WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hopefan223

Hi guys I think 99.5 percent hope girls will host

TUAngola

Congratulations to Hope last night for winning the MIAA championship.  Lots of "what ifs" played out in my mind on the drive home from Holland.  "What if" we didn't have such an awful 3rd quarter, don't know how many layups we missed, but it was a bunch.  "What if" Brandi Dawson doesn't foul out with 3 minutes to go would Trine have prevailed (I thought the refs were dreadful last night, for both sides).  "What if" Cassidy Williams makes both of her FT's with 16 seconds to go instead of 1-2 which would have put Trine up 4 rather than 3 (the "DeVos curse" for visiting teams 2 nights in a row  ::)).  "What if" Trine can get just 1 stop out of the 2 Hope possessions at the end of the game (got to give credit to Hope, their execution was flawless, especially on the out of bounds play with less than 2 seconds to go).

I don't know why in my mind that I thought Hope would surely go for the win with a 3ball that last play in regulation.  But the out of bounds play worked to perfection, eerily similar to their game up at Calvin a few weeks ago.  But it made sense for Hope to go for the tie and get the game to OT, #1 edge to Hope, Dawson is on the bench; #2 edge to Hope, they have a deeper bench, our girls looked a little gassed.  I came away very impressed with Schoonveld, she's a player, especially for only a freshman.  She almost singlehandedly kept Hope in the game the 1st half.  Buchanan is a gamer, she is a beast inside, uses her body leverage very well, not the prettiest of shots, but they go in.  But I wouldn't trade her for Haley Martin, she is so superior as a defender, the league just doesn't have a girl that can guard the post like she can (Voskuil will get there), and I thought the refs called a couple bad ones on her last night that were clear blocks, Haley knew it, the coaches knew it, but the refs automatically bail out the offensive player.  I thought Hope's on ball pressure on our guards was terrific, most D3 teams don't pressure way out on the court like that, took us out of our rhythm after the 1st quarter, which was almost flawless for Trine, probably the best quarter of basketball I've seen us play all year.   

First time to DeVos, great atmosphere and fan support, got loud at the end.  Good group of us Trine folk made the trek too, might have had 100 or so.  Guess we'll have to wait and see what pod Trine get's put in.  Was hoping for games at Angola, but that is highly unlikely now.       

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: TUAngola on February 25, 2018, 06:42:01 PM

First time to DeVos, great atmosphere and fan support, got loud at the end.  Good group of us Trine folk made the trek too, might have had 100 or so.  Guess we'll have to wait and see what pod Trine get's put in.  Was hoping for games at Angola, but that is highly unlikely now.       

Congratulations on your first DeVos visit - it is a gem!  [Sorry the result didn't give you a more pleasant ride home! :)]

I've only been there once myself (for games; been by it several times), for the first weekend of the 2012 men's national tourney.  IWU had no trouble Friday (as expected - UWSP was so injury-plagued that year that they were simply not a tourney team by tourney time).  Hope was ranked #1 in the country, and our two top guys were seriously hurting (both had surgery once the season was over [back for one, foot for the other]) - I talked with one father during halftime Friday and sat behind the other guy's grandfather the whole game: neither thought either of the guys could possibly play on Saturday.  So I arrived on Saturday with pretty low expectations.

It was one of the most incredible games I have ever seen live!  Both players were visibly grimacing in pain throughout, but they simply would not ALLOW IWU to lose.  We finally pulled away in the second overtime - and I knew right then we were destined for Salem!

TUAngola

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 25, 2018, 07:33:29 PM

Congratulations on your first DeVos visit - it is a gem!  [Sorry the result didn't give you a more pleasant ride home! :)]

I've only been there once myself (for games; been by it several times), for the first weekend of the 2012 men's national tourney.  IWU had no trouble Friday (as expected - UWSP was so injury-plagued that year that they were simply not a tourney team by tourney time).  Hope was ranked #1 in the country, and our two top guys were seriously hurting (both had surgery once the season was over [back for one, foot for the other]) - I talked with one father during halftime Friday and sat behind the other guy's grandfather the whole game: neither thought either of the guys could possibly play on Saturday.  So I arrived on Saturday with pretty low expectations.

It was one of the most incredible games I have ever seen live!  Both players were visibly grimacing in pain throughout, but they simply would not ALLOW IWU to lose.  We finally pulled away in the second overtime - and I knew right then we were destined for Salem!

Trine has a gem of an arena as well.  MTI Center opened in January of this year.  Calvin, Hope and now Trine probably have 3 of the nicest D3 facilities in the country.   

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: TUAngola on February 25, 2018, 08:57:34 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 25, 2018, 07:33:29 PM

Trine has a gem of an arena as well.  MTI Center opened in January of this year.  Calvin, Hope and now Trine probably have 3 of the nicest D3 facilities in the country.   

I'll hope to make it down there some time next season.  I've never seen the Trine campus (but have been close by many dozens of times on I-69).  It's only a couple of hours from Ypsi, so I really have no excuse!

Flying Dutch Fan

Hope women hosting as expected.  Play Cornell College on Friday - winner to face the winner of the 1st game WashU vs Wheaton. 

Trine with an awful draw in my opinion - play DePauw in the first round at Ill. Wesleyan.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Mr. Ypsi

MIAA and CCIW have to go thru each other to reach the second weekend!

Enginerd

Trine and Depauw were screwed spectacularly by the committee - Wow what a "Pod of Death".
Trine is a VERY good team and I'm very impressed with what I saw of them this season - They are good enough to get out of this pod alive. Terrible draw though - probably the Universe responding to their claims of having an engineering program. LoL.
Seriously though, if Trine gets out of this pod, they might very well make it to Minnesota. Tough, competitive kids, and you have to respect their body of work.
Trine is my not-so Dark-Horse Final Four team.

sac

Trine's pairing is #6 vs #7 in the latest d3hoops.com poll (last week) being hosted by #16 Illinois Wesleyan

sac

Hope's bracket seems to suggest Hope is highest seed and in line to host sectionals, however they may avoid flights and put the sectional at Thomas More if certain teams advance.

Little bit of a risky bracket flight wise.

NW Hope Fan

Grew up in NY and saw Cornell... And I'm like??? I thought they were an Ivy League school. Double checked and realized there is a Cornell College.
Apologies to any folks from Wisconsin.  :-[
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Dutchfan

Trine's draw is one of the worst I've ever seen.

#6 Trine vs. #17 DePauw
at #16 Illinois Wesleyan vs. Marietta (Who should probably be ranked)

Tough draw. I hate to see this happen to a team that has played so well all season. Not how I would've paired them up if it was me. That being said, I do believe that they can win this pod, but it's going to be tough.

Not the worst draw I've ever seen. That would've been 2011, when the N.C.A.A in their infinite wisdom gave us perhaps the worst pod ever...

At Hope
#4 Hope
#7 DePauw
#10 Denison
#12 Washington U.
Any one of these teams was worthy of hosting and capable of making it to the Final Four. It was a true shame to do that to these teams.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sac on February 26, 2018, 04:47:50 PM
Hope's bracket seems to suggest Hope is highest seed and in line to host sectionals, however they may avoid flights and put the sectional at Thomas More if certain teams advance.

Little bit of a risky bracket flight wise.

RMC can't get to Thomas More under 500 miles... so I think the hosting option is wide open.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TUAngola

:o

Wow...D3 committee doesn't like Trine very much, or DePauw for that matter.  Lots of good comments from you folks, and agree with you.  However it is what it is.  Trine isn't the only team to get a bad draw, but to have a #10 team in the nation (WBCA rankings as of today), DePauw, play a #11 team in the nation, Trine, IN THE VERY FIRST GAME, BOTH TEAMS ON THE ROAD NO LESS, is hard to fathom.  I doubt there is another 4 team pod where every team in it is ranked 35th (Marietta) or better, 18th IWU.  I don't think it will phase the girls though, it's always next game up for them no matter who they play.  They could very well lose the 1st game, but not without a fight.   

bballfan13

Quote from: NW Hope Fan on February 26, 2018, 04:58:21 PM
Grew up in NY and saw Cornell... And I'm like??? I thought they were an Ivy League school. Double checked and realized there is a Cornell College.
Apologies to any folks from Wisconsin.  :-[

I think you need to apologize to the folks in Mount Vernon, Iowa  :)