FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscl70

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on December 09, 2012, 09:36:43 PM
Did not watch the game and am just now having a chance to sit down and look at the scores from the weekend.  Please know that I'm not trying to rub salt in any open wounds by asking this question...

...but how does a rushing offense as prolific as UMHB's manage to give MUC enough ball possession to score 34 points in the fourth quarter?  I would think that would have been the time the UMHB O-Line would have been able to take over (after wearing down the MUC front seven all day)...

That stat just jumped out at me and made me scratch my head.

The answer is that Mount Union's defense is the real deal.  They managed to keep the game within reach until the offense finally got it together.

UMHB played a great game and took advantage of every mistake Mount made.  In fact UMHB caused most of those mistakes. I expect the Raiders and the Cru will meet again and the game will once again be decided in the closing seconds.  These are two worthy opponents!

There are only a few programs that rival Mount Union, UMHB is one. Next week we'll see about St. Thomas.  There was no one at Mount who did not respect UMHB coming into this game and there will be no one who does not respect UMHB after this game.  We will see you again, this has the potential for a great rivalry.
12-0 = 13

D O.C.

Don't know the kid but football is a rough game and so are the fans.

I've watched LiDarral Bailey's developement for three years now. He did not have the goods to get UMHB over the Mount hurdle.

With the game on the line the best defense in the country went at him hard (when they were supposed to be out of wind from the cupcake schedule).  :D

jaypeter

Quote from: crufootball on December 09, 2012, 09:34:17 PM
Quote from: umhb2001 on December 09, 2012, 08:39:18 PM
So very sickened by the loss. We had it only to see it slip through our fingers. It was said on the OAC board that 'UMHB may not recover from this loss.' Well, they don't know us well, then. For those underclassmen who went through this, they will take some time, look back, and press on in January. That comes from the history, the team, and the coaches.

Best of luck Mount, as I've always said, root for the one who beat you, and I hope they beat St. Thomas badly. Till next year, UP WITH THE PURPLE, THE GOLD, AND THE WHITE!

I read that comment too about UMHB not being able to recover and I thought it was odd. I know it was a bad loss, but if what I think will happen, happens then they will be able to say they went toe to toe with the champion and could have/should have won. Also our coaches are now going to be able to sell a brand new stadium to go along with a team that will have been featured on ESPN multiple times so we could get even better in the next few years.

I think saying the comment was odd is being generous.  If UMHB didn't have such a strong foundation, maybe it's true.  But a team with as much going for it as the Cru won't really even have to recover...they'll move to the next year and it will be a part of the fabric of future teams while the memory remains.  If UMHB doesn't make it as far next year, it will probably have more to do with what y'all have said will be a significant of senior leadership.  That's a significant if, though.

Mst of us Mount fans have enough respect for UMHB to begin rooting for UMHB to make it to the Stagg...as an opponent that we'd enjoy beating in a great game.   ;)   Most probably now have enough healthy fear to not mind if someone else knocks you off before y'all get there!  Would we have enjoyed beating Whitewater in a Stagg Bowl this year?  Absolutely.  Was there some sense of relief that we don't  have to?  Yes.  (And no, I'm not looking past the Tommies...I'm simply talking of the difference between having to face the Warhawks again).  UMHB has earned that with 120 minutes of game time, an even split, and just a six point difference.  Would be curious how much time each team has led in the two games.

PurpleisBOLD98

So you mean to tell me that should not have been the Stagg Bowl. That is the reason why you dont play #1 vs #2 in the semis. Hopefully St. Thomas can put on a better show. Otherwise it will be a complete let down. Thanks again NCAA.
Go CRU!

Kelly Boggs

Congratulations to UMHB on another great season. Tough loss in Alliance, but you left it all on the field. I know that Central Texas, the school and alumni everywhere are very proud of this year's team. I am already counting down the days not only to the first game, but also to the home opener and the christening of the new stadium dubbed "The Cathedral" by some and "The Palace" by others. It should be a great atmosphere with a large crowd on hand to witness what will likely be a match-up of two top ten teams.

Win, lose or draw, we are CRUsaders, forever.

Up with the Purple!
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

Bill McCabe

Quote from: D O.C. on December 10, 2012, 02:12:03 AM
Don't know the kid but football is a rough game and so are the fans.

I've watched LiDarral Bailey's developement for three years now. He did not have the goods to get UMHB over the Mount hurdle.

With the game on the line the best defense in the country went at him hard (when they were supposed to be out of wind from the cupcake schedule).  :D

You can't pin that loss on Bailey.  He had a great season and a very good game against a very good team.  I doubt UMHB would have been there without Bailey.

The "defense in the country" gave up 28 points.

joelmama

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on December 09, 2012, 09:36:43 PM
Did not watch the game and am just now having a chance to sit down and look at the scores from the weekend.  Please know that I'm not trying to rub salt in any open wounds by asking this question...

...but how does a rushing offense as prolific as UMHB's manage to give MUC enough ball possession to score 34 points in the fourth quarter?  I would think that would have been the time the UMHB O-Line would have been able to take over (after wearing down the MUC front seven all day)...

That stat just jumped out at me and made me scratch my head.
Yes they scored 34 points in the 4th quarter but you really need to remove 13 of them.  The first touchdown was scored on the first play of the quarter.  The last on a desperation play that had nothing to do with UMHB performance for the game.  In between the blocked punt was a gift just like the gift UMU gave on the muffed punt catch at the 10.  The main point is that while Mount's defense was playing against a prolific (and I would say one of the better run offenses I have seen) Mount's run defense is the best I have seen.  All year they averaged giving up barely 1 yard per attempt.  Of course they will give up more against the better teams like UMHB, but they dug in and playe a great quarter of defense and handed the ball to a very good offense.  The UMHB defense got wore down in the 4th (and some said since Mount hadn't played a full game with starters all year they would be the ones to falter in a tight one, who knew?) and Mount's offense is just that good when they do not turn it over.  Assuming a clean game Friday night by Mount (no turnovers), I do not think they will lose no matter if St. Thomas plays at their best or not.  I know that sounds arrogant but I think it is the case.

Josh Bowerman

I was thinking more in terms of clock management. 

With a rushing offense like UMHB's, I would think that it would be fairly easy to kill a minimum of 6 minutes off the clock in the fourth quarter just by staying in bounds and running the play clock down to 1 second before snapping the ball--even if they were forced into a three-and-out situation by the MUC defense.

Having not seen the game, I don't know if the situation would have actually allowed it or not.  I did see the MUC scored at least two 4th quarter TDs on long, sustained drives, though.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Josh Bowerman on December 10, 2012, 03:10:30 PM
I was thinking more in terms of clock management. 

With a rushing offense like UMHB's, I would think that it would be fairly easy to kill a minimum of 6 minutes off the clock in the fourth quarter just by staying in bounds and running the play clock down to 1 second before snapping the ball--even if they were forced into a three-and-out situation by the MUC defense.

Having not seen the game, I don't know if the situation would have actually allowed it or not.  I did see the MUC scored at least two 4th quarter TDs on long, sustained drives, though.

From what I saw:

1.  Mount's defense stiffened up (really they played lights out all day -- UMU's turnovers (which WERE forced by MHB) put that defense in bad spots.  They stuffed the run and then rushed Bailey with ambandon.  The pressure was more than the 3 sacks, though.  I think the pressure was the reason Bailey was only 9-19 through the air.   
2.  Iffy play calls -- I can remember a reverse that was a wasted down (and lost yardage) and the 4th and 1 attempt was just tragic.  Can't be mad at the MHB staff though, they were making great calls in the first half -- such as the timeout before the punt muff.  I thought once MHB was up 14 after the pick-6 that we were going to see them ram it down the field on the ground. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

yessir

1st Down yardage killed us in the second half. I'm still trying understanding the blocked punt even after seeing video of it. The 4th and 1 was a stinger as well. Really unfortunate...we were so close and let it slip away. Already looking forward to next year. New stadium is gonna be epic. It's amazing to see how far not only the football team, but the entire campus has come since I first attended UMHB in 2002. Definitely proud to be a Football Alumni, and a Crusader. Time to rest and relax for a few weeks and get back to work next spring!!!
Walking on thin ice cuz someone lost......again.

Toph

MHB's inability to get off the field defensively on 3rd down killed them in the 4th quarter as well. I think there was a 3rd and 22 that Mount converted for a 1st down, and then a 3rd and 15 or so later in the 4th. Both converted for 1st downs.

MHB did a great job creating points off turnovers, but to not finish a single drive off a punt or a Mount score is the difference.

jaypeter

Quote from: yessir on December 10, 2012, 05:49:42 PM
1st Down yardage killed us in the second half. I'm still trying understanding the blocked punt even after seeing video of it. The 4th and 1 was a stinger as well. Really unfortunate...we were so close and let it slip away. Already looking forward to next year. New stadium is gonna be epic. It's amazing to see how far not only the football team, but the entire campus has come since I first attended UMHB in 2002. Definitely proud to be a Football Alumni, and a Crusader. Time to rest and relax for a few weeks and get back to work next spring!!!

Seems like the opener will be a great day next year...always exciting to open the season after a successful year and opening a new stadium will be nearly off the charts.  Who do you open with?  I thought I saw someone mention Wesley again but maybe I made that up.  How big will the seating be?  Any end zone seats?  Artificial or natural grass?  If I was still living in Austin, I'd try to make it.  North Carolina is a bit of a haul when it's not even my team.  Though I will say UMHB were my first non-Mount Union games.  I'd sit in the stands wearing my MUC shirt listing all the wins the top DI schools had in the 90's and showing Mount Union with more than all of them and have people ask me who Mount Union was and if it was true how many wins they really had.  This would have been around 2001 or 2002

Pretty sure a lot of Mount fans would have asked who UMHB was at that time, too.  They certainly need no introduction now!

crufootball

Quote from: jaypeter on December 10, 2012, 07:03:26 PM
Quote from: yessir on December 10, 2012, 05:49:42 PM

Seems like the opener will be a great day next year...always exciting to open the season after a successful year and opening a new stadium will be nearly off the charts.  Who do you open with?  I thought I saw someone mention Wesley again but maybe I made that up.  How big will the seating be?  Any end zone seats?  Artificial or natural grass?  If I was still living in Austin, I'd try to make it.  North Carolina is a bit of a haul when it's not even my team.  Though I will say UMHB were my first non-Mount Union games.  I'd sit in the stands wearing my MUC shirt listing all the wins the top DI schools had in the 90's and showing Mount Union with more than all of them and have people ask me who Mount Union was and if it was true how many wins they really had.  This would have been around 2001 or 2002

Pretty sure a lot of Mount fans would have asked who UMHB was at that time, too.  They certainly need no introduction now!

Yep we open against Wesley on week 3 of next season after traveling to Huntington and Kean. Crusader Stadium will seat around 8,000 with room to grow to 10,000 if you count standing room only and will be turf. One feature I like is that the student union building, which is also being built right now, is going to make up most of the visitors side so the complex is truly a campus wide building. You can see some renderings and get more information at http://www.umhb.edu/masterplan/crusader-stadium.

Kelly Boggs

A nickname for the new stadium could be - drum roll, please - "The CRUthedral."  ;D
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

Desertraider

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on December 11, 2012, 07:29:59 AM
A nickname for the new stadium could be - drum roll, please - "The CRUthedral."  ;D

From a Mount fans point of view - that is a really good name. I think you should trademark it regardless.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0