MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UniqueNewYork

Picks for 1/17/09

F & M  (Need Scovill and Baker to step up for Dips to win a tough road game)
Gettysburg (Bullets take advantage of road-weary and wounded Bears)
McDaniel (Green Terror are starting to roll)
John Hopkins (Swat is going to struggle to win a conference game)
Washington (Dickinson is feeling too good after their win over Ursinus, will not play well after a long drive to Chestertown)

diplomaniac1

Fellow Centennial Fans -

Here are my selections for the 1/17 Pick-Ems:

F&M @ Muhlenberg:   F&M. (Dips win a close one due to their athleticism with Brooks returning to form. This will tell us alot about the Dips and how good they can be if they are able to win in a place where they hardly ever win!)

Ursinus @ Gettysburg:   Gettysburg. (Due to Bear injuries, the Bullets may finally get the monkey off of their back. Also home court advantage.)

Haverford @ McDaniel:  McDaniel. (Still can't be sure about the Fords. Besides, the Terror is pretty good at home.)

Swarthmore @ Johns Hopkins:  Johns Hopins. (Another long season for Swat! Nothing more to say here except that I don't know how the Garnet's coach has kept his job all these years!)

Dickinson @ Washington:   Dickinson. (I am out on limb here again with the Devils. However, they may have too much height for the Shoremen. Perhaps, the Devils are finally turning the corner and realizing their potential?)

Enjoy the games! Good luck to all. Maybe those of us prognosticators who are going to the "Mule Barn" should meet and say hello to each other at halftime? Please advise.

Travel safely. Regards,

Eric

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: D.B. Cooper on January 15, 2009, 10:11:51 PM
Overall Dips are a year ahead of schedule. I would have taken a split on this 4 game punishing road trip at the start of the season, this is now guaranteed. If Dips can go into Memorial cave (Hall) & use Night-vision gear could they actually upset Mules in Allentown? So many Dip teams have run aground there to blemish a season. I think this was the site of the 1996 FF squads only regular season loss.
Most exciting of all is I may be able to get there this Saturday and see for myself if Dips are coming of age enough to win in the OK Corral.

I also would have taken a split on this road trip before the season.  But when they jumped out to an 11-0 record, I wanted a 3-1 trip.  Unfortunately, I don't think the Mules will let it happen.

Memorial Hall has been one big landmine for F&M.  Aside from the '96 loss D.B. already mentioned (when the Dips were 19-0), the '95 team took a 25-0 record to Allentown for the CC title game and suffered a heartbreaking defeat.  So, two straight years the Mules upset highly ranked and undefeated F&M teams in the Dungeon.  This is not to mention the many losses suffered by unranked F&M teams in Allentown in recent years.

r.w. mcnickels

1/17 picks:

Muhlenberg
Gettysburg
McDaniel
Johns Hopkins
Dickinson

I don't think Dickinson will get swept by Washington.  Gettysburg finally gets past the reeling Bears.

If the Dips had trouble with McKay in Westminster, how can they stop Barnes and Liddic?  I think James McNally will end up being one of F&M's best post men of all time, but his defense needs to improve.  If the Mules use the trapping defense they used toward the end of the game in Lancaster, it could be a long day for the Dips.

BRCE4

Diplomaniac
     The Swarthmore Coach is a very good coach they are just undermanned year in and year out. While all of the conference schools have relatively high admissions criteria, Swat gets no help from admissions and loses recruits that other centennial schools can get. The question shouldn't be how he keeps his job but why would he want to given the obstacles to success. But he can coach, they run good stuff and always play hard.

old ends

Brce4

I will agree with you about Swarthmore. All Centennial Conference teams in all sports are limited. I have meet with all of the Presidents,over the years, and even though they hear the coach's complaints, academics comes first. Then when they get a super student and super athlete, the money issue comes up. Grant money is drying up. Government loans are getting harder and harder and some schools are limiting those also.

But that is the way it is not only for Centennial, but most of all the DIV III Colleges and Univ. as Pat stated.

old ends

A triple double for Remy Cousart against Swarthmore on the 13th.

here are the stats
HOME TEAM: Ursinus 7-5, 3-2 CC
                                      TOT-FG  3-PT              REBOUNDS
## Player Name            FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF  TP  A TO BLK S MIN
10 Keith Page.......... f      4-10    0-1        0-0     2   3    5    2   8   1  2    2  1  18
23 Matt Howell......... f      6-10   0-0         1-2    0    2    2   1  13   0  1   2  1  15
03 Remy Cousart........ g    6-8    2-3         0-1    1   10  11    1  14  11   2   0  2     24

Nice game

Gabriel

Quote from: BRCE4 on January 16, 2009, 09:36:13 PM
Diplomaniac
     The Swarthmore Coach is a very good coach they are just undermanned year in and year out. While all of the conference schools have relatively high admissions criteria, Swat gets no help from admissions and loses recruits that other centennial schools can get. The question shouldn't be how he keeps his job but why would he want to given the obstacles to success. But he can coach, they run good stuff and always play hard.

BRCE4

I agree with you, however, Swarthmore should have been better last year with McCormick and the other talent they had.  I fault the coach for that.  Basketball is not on the front burner for most of these college Presidents and academic standards remain high-----as they should.  I mentioned before that Ursinus did not have a full time basketball coach until about three years ago.  They still do not have a full time paid assistant coach---- since Joe Rulewich moved on. 

As an indicator of where basketball stood in the sports hierarchy at Ursinus;  in 2003; the Bears had, arguably, their best team to date----including Luciano, Erfle, Stanton and McGarvey in the starting line up.  They won the conference undefeated and were ranked first in the region but could not host because the AD had failed to file the necessary "hosting" paperwork.  They had to play at Scranton in a very hostile environment and lost a very close game.  That is an indicator of the status of basketball, or sports in general, at some of these institutions.

Regarding the rules on first practices, it is my understanding that practice can start on October 15 but the first week must be without basketballs. Make sense?  Not to me but then, I prefer basketball with basketballs.

BRCE4

Gabriel
     Thanks for reminding us of the first week of practice is without basketballs. Can somebody please explain that concept to me. If you are going to be in the gym then what purpose is served by no basketballs. If you want to start a week later for academic reasons then start a week later but nothing is gained by this rather foolish rule.

old ends

At the half

F & M  32    Muhlenberg  30
Ursinus 33  Gettysburg 31

Other games have not started

old ends

WOW --- F & M wins by 1
F & M 60    Muhlenberg 59

old ends

Gettysburg 73    Ursinus 68

Powers 28pts  Dorsey 26 pts for Gettysburg
Noonan 22pts  Cousart 15 pts for Ursinus