NACC

Started by LM3, September 13, 2017, 01:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM3

Hi all,

There appeared to be no active thread for the NACC, so might as well kick one off for the 2017 season...

The league seems well represented with 4 teams appearing in the Central Region's first set of rankings.  Chicago and Calvin are at the top of the Region, but NACC programs currently take up the 5-8 slots -- Dominican, Benedictine, Aurora, and Milwaukee School of Engineering respectively. I am looking forward to seeing how the teams continue to develop over the next week or two, as most are still integrating newcomers, and adjusting to a new year.

LM3

Sorry, NACC teams are #6-9 in Central, rather than the #5-8 I originally posted. Still a good representation :D

LM3

I watched Benedictine play at home on Wednesday vs. North Central, where they fell 3-1...taking nothing from North Central, but the match struck me as BenU's worst performance of the year. Lackluster all the way around, with not much energy or sense of team defense, while North Central played with a great deal of heart and energy...getting the ball wide and punishing slow transition and rotation.

BenU rebounded with a stronger performance against Lake Forest on Saturday. Lake Forest was up early, and made use of a brisk wind in the first half, keeping possession, and going up 2-1 at the half. BenU  moved the ball well in the second half, battling back to tie it at 2-2, before falling behind again 3-2. Sr. F Nick Kapenatos had a very strong game, with a goal, and 2 assists, and presented all sorts of danger throughout. BenU moved up 4-3, and then held on, as Lake Forest (a man down for the last 25 minutes or so) still managed to generate a few good chances/half chances.

Ben U is now 5-2 on the season. The Coach seems to be playing a number of combinations, trying to find the right mix as they head toward league play this week.

LM3

Other regionally ranked NACC teams this week:

Dominican played both at Home -- losing to Elmhurst 1-3,  and then defeating North Central 2-1.  The Stars are 4-2 on the season.

MSOE had one match at Home -- losing to Dubuque 1-2. Pirates are 3-2 in 2017.

Aurora had a busy 3 match week -- defeated 1-2 on the road at Wisc - Platteville; Chicago came to town - Aurora loss -- 0-6; Aurora rallied the next day to defeat Dubuque 3-2. The Spartans are now 5-3 on the season.

casualfan

Should be an interesting year in the NACC. Some surprising results early on that should make for a tight race for the conference tourney and for seeding.

My projected conference regular season finish.

1. Dominican
2. Aurora
3. Benedictine
4. MSOE
5. CUW
6. Marian
7. Edgewood
8. WLC
9. Rockford
10. CUC
11. Lakeland

Nothing too surprising here. One interesting note is that Lakeland looks absolutely horrendous and has a total of 14-15 players in their program along with an interim coach who is a former player of just 2 years ago with very little playing experience, who knows of coaching experience. Will they have a program in 2018?

Ejay

Quote from: casualfan on September 19, 2017, 12:27:12 PM
One interesting note is that Lakeland looks absolutely horrendous and has a total of 14-15 players in their program along with an interim coach who is a former player of just 2 years ago with very little playing experience, who knows of coaching experience.

Well, he did Major in exercise science and sport studies ;-)

LM3

Quote from: casualfan on September 19, 2017, 12:27:12 PM
Should be an interesting year in the NACC. Some surprising results early on that should make for a tight race for the conference tourney and for seeding.

My projected conference regular season finish.

1. Dominican
2. Aurora
3. Benedictine
4. MSOE
5. CUW
6. Marian
7. Edgewood
8. WLC
9. Rockford
10. CUC
11. Lakeland

Nothing too surprising here. One interesting note is that Lakeland looks absolutely horrendous and has a total of 14-15 players in their program along with an interim coach who is a former player of just 2 years ago with very little playing experience, who knows of coaching experience. Will they have a program in 2018?

I knew something strange was going on at Lakeland, but did not know the details...too bad, but hope they can move forward, and not fold up.

As to your list --  I keep meaning to watch Dominican, and hope to see some video at the very least, some time soon.  I have seen Aurora play twice (still a small sample) and they are solid, but sort of feel as if Benedictine will be the better side on a day they are playing together as a unit...they strike me as still looking for the right combinations. In any case, it will sort itself out...

casualfan

That was probably my toughest decision was 2-3 between Aurora and BenU. I could see Kapetanos being the difference, but he hasn't had as strong as a start compared to past years. I'm sure he'll figure it out, he's quite the player/goalscorer. The October 18th matchup could be the difference, and it's being played at BenU which will be tough for Aurora.

Dominican tends to be at the top year after year so it was a safe pick on my end. Though I am curious why Alex Rohder is not on the roster this year after finishing as NACC Defensive POY as a Junior... anyone have any insight there?

casualfan

Tonight's Conference Opener Matchups

CUC @ BenU - Prediction: 4-0 BenU takes care of business at home.

Rockford @ Dominican - Prediction: 6-0 Dominican rolls.

Edgewood @ MSOE - Prediction: 3-0 MSOE as Braden Andryk goes off as usual.

WLC @ Lakeland - Prediction: 4-1 WLC as the Warriors take care of the lowly Muskies.

CUW @ Marian - Prediction: 1-1 as I think Marian always plays CUW tough and on grass, CUW struggles.

Elsewhere....

North Park @ Aurora - Prediction: 1-1 draw

casualfan

Quote from: casualfan on September 20, 2017, 10:56:54 AM
Tonight's Conference Opener Matchups

CUC @ BenU - Prediction: 4-0 BenU takes care of business at home.

Rockford @ Dominican - Prediction: 6-0 Dominican rolls.

Edgewood @ MSOE - Prediction: 3-0 MSOE as Braden Andryk goes off as usual.

WLC @ Lakeland - Prediction: 4-1 WLC as the Warriors take care of the lowly Muskies.

CUW @ Marian - Prediction: 1-1 as I think Marian always plays CUW tough and on grass, CUW struggles.

Elsewhere....

North Park @ Aurora - Prediction: 1-1 draw

Not far off with my predictions (aside from the non-conference drubbing that Aurora took at North Park)

BenU scores 10 seconds in, Kapetanos 3 goals & 1 assist, and the Eagles knock off CUC 4-0.

Dominican-Rockford was only 2-0 win 20 to go but finishes them off with a 6-1 result. I could see Rockford surprising someone in top 8 and jumping them... perhaps WLC on Saturday?

Edgewood scores 1st but MSOE responds 30 seconds later and then the Raiders pull away in 2nd half for a 3-1 win. No Andryk goals though which is surprising.

WLC-Lakeland and CUW-Marian both postponed. Looks like they could both be played tonight.

casualfan

CUW with a huge 6-1 victory over Marian. Missed on that one. WLC takes down Lakeland 5-2, about right.

Weekend Matchups 9/23

Aurora @ Edgewood - Prediction: Aurora 2-0

Dominican @ Marian - Prediction: Dominican 4-0

BenU @ CUW - Prediction: 1-1 draw

Rockford @ WLC - Prediction: WLC 3-1

CUC @ Lakeland - Prediction: CUC 2-0

Elsewhere...

MSOE @ Marantha - Prediction: MSOE 7-0

Wisco21

Lakeland 0 - Domincan - ...........16?!

Unbelievable, 47 shots (31 on target) to Lakeland's 1 shot off target. I don't think I've ever seen a scoreline so lopsided.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: LM3 on September 19, 2017, 02:01:43 PM
Quote from: casualfan on September 19, 2017, 12:27:12 PMOne interesting note is that Lakeland looks absolutely horrendous and has a total of 14-15 players in their program along with an interim coach who is a former player of just 2 years ago with very little playing experience, who knows of coaching experience. Will they have a program in 2018?

I knew something strange was going on at Lakeland, but did not know the details...too bad, but hope they can move forward, and not fold up.

Caveat: I have no insider info on Lakeland athletics. Having said that, though, I highly doubt that Lakeland would eliminate men's soccer. It's a universal sport now among the 420+ D3 schools that are co-ed; I think you'll have a hard time finding an exception to that rule. Beyond that, it's a revenue-positive sport; soccer rosters are large (when there's a proper head coach in place doing recruiting, that is), and the required budget isn't, as compared to other sports.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

LM3

Quote from: Wisco21 on September 30, 2017, 04:57:04 PM
Lakeland 0 - Domincan - ...........16?!

Unbelievable, 47 shots (31 on target) to Lakeland's 1 shot off target. I don't think I've ever seen a scoreline so lopsided.

From what I read, the second half was played entirely by bench players...they scored 6 goals. I did not watch, so I have no idea as to the tone of the game, but 16-0 is just brutal.

LM3

I saw both Benedictine matches from the past week:
3-1 loss to Chicago -- BenU played their best brand of team defense in the first half, albeit not perfect, they seemed somewhat inspired - actually having a 1-0 lead early. I was surprised at how many long balls Chicago played in the first half, when their passing,possession game looked strong, even dazzling at moments. BenU tired in the second half, and became more stretched out resulting in a number of good Chicago chances, with two goals off nice crosses. Chicago was clearly the better side, but credit BenU with making it a game.

5-3 win over Edgewood -- to be honest, I was unsure how Edgewood would be able to score after watching the first 20 minutes, but they showed good resilience, and were aided by two 2 PK goals (one call reasonably debatable, the other being a silly, but fully legit foul) they climbed back in to make the score 4-3 with around 10 minutes to go. Tougher defense and the addition of another Lukas Sulka goal and brought the victory home. The three BenU forwards had a very strong night as Kapetanos had a goal and an assist, Stammer with 2 goals and 2 assists, and Sulka adding two goals. After a tough day finding the frame at Concordia Wisconsin, this trio had a very good day. Edgewood is a plucky squad, and I can see how they might sneak up on a  team like that had just done to Aurora.

BenU takes on Dominican at home on Wednesday night....a must win if the BenU if they have any hopes of competing for the league title. It looks like a tough task, but that is why they play the games...