Transfer Eligibility Fair?

Started by regaleagle, November 01, 2013, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

regaleagle

Been looking at NCAA rules for football transfer and have to say it seems like a bit of slavery. One time exemption unless you play hockey or football is prejudicial. The reasoning that they need one year to sit out to acclimate is bogus. They didn't need to acclimate their freshman year when they got there out of high school.
Dlll means your paying your own way no athletic scholarship so why should NCAA take a year away if this is the case? In my opinion kids should be able to move freely just as coaches , professors, etc do.
Opine please.

Pat Coleman

Regaleagle, there's no rule like that for Division III.

There are some conferences that restrict how you can move between conference schools, where you might have to sit out a year if you transfer from one OAC school to another after a certain time, or from one CCIW school to another. But there is no Division III-wide transfer waiting period.

Not sure what you're reading, but aside from a couple of limited cases transferring between schools within the same conference, if you are eligible at the school you are leaving then you are eligible at the school you are joining.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

regaleagle

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2013, 10:37:12 AM
Regaleagle, there's no rule like that for Division III.
Well that's what I couldn't addressed in the NCAA pages , all seemed geared towards Dl  info. What about a transfer from Dlll  to Dll ?

There are some conferences that restrict how you can move between conference schools, where you might have to sit out a year if you transfer from one OAC school to another after a certain time, or from one CCIW school to another. But there is no Division III-wide transfer waiting period.

Not sure what you're reading, but aside from a couple of limited cases transferring between schools within the same conference, if you are eligible at the school you are leaving then you are eligible at the school you are joining.

wally_wabash

From the D-III Manual:

14.5.5 Four-Year College Transfers. See Bylaw 13.1.1.2 for prohibition against contacting student-athletes of another four-year collegiate institution without permission.
14.5.5.1 General Rule. A transfer student from a four-year institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition until the student has fulfilled an academic year of residence (see Bylaw 14.02.10) at the certifying institution unless the student qualifies for one of the transfer exceptions set forth in Bylaws 14.5.5.1.1, 14.5.5.1.2 or 14.5.5.1.3. A transfer student (other than one under disciplinary suspension per Bylaw 14.5.1.2) may qualify for an exception to the academic year of residence requirement provided he or she does not have an unfulfilled residence requirement at the institution from which he or she is transferring. (See Bylaw 14.1.12, for student-athletes participating in a recognized foreign exchange/study abroad program). (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, 5/7/10, 1/19/13)
14.5.5.1.1 Exception. A student who transfers to the certifying institution shall be immediately eligible if: (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 1/10/05 effective 8/1/05)(a) The student has never practiced or competed in intercollegiate athletics; (Revised: 1/9/06, 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)
(b) The student transfers from a four-year collegiate institution and would have been academically and athletically eligible, at the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), had he or she remained at the previous institution; or (Revised: 1/12/11 effective 8/1/11)(c) The student transfers from a four-year collegiate institution that did not sponsor the student-athlete's sport and, while at that institution, the student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/12/11 effective 8/1/11)
(1) Successfully completed at least 24-semester or 36-quarter hours of transferable-degree credit; and
(2) Completed at least two full-time semesters or three full-time quarters.

Bolding added for emphasis here. 

As long as your grades are good and you're not in some kind of other trouble that makes you ineligible at the school you're leaving, then you're good to go. 

If you're transferring into Division II, then you'd have go by the Division II rules, which I'm not currently up to speed on.  I think you probably have to sit out.  I'll check and update here in a few. 

Update...that Division II manual is a mess.  It looks like there are a million ways to be eligible immediately for D-II if you're transferring from 2-year colleges.  I think (heavy stress on think because I'm not parsing this out very thoroughly), if you're talking about strict 4-year school to 4-year school transfers, then  you have to sit out a year.  You can take athletic aid and practice but you can't play.  There are some exceptions, but nothing as broad as the D-III "good standing" exception.  The most common D-II exception would be the graduate transfer exception (Russell Wilson at Wisconsin is probably the most well known case)...other exceptions seem like they would be very, very rare cases. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

I remember that was a problem a while ago at Oberlin (Oberlin, of all places!). The hoops site doesn't go back that far but Oberlin had one, maybe two, really good players that transferred in and then were declared ineligible after they won a NCAC hoops tournament game because they weren't eligible at the place they came from (I think it was Chicago).

**Found it, it was 2002...the NCAC has some good archives.

Bishopleftiesdad

Regal, I believe you are looking Div 1. If you were to transfer to a Div 1 school from a Div III school you have to sit out. Before this rule D3 coaches in Baseball did not like sending their best kids to the higher summer leagues because they would get poached by D1 schools. If I remember correctly the Northwoods league used to be known for this.

regaleagle

Well, just trying to clarify differences and all this is good info and explains a lot. Even at the Dl  level I think sitting out is unwarranted and should be abolished. The only reason it's done is to penalize a kid who got into an arrangement he would like to extricate  himself from. Scholarships are yearly and though usually not pulled certainly can be. A young man should have the option of correcting a situation he finds himself in and not lose a year of playing eligibility.

Pat Coleman

Even then, they don't lose a year of eligibility. They have to sit out a year, potentially, but they retain their four years of eligibility.

Although I am definitely not a D-I guy.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

The thing that gets me about D1 is that a coach/school can refuse to allow a player to transfer for any or no reason.   WTF NCAA?

regaleagle

Pat, how would that work if say a kid red shirted 1st year then played 2nd then transfered and had to sit out 1 year. How many more seasons would he have on the field? Remember he is now in his 4th year but has technically only played 1. So if he has 5 to play 4 how many seasons on the field will he get? I ask because you seem a knowledgeable source on the matter that has years of experience.

smedindy

Oh, just think if regular students were hamstrung by the transfer rules. Dean Pelton wouldn't allow anyone to leave Greendale!

regaleagle

Quote from: smedindy on November 01, 2013, 02:07:16 PM
Oh, just think if regular students were hamstrung by the transfer rules. Dean Pelton wouldn't allow anyone to leave Greendale!
Now that's funny there, hahaha

HSCTiger74

Quote from: smedindy on November 01, 2013, 02:07:16 PM

Once a Human Being always a Human Being I guess.
TANSTAAFL