MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patcummings

McGarvey and Coach Small said it best on the post-game today...5 seniors who've never won an NCAA playoff game.

"Let's go win a few"

Reserved Seat

Ursinus will represent the Centennial Conference in the NCAA Tournament very well.

I hope.  It's embarrassing each year when the Centennial Conference representative loses in the first round.

swish

Reserved Seat-No need to be embarrassed. All you have to do is go back two years ago to see F&M made it to the "Elite Eight".
Ursinus will represent just fine.

Leo

Ursinus will play SUNY-Farmingdale in first round at Ursinus.

Reserved Seat

Swish-how far do you have to go back to find a team other than F&M that advanced more than one game?

D.B. Cooper

RS: JHU beat FDU by 40 in the 1st round in '98. Lets not forget F&M's trips to FF in '00 & '96 (plus '79 & '91 title game appearance & Washington College went to FF in '90 though all pre-CC it just shows CC teams have a fine history of advancing deep into NCAA's). I think Ursinus should beat Farmingdale & get the NCAA hex off their back & I believe they have a reasonable chance to bushwack VWC with so many experienced seniors including McGarvey. Now if they had to play at Lincoln that's where I think they could have serious problems, but if they don't have to play @ Lincoln they would have some chance to get to the E8.

D.B. Cooper

I wouldn't want to forget to mention that Ursinus went to FF themselves in '81 so they have their own tradition, though not recent.  Behind a 6'9" shot-blocker named Broderick they beat a great F&M team in the tournament after losing to Dips in regular season. I remember that game like it was yesterday as Dip legends Westley, Al Taylor & Donny Anderson solidly outscored Bears from field but UC went something like 38 of 41 from the charity stripe at Mayser (while Dips were something like 6 of 8 :-\ ).

bearsfan1

Looking at matchups, UC has a very good chance of making some noise in this bracket.  I do believe they get the monkey off their back by beating SUNY-Farmingdale.  Then if they do surprise Va. Wesleyan and Lincoln would get upset prior at home, there is no reason to think that a rematch of UC and York(Pa.) could be out of the question.  UC played well against York earlier in the year and whats to say a little magic can't happen for this years senior class.

cc_fan

McEvily and Jenkins both had good games for Ursinus.  They really stepped up especially on the defensive end.

Hopkins will be tough next year as their three main players will be back.

Knightstalker

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

bearsfan1

Did I read the ECAC selections correctly, there are no CC teams in the tournament?

gordonmann

That is correct.

But that may not be because they weren't selected.  Some times schools declare and decide not to play in the tournament.

bearsfan1

I figured that was the case because I can't see Hopkins or even Gettysburg being denied a bid to the ECAC tourney.  I was just wondering how many people think UC has a chance at winning more than one game.

Reserved Seat

ECAC picks
No. 1 Keystone College (22-5)
No. 2 Pitt-Greensburg (16-9)
No. 3 Penn State-Behrend  (19-7)
No. 4 DeSales (16-9)
No. 5 Albright  (16-9)
No. 6 Wesley (16-9)

Johns Hopkins(18-8)5-3 out of league
Gettysburg(16-10)4-4 out of league
Hard to judge who deserved a bid without comparing records. 

I can believe JH declared not to play, but not Gettysburg.

I hope Ursinus can win more than one to represent the Centennial Conference well, but beating Virginia Wesleyan may be difficult.  Good luck, Bears.

patcummings

Ursinus can be a bit streaky...if they shoot well, they should win.

Fundamentally, they are better than Farmingdale.  But they were against NYCCT last year and shot horribly.  McGarvey didn't have a great day either. 

That being said, Farmingdale doesn't have a Shacun Malave like NYCCT did...but they can shoot lights out from beyond the arc.

I'll be joined by Gordon Mann for the audio from Helffreich Hall Thursday night.  Hope you can tune in if not at Ursinus...