WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

That's on the Carroll broadcasters, then. They said that the quartet in question had elected not to play, not that they had stopped playing.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Thanks for that clarification. The fact that they did a new team photo of the current 12 player roster suggests that the separation was not the friendliest.
Augustana is probably now onboard a bus on the way to Decatur for the 2pm game. Then either later today or tomorrow, a (six hour?) ride to Memphis for a Sunday 7pm contest. I guess they could go part way this evening and part tomorrow. At any rate, lots of bus riding to be enjoyed over the next few days. I wonder how many of this generation of players look out the window as they ride a bus. Most of them probably sleep or stare at their phones. Maybe not all, one can hope.

Gregory Sager

I've been on plenty of buses with North Park teams over the past decade, as I used to broadcast a lot of NPU football road games, and a few NPU men's basketball and women's basketball road games as well. The number of student-athletes that I can recall as looking out a window comes comes to exactly zero. A few of them talk (especially when they first get on the bus), lots of 'em sleep (especially if it's a long ride), some of them study, and when they would show movies on the football buses some of the players would watch them.

But the most common activity -- and it's not even close, really -- is looking at one's phone. If you were to ask anyone who's been on a bus with college students in recent years, whether it's for a sports road trip or a choir tour or for any other sort of off-campus activity, you'd hear the same thing. Since the members of the younger generation spend the better part of their lives staring at their phones, why should it be any different when they're stuck on a long bus ride?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Roundball999

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 15, 2018, 11:41:31 AM
I've been on plenty of buses with North Park teams over the past decade, as I used to broadcast a lot of NPU football road games, and a few NPU men's basketball and women's basketball road games as well. The number of student-athletes that I can recall as looking out a window comes comes to exactly zero. A few of them talk (especially when they first get on the bus), lots of 'em sleep (especially if it's a long ride), some of them study, and when they would show movies on the football buses some of the players would watch them.

But the most common activity -- and it's not even close, really -- is looking at one's phone. If you were to ask anyone who's been on a bus with college students in recent years, whether it's for a sports road trip or a choir tour or for any other sort of off-campus activity, you'd hear the same thing. Since the members of the younger generation spend the better part of their lives staring at their phones, why should it be any different when they're stuck on a long bus ride?

Agreed, though in my experience sleep time is close to phone time depending on length of trip.

Though it's different than when I was younger, I try not to assume that looking at the phone is necessarily a bad thing.  No one just looks at a phone, its a means to something else.  Often its texting (communicating with someone - not a bad thing); can be reading a novel, blog newspaper or textbook; often its watching a movie or looking through online song catalogs.  I definitely don't like it when it's done too often in a group social setting like a dinner out, but for a long bus ride seems perfectly OK to me.

iwu70

RogK

Augie 75, Millikin 72.
AUG : Alexis Jones 20 pts, 9 rebs, 4 steals; Izzy Anderson 22 pts, 7 rebs, 4 steals; Mia Lambert scored 13 via 8 FG att; Scooter Lopez picked up 5 assists and 3 stls.
MIL : Aubrey Staton 27 pts, 10 rebs; Yanni Saddler 19 pts, 4 assists; Jordan Hildebrand 7 pts, 9 rebs.

RogK

Elmhurst 68, North Park 60 :
51 fouls in this game and 70 FT att (EC made 28/37 and NP made 22/33).
Elmhurst had 6 players score 8 or more, topped by Lisa Logan's 11. She also had 4 rebs and 3 stls.
The visiting Vikings were led in scoring by Jayla Johnson with 16 and Lauryn Alba Garner with 14.

Mr. Ypsi

Final from B'town:  IWU 86, Carroll 77.

Game was fairly close early on, as the Titans could not buy a 3-pointer (missed I believe their first five attempts.  Once they started connecting (6 for 7 in one stretch), they broke the game wide open, leading by as much as 26 early in the third.  Carroll refused to fold, and cut seriously into the lead against the bench, but the game was never in doubt after the middle of the second quarter.

iwu70

IWU over CC 86-77, in one that was never really in doubt.  The Titans leading at one point by 26.

Lots of time for the Titan pine-sitters tonight, with several full line-changes, giving the Titan fives of the future some good PT.

For IWU:
Anderson (playing much better now) 18
Hughes, tough on the boards, 17
Sosa 13
Merritt 10 and 11
Shanks 9

Titans shooting 45% from the field.

For CC:  -- a very young team with a very bright future.

Wichser 24 on 8 treys, a deadly long-range bomber
Stefka 17
Grubor 14

Titans go to 9-2, 4-0.

Next up, some sunny Southern California days . . . and games, after the holiday break.

Good game tonight, no post-exams' rust.

IWU'70

iwu70

Happy holidays Ypsi.  Hope you and all the family are well!  :)

Greetings from the Far Side.

'70

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on December 15, 2018, 07:39:51 PM
Happy holidays Ypsi.  Hope you and all the family are well!  :)

Greetings from the Far Side.

'70

Everyone doing well here.  Grandkids are getting pretty excited about Christmas (except, I suppose, for Oliver - but then he is not yet two months old!)  Son #2 is working hard on his masters' thesis - should graduate sometime late next spring (not bad for a guy about whom I used to joke that I had a defense attorney on speed-dial - maturation is wonderful to behold!)

Hope all is well in HK! ;D

RogK

Wheaton 78, North Central 54 :
28 players participated in the game, including 15 for Wheaton.
Wheaton got 22 pts from Hannah Frazier, 12 pts from Hannah Williams (from just 6 FG att), 9 rebs and 6 assists by Jordan Myroth and 9 rebs, 3 steals by Jill Berg.
Rebekah Foley's 10 pts (in 7:00) led North Central.

RogK

afternoon result from Kenosha : U of Chicago over Carthage 68-59; Maroons vs Reds.
the Lady Reds got 19 pts from Bailey Gilbert, 15 from Autumn Kalis, 4 blocks, 2 steals, 5 rebs from Maggie Berigan.

RogK

Augustana 73, Rhodes 66 :
7/10 2FG, 0/1 3FG, 14/16 FT = a very efficient 28 pts for Izzy Anderson

iwu70

Titans at 9-2, 4-0 in a good place.  Have two games out west, playing at Whittier College near LA.  A little Southern California sunshine, just what the doctor ordered, escaping the Midwestern cold and snow.  Maybe a little time on Venice Beach!  Big game when back home vs. Wheaton on January 2nd, to set the tone for the rest of the CCIW race.  Titans really playing well, came out of this stretch of very tough opponents better than expected.  Lots of great basketball coming up in January and February.  Anderson and Hughes now playing better, Shanks settled in at PG.  Maddie Merritt having an all-conference season so far as an experienced senior.  Strong bench play, especially from Sosa and Brovelli. 

Happy holidays to the Titans, Titan fans, and all the chatsters here on the Board.

IWU'70