WBB: Skyline Conference

Started by Senior Hoopster, April 14, 2004, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumphigh

deiscanton

To protect the interests of teams competing in the NCAA tournament, I have taken down a post relating to information relating to game preparation for an upcoming first round game.

If anyone wants to inquire about the subject matter of the deleted post, I will reply by PM.   I request that anyone receiving PMs relating to this subject matter from me not post the content of the PMs.

Thanks.

gadk

Knights Place Three on Skyline First Team

NEWBURGH, N.Y. – Senior Jess Tice (Altamont, N.Y.), junior Amanda Horvers (Kingston, N.Y.), and junior Jen Mocanu (Belford, N.J.) were all named to the Skyline Conference women's basketball first team with the announcement of the year-end awards on Wednesday.

Tice, the lone senior on this year's squad, averaged 11.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. She led the team in blocks per game (2.3) and became the all-time career leader for blocks at the Mount. Tice also led the Knights in steals at 2.0 per game.

Horvers took a different route to her first team all-conference selection, doing most of her damage by way of the three-pointer. The junior hit 67 threes to lead the team and connected at a rate of 35.3-percent. Horvers finished the season at 12.8 points per game and rounds out her stat line with 3.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists, and 1.6 steals.

Mocanu, named the Skyline Tournament's most valuable player after scoring 31 points in the championship game, was the team's leading scorer at 13.6 points per contest. Mocanu shot nearly 45-percent from the field, while dishing out a team-best 68 assists. The junior also contributed 3.6 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game.

The Knights will compete later this week in their 12th consecutive NCAA Tournament. They'll travel to Bowdoin College in Maine for a first round game with Emmanuel College on Friday, March 4. The tip is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. and the game can be followed via webcast.

jumphigh

MSMC Women came out with great defense against Emmanuel last night. They held the saints to nineteen first half points on 9 of 32 attempts and held a 48-27 rebound edge for the game. Going into the game Emmanuel led the country in assists per game, but MSMC held the edge there to at 19-15.

Big test tonight, I think Bowdoin comes into tonight's game with a 14-1 home court record in the NCAA's

deiscanton

Quote from: jumphigh on March 05, 2011, 07:53:11 AM
MSMC Women came out with great defense against Emmanuel last night. They held the saints to nineteen first half points on 9 of 32 attempts and held a 48-27 rebound edge for the game. Going into the game Emmanuel lead the country in assists per game, but MSMC held the edge there to at 19-15.

Big test tonight, I think Bowdoin comes into tonight's game with a 14-1 home court record in the NCAA's

You are correct-- only Bowdoin home loss in the NCAA DIII tournament was a 1 point loss to Muhlenberg in the second round March, 2009--- Coach Adrienne Shibles had already taken the helm at Bowdoin.

Bowdoin was undefeated at home in NCAA tournament play under Stefanie Pemper, who now is the head coach of DI Navy.

7express

I still wish Mt. Saint Mary was in the LEC conference...I have a feeling those Western MSM games could be good, plus we'd actually have an easy road trip in conference :)

jumphigh

MSMC-Coach Ognibene mentions it, Replacing Tice won't be easy! 

7express

Big game tomorrow night @ the Kaplan center between William Paterson & Mount St. Mary.  It was close last year (IIRC tied at halftime), but the MSM defense really clamped down in the second half.  Jess Tice was a big part of last year's win with 12 points 7 boards and 3 blocks.  Will be interesting to see the Knight's trademark defense against the Pioneers 2 all-americans in BriAnna Lucas and April Smith.  Last year Lucas had a game high 17 points, but they held Smith to 1 point on 0-13 shooting.    The last time I saw the Knight's they held a Western Connecticut team that had been averaging over 70 points a game to a season slow 58.  The Pioneers are averaging 82.6 ppg this year, havn't been held below 71 and have cracked 90+ in 4 of their 9 games this year.  If the Knights can hold them below 55 they win, otherwise WPU more than likely wins.  Looking forward to this game though, 2 contrasting styles.

jumphigh

Yes, Smith was held to one point last year with Tice guarding her. Not sure MSMC has a player this year that can hold her to a point tonight.
MSMC has played more zone defense than in the past. But this game is a big measuring stick for both teams as last year MSMC won 60-44

gadk

What a hard fall from grace! Mt.St.Mary 0-11.  11 losses all ready! in years past that would be three seasons worth. I guess all good things must come to an end :'(

7express

Quote from: gadk on January 14, 2014, 07:54:25 PM
What a hard fall from grace! Mt.St.Mary 0-11.  11 losses all ready! in years past that would be three seasons worth. I guess all good things must come to an end :'(

Is there any word why Ognibene resigned??  I saw them in the opener vs. Hartwick, and granted Hartwick is receiving votes in the top 25 this year, but have to think with Ognibene they don't lose by 45 or whatever that final margin was.  I don't think they've done much better since that opener.  The next day they gave up 60 to a J&W team who has trouble breaking 40 most games.

Pat Coleman

It was not by his choice. But I don't know more than that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.