FB: Midwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulbakdad

Lake Forest wins a wild ending one 35-34.  4 lead changes in the last 5 or 6 minutes.  Lawrence was up by 6 with I think 5 minutes left.  Pinned Lake Forest on their own 1 yard line.  LFC went 99 yards to go up by 1.  Lawrence comes back and scores with about 30 seconds left.  Down by 6, LFC goes another 60 yards or so and scores.  Dead ball penalty on the scoring play.  Pushed LFC back 10 more yard for the extra.  They kick it and win....

scottie

Quote from: gbpuckfan on September 22, 2018, 04:46:04 PM
SNC wins 91-0. But...

SNC used three quarterbacks who attempted 11 passes. SNC used 10 different running backs.

SNC had five defensive touchdowns, four of which were Grinnell fumbles in:near the endzone.

Grinnell had four first downs. And -18 yards rushing.

Total offense 474-49

I'm so glad you were there and are posting about the game, because something stinks here.... 

I went to the MWC website to get a quick review of the scores.  The caption of underneath this games states, "Slager [of GC] breaks school record for unassisted tackles in game at St. Norbert." 

EXCUSE ME??? Not a caption related to the lopsidedness of the win (or loss) or SNC's gaudy stat line,  but about a Grinnell player setting a school record????  Did an Arsenault write that??  Puckfan, please tell us: Is it possible that Grinnell threw this game in order for one individual to get a school record?  Your recap above would indicate that either there was no fight at all by GC, or that Trinity Bible College must have come to the Grinnell game with only 11 players who had to play every down with a bible in their hand. 

Signed,

Scottie the skeptic
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

gbpuckfan

I can't imagine they threw the game. SNC rushed 50 times so it makes some sense that tackles weren't more spread out among the secondary.

The two early turnovers just totally threw the Pioneers. The wheels cane off. And the turnovers - other than the long interception return - were really easy scores for SNC.

Overall it was the SNC d-line that won the game. Just too much pressure that didn't allow Grinnell to get anything going on offense. No running attack. Little passing.

The score was embarrassing but SNC emptied the bench. All 100+ players got in. As noted, 10 different people carried the ball. More than two dozen players had defense stats
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

gbpuckfan

And congrats to the SNC kicker for setting an NCAA record by becoming the first kicker to go 13-13 on extra points.

The record was 13 - but the previous guy was 13 of 14
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

gbpuckfan

Oh and Grinnell won time of possession. Showing how utterly inconsequential that stat was today

WW

Quote from: scottie on September 22, 2018, 06:57:39 PM
Quote from: gbpuckfan on September 22, 2018, 04:46:04 PM
SNC wins 91-0. But...

SNC used three quarterbacks who attempted 11 passes. SNC used 10 different running backs.

SNC had five defensive touchdowns, four of which were Grinnell fumbles in:near the endzone.

Grinnell had four first downs. And -18 yards rushing.

Total offense 474-49

I'm so glad you were there and are posting about the game, because something stinks here.... 

I went to the MWC website to get a quick review of the scores.  The caption of underneath this games states, "Slager [of GC] breaks school record for unassisted tackles in game at St. Norbert." 

EXCUSE ME??? Not a caption related to the lopsidedness of the win (or loss) or SNC's gaudy stat line,  but about a Grinnell player setting a school record????  Did an Arsenault write that??  Puckfan, please tell us: Is it possible that Grinnell threw this game in order for one individual to get a school record?  Your recap above would indicate that either there was no fight at all by GC, or that Trinity Bible College must have come to the Grinnell game with only 11 players who had to play every down with a bible in their hand. 

Signed,

Scottie the skeptic

No stink. Grinnell had about 30 suited up. SNC had Oshkosh jv today so they really couldn't burn the bench. They sent the D a little hard but whaddaya supposed to do? Stop trying?

judgetrainer

Anyone watching Grinnell the last few years knows they did not throw the game. And I realize hyperbole was being used.

Reality in the conference is that Monmouth and SNC are at the top of their divisions. LFC and Chicago come next. Macalester, Ripon, IC, are the next level. Cornell could be in that group or the next one down that includes Knox and LU. Grinnell and Beloit are the bottom.

As a Lawrence guy I am just pleased that we have moved out of the absolute bottom group. Maybe I will live long enough to see a contender again. One stop. One stop in the fourth quarter was all I wanted...

scottie

Thanks, All.  Scottie is a skeptic-no-more.  The four lost fumbles in/near the end zone just had me tilted for a bit.  Maybe my beef should be directed to whomever wrote the game's summary on the website.  (But, still, how bad must Trinity Bible be.....?)   :o

fulbakdad

Judge, I am with you after watching/being attached to Lake Forest for the last 7 to 8 years.  We were at the bottom then also.  It shows that teams, with proper coaching and support, can pull themselves out of the cellar. 

judgetrainer

fulbakdad my greatest beef these days is what I perceive as limited support from alumni. The historic refrain was if you support the team we will help. Well, the alumni support has not met costs. Sadly, this is not limited to sports.

Meanwhile, I revel in memories of 1986...

WW

Quote from: scottie on September 24, 2018, 05:21:07 PM
Thanks, All.  Scottie is a skeptic-no-more.  The four lost fumbles in/near the end zone just had me tilted for a bit.  Maybe my beef should be directed to whomever wrote the game's summary on the website.  (But, still, how bad must Trinity Bible be.....?)   :o

Good enough to beat Lewis-Clark Valley in their hoco game Saturday...

Judge, I think you're right about alumni support, and the resulting pressure on administration to commit to athletic success. Does that kind of alumni base exist at Lawrence or Grinnell? I don't know. Based on what I know about Grinnell's admission standards, academic programs and student populace, my guess is no. Half that student body probably doesn't know or care that they have a football team, and won't care any more or less 10 or 20 years from now when they're in a position to support the institution.

The program I have my eye on is Ripon. Lots of new stuff at Ripon. They reworked their cost/tuition structure to make it apples-to-apples more attractive than comparable privates. And they put efforts into recruiting that far surpass what they've done in the past. Each of those initiatives involved significant cost. The results? 47 freshman football players. That's huge. I would expect to see further validation of their financial commitment to athletic success in W-L records in the coming years.

scottie

Quote from: WW on September 25, 2018, 10:05:26 AM

Three cheers to TBC football on the 21-20 win.  Combined score in TBC's three previous losses: 182-6. 

UWO Titan 78

Quote from: fulbakdad on September 22, 2018, 05:23:00 PM
Lake Forest wins a wild ending one 35-34.  4 lead changes in the last 5 or 6 minutes.  Lawrence was up by 6 with I think 5 minutes left.  Pinned Lake Forest on their own 1 yard line.  LFC went 99 yards to go up by 1.  Lawrence comes back and scores with about 30 seconds left.  Down by 6, LFC goes another 60 yards or so and scores.  Dead ball penalty on the scoring play.  Pushed LFC back 10 more yard for the extra.  They kick it and win....

I didn't see the game, but if I read the box score correctly the Lawrence coach opted to kick the PAT rather than going for two to make this a 7-point game with a minute to play. Could the coach have been worried that if he went for two and it was returned against him, LF would only need a field goal to tie? Up 5 with a minute left, you have to go for two, don't you?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: scottie on September 25, 2018, 11:34:02 AM
Quote from: WW on September 25, 2018, 10:05:26 AM

Lewis-Clark Valley is a club program, if that helps for understanding of that game.

Three cheers to TBC football on the 21-20 win.  Combined score in TBC's three previous losses: 182-6.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

fulbakdad

Titan, I would have.  But I'm a retired LEO, not a college coach!  lol.