FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalCat

Quote from: olddog on April 07, 2016, 04:30:14 PM
GrayFox, why is the game in the Aloha State ?

Pacific recruits big time in Hawaii and l got a feeling that is a big motivation for them to play there...smart move.
CalCat

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

D O.C.

Quotein 1960 Landry had the Cowboys at Pacific University

...that would be about the time Dallas started drafting LINFIELD guys for a closer look.

Gray Fox

Do Pacific and Oxy get an extra game because they are going to Hawaii? ;D
Fierce When Roused

AUPepBand

So Pep  is planning in mid-July to take a solo cross-country three-week trip from Saxonville to the west coast and back with the itinerary including stops in:
Bicknell, IN
Lawrence, KS
Tulsa, OK
Austin, TX
Roswell, NM (Carlsbad Caverns)
Phoenix, AZ
L.A.
Yosemite National Park
Pendleton, OR
Bozeman, MT
Mount Rushmore, SD
St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN
Lac du Flambeau, WI
and back to Alfred, hopefully within three weeks!!!

The trip will serve as somewhat of a re-enactment (albeit a very different itinerary) of a family cross-country campiing trip Pep took back in 1966 that lasted three weeks and was such a memorable experience that Pep's siblings still talk fondly of our travels. Pep has purchased a number of accessories in order to turn his PT Cruiser into an RV or a one-man mini-house on wheels and is looking to set up camp when he's not staying with friends.

Pep enjoys visiting D3 stadiums...given Pep's tentative itinerary, are there any D3 venues that are "must see"?
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

olddog

Quote from: AUPepBand on May 23, 2016, 08:14:10 PM
So Pep  is planning in mid-July to take a solo cross-country three-week trip from Saxonville to the west coast and back with the itinerary including stops in:
Bicknell, IN
Lawrence, KS
Tulsa, OK
Austin, TX
Roswell, NM (Carlsbad Caverns)
Phoenix, AZ
L.A.
Yosemite National Park

Pep...SCIAC Stadiums, your call

Whittier, largest in the west at 6750...about 50 years old ...
CLU, I think the nicest in the conference...no track...nice entry
UR, pretty standard two sides,6500, with track
Oxy, one side, not special, includes track 
Pomona, not worth a comment other than a large root from oak tree in west end zone...
Claremont, see Pomona with out oak comment
Chapman, nice campus, funky stadium sitting on top of parking structure
La Verne, see Pomona times two, has a track.

Pendleton, OR
Bozeman, MT
Mount Rushmore, SD
St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN
Lac du Flambeau, WI
and back to Alfred, hopefully within three weeks!!!

The trip will serve as somewhat of a re-enactment (albeit a very different itinerary) of a family cross-country campiing trip Pep took back in 1966 that lasted three weeks and was such a memorable experience that Pep's siblings still talk fondly of our travels. Pep has purchased a number of accessories in order to turn his PT Cruiser into an RV or a one-man mini-house on wheels and is looking to set up camp when he's not staying with friends.

Pep enjoys visiting D3 stadiums...given Pep's tentative itinerary, are there any D3 venues that are "must see"?
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

olddog

Crickets out there...

1) How are the defending Champs La Verne, I see your running back Sparks singed with the Australian league. A lot of holes to fill next year. People will be coming for you.
2) Will coach Mac turn the Regals around ? I think they will be improved, if they find a QB and OL can get better. They might be my slight favorite
3) Chapman, lost some players, are they a program or a one class wonder?
4) UR, who will play QB, can the OL get better....I.E diet
5) Claremont, make or break game for the Dogs ..yes CM
6) Whittier, still hiring coaches, tough deal
7) Oxy -  Only QB back, lost a lot
8) Pomona, did they cut those oak tree roots out of the west end zone?

Early Season Finish...a real toss up...my real contenders are the Regals, Stags, Dogs, and Panthers.

1) The Regals .
2) CMS
3) UR
4) Chapman
5) Oxy
6) LV
7) Pomona
8) Poets

D O.C.

OK.
Do you have a chirp for us on the Panther game in McMinnville to open the season?

olddog

DOC, your offense has been better than ours the past couple years,  so it should be less painful. We stopped them four times in the first half but could not put any pressure on them, not even a first down. Eventually the D could not keep defending the short fields. You have to jump on them, if they get rolling its over.

If Linfield makes a mistake you better take advantage in the first half. O/W they are a different team in the Cat Dome, as you know. They are pretty balanced so tough to beat.

It is a great environment for a college football game. Enjoy. Good luck.

CalCat

Quote from: olddog on June 16, 2016, 06:12:01 PM
DOC, your offense has been better than ours the past couple years,  so it should be less painful. We stopped them four times in the first half but could not put any pressure on them, not even a first down. Eventually the D could not keep defending the short fields. You have to jump on them, if they get rolling its over.

If Linfield makes a mistake you better take advantage in the first half. O/W they are a different team in the Cat Dome, as you know. They are pretty balanced so tough to beat.

It is a great environment for a college football game. Enjoy. Good luck.

Olddog: Doc is a Linfield guy l think his question was looking for insight (chirp) you might have regarding Chapman and upcoming game against his Cats.
CalCat

olddog

Thanks Cat, I don't know why but I thought he was a Chapman guy. Hence "old" dog

olddog

Chapman,

They loose six players on offense and of the six their best RB, WR, and linemen. On defense they loose 5 players, their best d linemen and linebackers. They have some pretty good db's back.

The problem with Chapman is the admin standards keep rising, aid to students is not that good unless your EFC is very low then you get a full ride, then its a no brainer...kids go to Chapman...they have a great record of job placement.

The school and facilities are impressive, but admission standards and criteria slows Chapman from getting some very good players, hence great depth. Redlands has a similar issue as for standards, basically in an effort to be more diverse it has impacted getting some good players. I know some local HS players that could not get into Chapman and UR, then ended up at LV... They were the mainstay on this years team. LV was not their first choice.

I like Chapman's coaching staff. I think they have some very good assistants and scheme very well. Replacing 11 starters is tough, I don't think the recruiting classes the past couple years have been as good as they had 4 and 5 years ago. They really have struggle getting enough good linemen and this will be the deal breaker for them against Linfield early in the season. Two returners played as freshman last year, so that tells me others in the program are not that strong or they would have been playing older players versus frosh. The frosh linemen were ok, will be good players but I am sure not their first choice. Lastly I don't think Chapman is getting the QB play they desire, I am sure that job is wide open and uncertain until game time.

D O.C.

Fair enough.
54-0 unless they have a kicker, 54-3.

RFB

Quote from: olddog on June 17, 2016, 12:25:28 PM
Chapman,

They loose six players on offense and of the six their best RB, WR, and linemen. On defense they loose 5 players, their best d linemen and linebackers. They have some pretty good db's back.

The problem with Chapman is the admin standards keep rising, aid to students is not that good unless your EFC is very low then you get a full ride, then its a no brainer...kids go to Chapman...they have a great record of job placement.

The school and facilities are impressive, but admission standards and criteria slows Chapman from getting some very good players, hence great depth. Redlands has a similar issue as for standards, basically in an effort to be more diverse it has impacted getting some good players. I know some local HS players that could not get into Chapman and UR, then ended up at LV... They were the mainstay on this years team. LV was not their first choice.

I like Chapman's coaching staff. I think they have some very good assistants and scheme very well. Replacing 11 starters is tough, I don't think the recruiting classes the past couple years have been as good as they had 4 and 5 years ago. They really have struggle getting enough good linemen and this will be the deal breaker for them against Linfield early in the season. Two returners played as freshman last year, so that tells me others in the program are not that strong or they would have been playing older players versus frosh. The frosh linemen were ok, will be good players but I am sure not their first choice. Lastly I don't think Chapman is getting the QB play they desire, I am sure that job is wide open and uncertain until game time.

DIII football is in trouble. Annual tuition is approaching 50,000 for a lot of schools, so say hello to mostly mediocre football talent taking the field.