D3 Women's Soccer 2017 Season

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, August 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

Cal Lutheran and Pacific Lutheran are tied 1-1 after 90 minutes.  Heading to golden goal extra time.

deiscanton

Game ends tied at 1-1.  Heading to PKs to decide who plays Williams.

deiscanton

Cal Lutheran advances, 5-4 on PKs, to play Williams in the round of 16.

Update-- corrected line by box score result.  The video feed incorrectly said 6-5, but my own count said 5-4.  I was wondering as I was watching the video stream last night where I missed a round of PKs, but the feed was incorrect.  Really late night staying up watching that game.

deiscanton

NCAA will release their sectional hosts on the women's side this morning.

The NCAA, through their official printable bracket, has announced that North Park, Chicago, Messiah, and Tufts will be hosting men's sectionals next weekend.

Based on this information, my projected women's sectional hosts are:

TCNJ, UW- La Crosse, William Smith, and Williams.

Update--

NCAA has picked Chicago, TCNJ, William Smith and Williams to host women's sectionals this upcoming weekend.

Chicago will probably host the men's sectionals on Friday and Saturday afternoon, while the Chicago women's sectional will probably be on Friday and Saturday evening-- in accordance with the priority rules set for this weekend.

Chicago's successful hosting of both men's and women's pods over the weekend probably gave the NCAA confidence that Chicago could pull off hosting both men's and women's sectionals this weekend as well. 

The Wheaton IL women and the Calvin men do not play on Sundays for religious reasons, therefore both Chicago sectionals must be played this upcoming Friday and Saturday.

2xfaux

Friday will be a busy soccer day in Chicago.  Have the men and women played sectionals at the same site before?  Maybe at Messiah but I am not sure.  I think Chicago has a good shot at bringing home both the men's and women's trophies.  Again, I am not sure but I think only Messiah has done that in the past.  It should be an exciting weekend everywhere.   

Jim Matson

It will indeed be a great soccer weekend in Chicago. North Park hosts, and Chicago hosts the women (early matches), and the men (late matches).

I doubt that this has ever happened in NCAA soccer history; three sectionals within 20 miles of each other.

Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

CarpIsNotAFish

Any upset predictions for today or Saturday?

My pick is the 1.5 goal underdog Lynchburg over undefeated TCNJ.

WUPHF

Absolutely miserable conditions in Chicago as far as I can tell.  45 degrees, 10-15 mph winds and raining.

Chicago defeated Wheaton 2-0.  No surprise there.

UW-Lax just scored on Washington University to go up 1-0 early in the second half.

WUPHF

UW-Lax scored an insurance goal with 10 minutes left.  Washington University responded with a long distance strike by Hannah Menard.  Lax leads 2-1 with 9 minutes left. #miracleneeded

WUPHF

Congratulations to the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on the 2-1 win.

Washington University had the better of the play as far as I can tell (watched intermittently), but such is soccer.

PlaySimple

Quote from: WUH on November 17, 2017, 03:44:04 PM

Chicago defeated Wheaton 2-0.  No surprise there.

In looking at the  box of Chicago vs Wheaton, it seems that the Maroons didn't have a lot of problems dispatching Wheaton. What surprised me most about the game was the shot count. Wheaton only had 1 shot the entire game. Chicago had 15 shots with 6 on frame. I thought that Wheaton would give Chicago a bit more of a challenge. The 15 shots that Chicago had, while a lot, might be a little on the low side for them, though. I'm wondering why Wheaton's stud frosh forward Isabelle Oliver, the CCIW newcomer of the year, didn't play. Anyone? I don't think her presence would have changed the outcome of the game but Wheaton may have had a few more shots and possibly even put 1 on the scoreboard. She is a difference maker.

Chicago taking it to UW-LaCrosse today.

In the American Regional today, Ohio Northern beat William Smith, 1-0, in OT. The OT period was only 23 seconds in. Some may view this as a big surprise but ONU has a solid side. Last week in ONU's 2-0 win over Illinois Wesleyan, they out-shot the Titans, 19-6. That is pretty impressive given IWU's stout defense. IWU did have a few season-ending injuries but that is still impressive.

deiscanton

National semifinals in Greensboro on NCAA.com today-- you will need the NCAA Sports App to watch these games on a mobile tablet or smartphone.

The app is not needed if you are watching these games on a laptop.

Dave McHugh is in Greensboro with the call.

1.). Chicago vs TCNJ-- 11 AM Eastern.
2.). Williams vs Hardin-Simmons

Winners play tomorrow for the national title.

Two great games coming today to start the day in Greensboro before the men play this evening.

deiscanton

Chicago 1 TCNJ 0 at halftime.

Dave McHugh and Ira Thor on the call on NCAA.com

Chicago goal in the 6th minute from Hannah Watkins-- assist from Madori Spiker.

Chicago's first half keeper, Katie Donovan, was subbed due to injury midway through the half.  Miranda Malone, who is the Chicago keeper for second halves and extra time, finished the first half and will be the keeper for the rest of the game.

Natural grass pitch is perfectly cut with lots of "curling" circles on it.  Field slopes a little bit at the ends, according to the live stream.

deiscanton

Final score from semifinal #1-- Chicago 1 TCNJ 0

Chicago Maroons advance to their second ever national title game.  They will attempt to become the first UChicago team to win a national championship in any d3 sport tomorrow when they face either Williams or Hardin-Simmons.

Update-- Semifinal #2 starts at 1:50 PM Eastern on NCAA.com

WUPHF

Congratulations to Chicago.

I did not get to watch, but the Chicago Maroons Twitter feed has a slow-motion video of the Watkins goal which is definitely worth watching: https://twitter.com/ChicagoMaroons