UAA 2018

Started by WUPHF, June 09, 2018, 09:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

That was so careless by Brandeis to basically hand the game to UR. First whoever was at Hatfield lazily tracked UR player to set this whole debacle up. He was jogging and that is unacceptable. Then Irwin with such a careless ball. I thought he looked shaky at times and that punctuated it all off. Sloppy stuff..Honestly the jogging at midfield and not caring about tracking the UR player pissed me off more than Irwin's bonehead play. Nevertheless it is a given Margolis will not sleep tonight. You do not deserve to win if you are as sloppy as that.

PaulNewman

And Emory goes down again....NYU scores in 81st minutes and then GK makes 2 saves off corners with 5 minutes left and then another one with 5 secs left.

Buck O.

Quote from: WUPHF on October 12, 2018, 06:30:08 PM
Case is leading Washington University 1-0 with 20 minutes left.

I am flipping between work and the game and every time I do, the Bears have possession.  The Spartans are breaking everything up.   I must have missed the Case goal and the eight shots they have.

In the first half, WashU had the majority of the possession--but in their own third and the middle third.  They had little success getting the ball into the attacking third, and when they did, they had no success at all in creating any chances, or even half chances.   There was a period of several minutes midway through the half where Case created most of its opportunities, and that's when the goal happened.  Martin came out to the right side of his goal to defend a shot that hit the post, but it rebounded in front of the goal, where a Case player was waiting to scoop it up.  The only player in position to defend for WashU was a field player, and that didn't turn out well.

As the advantage in the shots taken would suggest, the second half was almost all WashU, with only one exception I can think of when a Case player got behind the backs on a counter.  The Bears were more assertive and were able to create some decent opportunities--I recall one ball in particular that Ryan Sproule was just able to get his foot onto in the box, but he wasn't able to hit it with enough pace to beat the keeper--but none of them were tremendous chances and so it wound up 1-0.

PaulNewman

Seems counter-intuitive but the brutal UAA schedules don't necessarily sink a team's bid chances.  Emory could go to 0-4 in the conference today and 0-4-1 in last five and STILL land on their feet.  Eagles have 3 likely ranked already and should get to at least 4-5 ranked wins by the end (not counting if Oglethorpe or Berry end up ranked). 

Brandeis has at least 2-3 ranked wins already and also could get to at least 4-5 even with another loss today.  I could see the Judges end up 5-5-1 on RvR which with their usual very high SoS will make them interesting at selection time.

Long way of saying that some of what seem like "must win" situations may not be.

Buck O.

WashU and CMU tied 1-1 at the half.  WashU started off on the back foot as the Tartans dominated the first 20 minutes and scored on a header by Elliott Cohen, who slipped behind the Bears' back line.  But then, after nearly scoring on a point blank header, WashU seemed revitalized and was the better team for the remainder of the half, scoring when Ryan Sproule went streaking down the right flank and finished from a sharp angle.

NEsoccerfan

Brandeis has been ALL over Emory this second half. Emory will be lucky to leave Waltham with a tie here if things keep up.

NEsoccerfan

Brandeis D1 transfer Nardizzi misses 2 golden opportunities late in the first OT.

Buck O.

WashU wins 2-1 in the first minute of the second OT, off a rebound  following a cross from the right.  Fittingly, both goals scored by the Sproule brothers in their home town.

NEsoccerfan

Brandeis gets the well-deserved win in the last 30 seconds of the second overtime after a few poor clearances from Emory. Kudos to Emory for battling hard, but Brandeis was the better team today.

PaulNewman

Congrats to CWRU....huge win, including for NCAA bid as sitting pretty in Great Lakes...two big wins since loss to NYU.

UR gets 6 points on the weekend just like CWRU with two wins in 2 OTs.

Tough weekend for CMU.

Brandeis stays alive.

DagarmanSpartan

Case men's soccer just knocked of NUMBER ONE ranked Chicago.

https://athletics.case.edu/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20181014kj0ydy

This gives CWRU FOUR wins over Top 25 teams and two wins over Top Ten teams this season.

WUPHF

Quote from: Buck O. on October 14, 2018, 01:20:17 PM
WashU wins 2-1 in the first minute of the second OT, off a rebound  following a cross from the right.  Fittingly, both goals scored by the Sproule brothers in their home town.

Thanks for the update from Friday and the updates from today. I did not get to watch the Men's game but was home in time for the Women's game. 

Buck O.

Quote from: WUPHF on October 14, 2018, 03:58:49 PM
Quote from: Buck O. on October 14, 2018, 01:20:17 PM

Thanks for the update from Friday and the updates from today. I did not get to watch the Men's game but was home in time for the Women's game.

You're welcome!  Five teams are within two points in the UAA with three games to go.  It should be an exciting finish.

PaulNewman

Probably somewhat under the radar very good win on the road for Rochester at Endicott (with the Gulls highly motivated to get a result).

PaulNewman

Random question....how do the teams that need to fly (Emory, Wash U, etc) get to Rochester.  I presume there are no direct flights.  Is the typical connection Cleveland, NYC, Columbus, I assume not a lot of directs to Buffalo either?  I also would guess that CWRU and CMU drive, but that's a long ride for Brandeis and NYU.