for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation, or possibly a bullpen position.  I'm glad he got to the Bigs last year with the Yanks, but getting away from New York is probably best, with the way they trade away younger talent and go after free agent pitching.  Atlanta should be a great opportunity!

Unfortunately, Atlanta's trying to go back to the future as well, re-signing Glavine and Hampton. I don't expect that to go particularly well, but obviously they're going to be the guys. I think #5 is the only spot that's open there, or long relief.

OshDude

Quote from: Spence on January 26, 2008, 04:44:51 PM

Unfortunately, Atlanta's trying to go back to the future as well, re-signing Glavine and Hampton. I don't expect that to go particularly well, but obviously they're going to be the guys. I think #5 is the only spot that's open there, or long relief.

His line in yesterday's game didn't help his cause of even making the team. Not the best first impression.

1.1 IP, 2 H, 5 BB, 4 ER, 0 K, BS, L

Spence

Quote from: OshDude on February 29, 2008, 05:37:21 PM
Quote from: Spence on January 26, 2008, 04:44:51 PM

His line in yesterday's game didn't help his cause of even making the team. Not the best first impression.

1.1 IP, 2 H, 5 BB, 4 ER, 0 K, BS, L

That seems like an accurate assessment.

Just Bill

Very cool news item on former UW-Stevens Point pitcher Jordan Zimmerman who is with the Nationals' High-Class A team:

The Nationals believe that right-hander Shawn Hill and lefty John Lannan are keepers in their rotation, and they could add two more potential building blocks if Class AAA righty Collin Balester arrives at the All-Star break and Class A righty Jordan Zimmermann by September. After that, the Nats could bid for younger free agents who would fit their building program. Dunn, 28, Indians left-hander C.C. Sabathia, 27, Brewers righty Ben Sheets, 29, and Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal, 30, would qualify. ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8086082/Trade-market-getting-ready-to-open-for-business
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

szlongball

Zimmerman to report to AA Harrisburg on Monday--he is on his way, and could very well be in the big league by September.

chakote

Quote from: szlongball on May 04, 2008, 12:39:34 AM
Zimmerman to report to AA Harrisburg on Monday--he is on his way, and could very well be in the big league by September.
WOW very cool!! very cool indeed. This kid has a chance to big, I have been following him since the write up on him last year and being able to see him pitch in the WS this is a kid that really does have what it takes to go big 8)
Success is not fatal; Failure is not final; but the courage to continue is what counts!!!
(Churchill)

WLCALUM83

Here's the link that provides Zimmemann's  info on his first start for Harrisburg last night:

http://www.senatorsbaseball.com/2008scores/hbg5060.html

ShineTime

Can Point borrow him for the WIAC tournament this weekend?

Ralph Turner

Here is the message board to post links, updates, progress reports, etc. on former D3 players as they head towards the major leagues.

Gustie13

St Olaf's Andrew Schmiesing is in the MN Twins farm system with the GCL Twins (Rookie) managed by former USt Tommie Jake Mauer. Unfortunately, he's the oldest member on a Rookie League team.