MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy

Quote from: maroonandgold on February 23, 2013, 10:29:17 AM
http://hornets.kzoo.edu/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20130219s73h3j

Kind of a big deal, congrats to Mark.

Not only are congratulations due to him, but after looking at the MIAA statistical leaders sheet at the game on Thursday, I could see a lot of reasons to select him as MVP.  Sure, his team was third from last in the league; but where would they have been without him?  Did any other player have enough of an impact to improve their team's standing by 2 in the standing?  He almost certainly did.  I know the tradition is to select from the winning team.  But if the award means what it says it means he has a strong case in his favor.

I've always been one to strongly consider the "valuable" part of the award title but I still disagree that "if the award means what it says it means he has a strong case in his favor."

We're not talking about a Michael McClary who made an average to poor team into a threat or a Brandon Crawford who dominated as part of a very good team.

I was thinking the other day that the way the tournament is now restricted to the top four teams, I feel like the MVP just about has to come from one of those four. I find it hard to argue a player's value being "most valuable" when his team still didn't qualify for the conference tournament with him. Ultimately they got to the same place with him that they would have without him.

Honestly, I don't think there is a true MVP this year. Calvin finished two places better than where they were voted in the preseason coaches poll but there wasn't any single player responsible for that. I think the coaches simply underrated Calvin. And in the end, the four teams expected to be in the top four were in the top four.

hoopdreams

wow..love it.  Not sure where "the shake" originated or why but I laugh at nearly every darn one of them
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

ziggy

Quote from: hoopdreams on February 23, 2013, 11:56:06 AM
wow..love it.  Not sure where "the shake" originated or why but I laugh at nearly every darn one of them

It originated with a performer at the famed Rucker Park in New York. Like a game of 'telephone', what you now see proliferating youtube is not really the Harlem Shake to those that first knew it. Or so NPR told me yesterday.

northb

Quote from: ziggy on February 23, 2013, 12:38:27 PM
Quote from: hoopdreams on February 23, 2013, 11:56:06 AM

It originated with a performer at the famed Rucker Park in New York. Like a game of 'telephone', what you now see proliferating youtube is not really the Harlem Shake to those that first knew it. Or so NPR told me yesterday.

They seriously need to get out more.
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain

wiz

I think the MVP should just be awarded to a Hope player every year and then we can avoid this discussion at the close of each season IMHO.

GoKnights68

Quote from: hoopdreams on February 23, 2013, 11:00:53 AM
I agree completely M&G. I've never been a fan of the MVP having to come from the more successful team (The Tigers had to make the series in order for Miggy to win MVP....really?) Other other day, I almost posted about Gardner winning it but feared the backlash.  A frosh?  Starter for barely a handful of games?  His play has been fantastic and who really thought that Hope would be playing better, significantly better, without Overway?  Sure, there have been other factors but Ben has been the catalyst.  May even go as far as saying the winner of today's game may be dependant on the baby.

MVP voting is done before the playoffs

wiz

Quote from: GoKnights68 on February 23, 2013, 04:19:55 PM
I agree completely M&G. I've never been a fan of the MVP having to come from the more successful team (The Tigers had to make the series in order for Miggy to win MVP....really?) Other other day, I almost posted about Gardner winning it but feared the backlash.  A frosh?  Starter for barely a handful of games?  His play has been fantastic and who really thought that Hope would be playing better, significantly better, without Overway?  Sure, there have been other factors but Ben has been the catalyst.  May even go as far as saying the winner of today's game may be dependant on the baby.

So, it is already decided?  When is it announced?

GoKnights68

Quote from: wiz on February 23, 2013, 05:42:50 PM
Quote from: GoKnights68 on February 23, 2013, 04:19:55 PM

So, it is already decided?  When is it announced?

Announced after the playoffs.  Ballots submitted before the playoffs

Edit: For MLB that is. 

SKOT

The hip-thursting kid in a sumo costume is a nice touch.  You stay classy San Diego!

calvin_grad

Calvin up by 8 at halftime.  Is 12 shots for Bryan Powell a good thing?  Seems like a lot.

Adrian Bulldawg Alum

This one is over...Calvin dominating Hope right now 58 to 38 with 12 minutes left in the game.  Calvin's D is just so good.

hoopdreams

Very impressive performance by a very sharp Knight squad.  Someone needs to tell NVA that if he posts up on the block instead of 8 feet from the hoop, he wouldn't have to take a meaningless dribble at his midline and proceed to get ripped by the Calvin wing defender who doubles down EVERY TIME he touches the ball.  No way a kid that size should get pushed off the block...ever.  Congrats Calvin, well played.

And there it was NVA, set up on right block and seal your defender, turn middle for your best weapon- the left hand baby hook...simply cannot defend it
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

wiz

It appears the Knights move on and Hope is finished IMHO.

northb

Quote from: wiz on February 23, 2013, 09:15:09 PM
It appears the Knights move on and Hope is finished IMHO.

Monkey officially off the back
DIII 2021 Basketball National Tournament Pick-em Co-Champ

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

--Mark Twain