Rowan
Messiah

FINAL
Calvin
Messiah

CHAMPION:
Messiah

wingtips2

Loving seeing the NJAC shut out of the Sweet 16.
Also loved seeing the three 'other' NESCAC schools get bounced early - just wish the other two could have joined them.

Predictions for the weekend:
Calvin over Chicago
MHB over Emory
Calvin over MHB

W&L over NP
Otterbein over StT
Otterbein over W&L

JHU over Tufts
Drew over Brandeis
JHU over Drew

Messiah over Stevens
Rochester over Amherst
Messiah over Rochester

Stay warm this weekend!

franklyspeaking

Why such hate for the NJAC and NESCAC?

Shooter McGavin

Shooter's Sweet 16 Predictions
NP over W&L 2-1
St. Thomas over Otterbein 3-1
Calvin over Chicago 2-2 (PK's 4-3)
Emory over MHB 1-0
Tufts over Hopkins 2-1 OT
Brandeis over Drew 4-2
Messiah over Stevens 3-0
Amherst over UR 2-1 2OT

NESCAC43

Predictions:
North Park over W&L 2-0
St. Thomas over Otterbein 2-1
Chicago over Calvin 1-0 OT
Emory over MHB 3-1
Tufts over JHU 3-0
Brandeis over Drew 2-1
Messiah over Stevens 1-0
Rochester over Amherst 2-1 2OT

Mr.Right

Which Sweet 16 matchup have the most goals in it?

Just a total guess but it seems like Washington & Lee at North Park could be based on prior results...

Which Sweet 16 matchup(s) will have 0 goals in 110 minutes?

My guess would be either Tufts v Hopkins or Brandeis v Drew..

jknezek

Quote from: franklyspeaking on November 16, 2017, 08:03:22 AM
Why such hate for the NJAC and NESCAC?

In the NESCAC's case, when you are on top of the mountain everyone wants to knock you down. For the NJAC I think it's some of the above but more the rough and tumble style reputation. These conferences tend to get the benefit of the doubt of being good, and tend to get more than a handful of at-larges. So there is probably more than a little schadenfreude when they don't live up to it.

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 16, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

My vote goes for Rochester-Amherst. Neither team has been particularly exceptional defensively, but both can score goals (even if their results this past weekend weren't barnburners).

Mid-Atlantic Fan

MAF Predictions
NP over W&L 1-1 (PKs 5-4)
St. Thomas over Otterbein 3-2
Calvin over Chicago 2-1 OT
MHB over Emory 2-1
Tufts over Hopkins 1-0 OT
Brandeis over Drew 2-1
Messiah over Stevens 1-0 2OT
Amherst over UR 2-0

2xfaux

I am not sure who will win these games but I am pretty sure this is the only sports board where someone said schadenfreude.  Great word and I think you are absolutely right. 

jknezek

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 16, 2017, 02:35:22 PM
I am not sure who will win these games but I am pretty sure this is the only sports board where someone said schadenfreude.  Great word and I think you are absolutely right.
Glad to entertain. Now I hope my boys can defy all these predictions and win at least one more game, tying their best ever finish.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 16, 2017, 02:35:22 PM

Good thing you didn't bet on that. I used that word in the CCIW football room on Monday:

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 13, 2017, 06:49:14 PMYep. I echo your welcome to robertthebruce50, but he needs to know that the older non-Augie posters who were around during Augie's heyday aren't the least bit sorry to see Augie get some of the ol' what-goes-around-comes-around, and may actually be enjoying a touch of schadenfreude at Augustana's gridiron ineptitude. I like to think that every smile on the face of a North Park supporter at the end of the game in Rock Island two weeks ago erased the cleat-mark scars from the chest of a random former North Park defensive player that he'd gotten in an encounter with Bob Reade's Wing-T offense.

Quote from: jknezek on November 16, 2017, 03:12:00 PM
Glad to entertain. Now I hope my boys can defy all these predictions and win at least one more game, tying their best ever finish.

I don't take any of these predictions seriously, jknezek, and I doubt that you do, either. NPU and W&L are total strangers to each other, and it's hard to know what to expect. I did watch the overtimes of the Oglethorpe @ W&L match last weekend (man, is that a breathtaking view from your soccer stadium), but I'm not foolish enough to think that it gave me any real sort of a primer on the Generals. As for NPU ... well, nobody here other than me is an expert on the Vikings, no matter how much of a snippet of one match they happened to see, and nobody's going to take me as anything but a highly-biased partisan, anyway, so why should I bother?

You likely want your boys to win just as badly as I want NPU to prevail, so let's just mutually hope that NPU and W&L play an entertaining, clean, and injury-free match.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jknezek

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 16, 2017, 03:33:00 PM
I don't take any of these predictions seriously, jknezek, and I doubt that you do, either. NPU and W&L are total strangers to each other, and it's hard to know what to expect. I did watch the overtimes of the Oglethorpe @ W&L match last weekend (man, is that a breathtaking view from your soccer stadium), but I'm not foolish enough to think that it gave me any real sort of a primer on the Generals. As for NPU ... well, nobody here other than me is an expert on the Vikings, no matter how much of a snippet of one match they happened to see, and nobody's going to take me as anything but a highly-biased partisan, anyway, so why should I bother?

You likely want your boys to win just as badly as I want NPU to prevail, so let's just mutually hope that NPU and W&L play an entertaining, clean, and injury-free match.

Yes. The soccer facility came out really nice with the new upperclass housing and the mountains in the background. W&L has spent 20+ years doing much needed improvements to all the athletic facilities and as near as I can tell they have all been revamped or completely built new. As much as a college is ever done with building, the athletic facilities are probably done for a while with the opening last year of a brand new swimming and diving facility.

The two overtimes just looked like 2 tired teams banging the ball back and forth and trying to get lucky. It was not very good soccer. I did not get to watch the whole game and picked it up just after the last goal was scored. I know Ogelthorpe scored on 2 PKs and I think once from the run of play and that W&L had the lead 3 times before getting dragged back each time. Doesn't really sound like the best game.

Considering the pair of losses to Lynchburg and the hideous loss to Bridgewater, I'm pleased with how well W&L has done, though there is no doubt they got a break in hosting that pod. I have no idea how well they will do against North Park, but I just don't have the feeling about this W&L team that I did about the team last year or the 2000 team (to date myself quite badly!). I hope they can win, and I certainly hope for a good game, but I really have no expectations. They have achieved what I had hoped for when the bracket first came out.

lastguyoffthebench

lastguy Predictions
W&L over NP 2-1
St. Thomas over Otterbein 2-1
Calvin over Chicago 3-1
Emory over MHB 2-0
Tufts over Hopkins 2-0
Drew over Brandeis  1-1 PKs
Messiah over Stevens 3-1
Amherst over UR 2-1

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on November 16, 2017, 11:39:46 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 16, 2017, 11:35:47 AM

My vote goes for Rochester-Amherst. Neither team has been particularly exceptional defensively, but both can score goals (even if their results this past weekend weren't barnburners).

You could be right but i think the opposite will happen. Amherst will play it cautious for about 70 minutes and in the mean time stifle any UR attacking hopes. Basically. Amherst will dictate the flow of play as they usually do to a point of ugliness that UR has not seen all year playing those skilled / attacking UAA sides. However, Messiah's field might give UR more room to maneuver and spread Amherst out a bit. I am just picturing Amherst sitting very compact and holding their shape as to allow UR nothing. Both teams will be giving the ball away all night and we will have a nice Ping-Pong battle. In turn the flow of the game will be miserable and ugly and just be a massive battle in the air. This is where your O/U  5 YC might be a good call.