WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calhsu

I am really blown away that the Cowgirls went on the court in that situation and kept it together at all.   

Still no excues.  HPU won and that will never change.

But I am even more convinced now than before.  Given a third game,  HSU by 10.   I may not always been right but at lest I'm consistent.   Hopefully not consistently wrong.

Inthepaint,  I am going on a pastor's tour of the seven cites of revelation,  and Troy and finishing up in Istanbul.

dballa

Check out the new poll http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/

ASC has 4 teams in the Top 25. 

mcmfan

The poll seems screwy.  It seems to me all three ASC West women's teams should have the same ranking.  McMurry is in first place in the ASC West by only 2 points -- its margin of victory over Mississippi College at the start of the season.  Without those two points, there would be a 3-way tie right now.  Otherwise, McM, HSU, and HPU have all beaten the same teams and have a win/loss each with each other.  Momentum would give the lead to HPU, or holding up in the face of tragedy to HSU.

After what has happened with two deaths impacting on the season, I'm really looking forward to all of this being over.  As others have said, who wins or loses becomes of little import in the perspective of these larger issues.
Alacumba!

dsc

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

dballa

I don't have any scores out of Alpine yet, anxiously awaiting word on the games but out of Mississippi.... La College 71 MC 70.  Thats huge as far as momentum goes for MC into the conference tourney.  Losing 3 games late in conference.

jmnaseum

Final from Alpine -- HPU won 66-33  (It was a 9 point game at halftime)

dballa

Thanks for the score from Alpine.

Ralph Turner

My vote for biggest win in the ASC-East is

LC 71,  MC 70 in the Golden Dome!

nash

You're right Ralph.  I wasn't at the game but I talked to someone who was and they said it seemed if MC's head wasn't in it.  Natalie Jordan was injured in the early part of the game, status unknown.  I was at the ETBU game last Saturday and it looked like they were back on track, but now we'll see.

fanstand

I think it is hard for everyone's head to be in every game right now. We have to get by these last two games and not look ahead to the tourney. I think McM feels a new life and will take care of business this week and be ready for the trip to Mississippi. No one can afford to slack right here even if they are in the tourney with playoff bids coming up. I think the only teams that advance are the conference champ and the runner up if everyone wins out this week. I'm still in McM court, I know they can win the tournament. Player for player, I still feel they have the best team.

inthepaint

Quote from: jmnaseum on February 13, 2006, 09:25:12 PM
Final from Alpine --

Gym Rat, what in the world have you done in days-gone-by to have garnered a -6 in the Karma Rating?  :o  Good gosh, man, that has to be a record!  Actually, I'm proud of you for having the ability to be a burr under a good number of saddle blankets! ;)

I looked back through old posts and see nothing with spite or significant attitude.  So, my hat is off to you!   ;D

calhsu

Ralph,  If the playoff were this weekend,  I know that MCM would be the #1 seed from the west.  Who would be second and third?

I would have to say I am a little more concerned about the MHB game for HSU  than I would have been before the weekends loss and I don't mean the game.    The team would be more likely to be in heavy grief now  than they were on Saturday.  I'm sure they were in shock saturday and really just did what they had to.  (Still no excues for the loss.)
About the polls.   The polls are not about the short term.  They are not even just about this year.  Every year HSU is going to get votes because of what they put on the court year in and year out.  On a given year unless they lose more than four or five games they will be in the top 25.  Look how long it took MCM to get any respect,  if HSU had that start they would have been ranked in the top five before they lost a game.   And that is not to say anything about HPU.

The playoffs don't care about last week or last year.  Win you go, and lose your gone.  I do agree that the top two teams for the playoffs will go.  Unless the second team was a freak winner of the first to playoffs,  one of the teams not in the top four of the ASC.   MCM could have a small chance if they were not in the top two.

sethhpu

calhsu,

I don't know if I agree with your thoughts on polls. The polls, in my opinion, should be based strictly on the year in progress. Yes some teams are going to get votes based on the program. I think HSU benefits from having a good program so they automatically get votes because they have that respect. Now do they always deserve the votes? That is not my call, nor will I touch the subject. It is not that HSU doesn't deserve the votes, but I think some votes are based on the program's history and not the current team's success.  This year obviously HSU deserves votes as does McM and HPU, obviously all three teams are extremely good. I agree you have to earn the respect, but sometimes the respect for a certain team overlooks their record for the current year. Just my take.
Defense wins championships

Ralph Turner

Quote from: calhsu on February 14, 2006, 12:19:23 PM
Ralph,  If the playoff were this weekend,  I know that MCM would be the #1 seed from the west.  Who would be second and third?

I understand the conference by-laws to say that HSU gets the #2 seed by virtue of the advantage in the point differential, 3 pts to 2 pts (up to a "max" of 10 pts.)

http://www.americansouthwestconf.org/pdffiles/policy-tiebreaker-allsports.pdf

I would have to say I am a little more concerned about the MHB game for HSU  than I would have been before the weekends loss and I don't mean the game.    The team would be more likely to be in heavy grief now  than they were on Saturday.  I'm sure they were in shock saturday and really just did what they had to.  (Still no excues for the loss.)
About the polls.   The polls are not about the short term.  They are not even just about this year.  Every year HSU is going to get votes because of what they put on the court year in and year out.  On a given year unless they lose more than four or five games they will be in the top 25.  Look how long it took MCM to get any respect,  if HSU had that start they would have been ranked in the top five before they lost a game.   And that is not to say anything about HPU.

I believe that HSU is getting points in the Polls because of history of being a strong competitive playoff team, and this year's record is giving no reason to suspect otherwise.

I believe that McMurry is getting poll points because they lead the ASC-West, historically a strong division/conference.  

HPU is also getting the same consideration.  (MissColl had been as well.)  My hope is that the ASC be known that its leader is perennially is a Top-10 calibre team.

The playoffs don't care about last week or last year.  Win you go, and lose your gone.  I do agree that the top two teams for the playoffs will go.  Unless the second team was a freak winner of the first to playoffs,  one of the teams not in the top four of the ASC.   MCM could have a small chance if they were not in the top two.

Well, sethhpu and I are somewhat saying the same thing,  but a conference's reputation for quality play can sustain itself as long as all teams are contributing to that reputation.

sethhpu

Ralph,

What do you think the max # of bids the ASC will get. I think all four top 25 deserve it, but the regional rankings and NCAA I'm sure will say otherwise. Is it possible that we could get 3 bids?
Defense wins championships