FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: tweisman5 on September 28, 2019, 12:51:08 AM
A big concern for my Mustangs has been the 20 sacks allowed through three games. I can pinpoint a portion of the issue to the new QB sometimes holding the ball too long, but I suspect as the season progresses and he settles into the offense that number will improve.

I see Del Val's biggest issue being their DBs struggling to hold their own against good passing teams. If they get knocked off, it will be due to struggles against a pass heavy team. As of today I only see them losing one game sometime during a tough October stretch or Widener in November.

Wilkes is a team I'm watching to make some noise in the MAC race heading into November. I look forward to following their progress as I'm impressed with the progression they've made since the start of last season.

I had them on my ERFP ballot last week, but removed them as their win against Lycoming doesn't look all to great after Lycoming's loss to King's. Nevertheless, I can see them get to 5-0 with a big matchup mid October against Delaware Valley. Not sure how they will fair after that matchup as their schedule is back loaded.

I'm also looking into this Widener vs. Stevenson game as well. Widener loss to Lycoming looks like one of those  ??? type games and Stevenson's losses look better and better as both Delaware Valley and Bridgewater continue to win.

gordonmann

Yep, big couple of weeks here. Del Val has to go to Lycoming which is always a tough trip.

G-manWU

Quote from: MANDGSU on September 30, 2019, 10:49:54 AM
A big concern for my Mustangs has been the 20 sacks allowed through three games. I can pinpoint a portion of the issue to the new QB sometimes holding the ball too long, but I suspect as the season progresses and he settles into the offense that number will improve.

I see Del Val's biggest issue being their DBs struggling to hold their own against good passing teams. If they get knocked off, it will be due to struggles against a pass heavy team. As of today I only see them losing one game sometime during a tough October stretch or Widener in November.

Wilkes is a team I'm watching to make some noise in the MAC race heading into November. I look forward to following their progress as I'm impressed with the progression they've made since the start of last season.

I had them on my ERFP ballot last week, but removed them as their win against Lycoming doesn't look all to great after Lycoming's loss to King's. Nevertheless, I can see them get to 5-0 with a big matchup mid October against Delaware Valley. Not sure how they will fair after that matchup as their schedule is back loaded.

I'm also looking into this Widener vs. Stevenson game as well. Widener loss to Lycoming looks like one of those  ??? type games and Stevenson's losses look better and better as both Delaware Valley and Bridgewater continue to win.

Great to see the Colonels getting some good recognition for a strong start. I've only seen one game in person (at Lycoming), but I am planning to be at the homecoming game vs. Alvernia this weekend.

I think one of the keys to the team playing better this season is improved line play on both sides of the ball, particularly on offense with the running game. It adds a dimension of balance that has also helps fine-tune the passing game.

Still a long way to go, but the Colonels get both Del Val and Stevenson at home, and play one one more game (at Albright) outside of the Wyoming Valley for the rest of the regular season. The team has grown and improved; I am eager to see how they stack up against some of the traditional powers coming up.

tweisman5

Below are my week 5 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 5 Predictions

Albright @ FDU (-0.5): Albright wins by 3

Del Val (-20.5) @ Lycoming: Del Val wins by 20

Alvernia @ Wilkes (-29.5): Wilkes wins by 27

King's (-7.5) @ Misericordia: King's wins by 10

Widener @ Stevenson (-7.5): Stevenson wins by 7

Week 5 Rankings
1. Del Val (3-1, 2-0)
2. Stevenson (2-2, 1-1)
3. Widener (3-1, 2-0)
4. King's (3-0, 1-0)
5. Wilkes (3-0, 1-0)
6. Lycoming (1-3, 0-2)
7. Misericordia (1-1, 1-0)
8. Leb Val (1-3, 1-1)
9. FDU (1-3, 0-2) 
10. Albright (0-3, 0-1)
11. Alvernia (1-3, 0-2)

Prediction Record
Last Week: 5-0 (1.000)
Season: 18-10 (.643)
Career: 111-46 (.707)
Go Mustangs!

tweisman5

I'm looking forward as well to the Widener vs. Stevenson game as it could be a good resume addition for my Mustangs if they get the win. So far their only wins have been against opponents with losing records. The two loses; however, have been against two quality top 40 opponents.
Go Mustangs!

tweisman5

Quote from: G-manWU on October 02, 2019, 11:30:09 PM

Great to see the Colonels getting some good recognition for a strong start. I've only seen one game in person (at Lycoming), but I am planning to be at the homecoming game vs. Alvernia this weekend.

I think one of the keys to the team playing better this season is improved line play on both sides of the ball, particularly on offense with the running game. It adds a dimension of balance that has also helps fine-tune the passing game.

Still a long way to go, but the Colonels get both Del Val and Stevenson at home, and play one one more game (at Albright) outside of the Wyoming Valley for the rest of the regular season. The team has grown and improved; I am eager to see how they stack up against some of the traditional powers coming up.

Wilkes does have a challenging finish to the season, but I do believe they have found the right coach that has them on the right track. More teams in contention makes the race more entertaining to follow!
Go Mustangs!

tweisman5

Below are my week 6 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 6 Predictions

FDU @ Leb Val (-1.5): Leb Val wins by 3

Lycoming (-31.5) @ Alvernia: Lycoming wins by 21

Wilkes (-7.5) @ Albright: Wilkes wins by 14

King's @ Del Val (-23.5): Del Val wins by 21

Misericordia @ Widener (-6.5): Widener wins by 3

Week 6 Rankings
1. Del Val (4-1, 3-0)
2. Stevenson (3-2, 2-1)
3. Wilkes (4-0, 2-0)
4. Misericordia (2-1, 2-0)
5. King's (3-1, 1-1)
6. Widener (3-2, 2-1)
7. Lycoming (1-4, 0-3)
8. Leb Val (1-3, 1-1)
9. FDU (2-3, 1-2) 
10. Albright (0-4, 0-2)
11. Alvernia (1-4, 0-3)

Prediction Record
Last Week: 3-2 (.600)
Season: 21-12 (.636)
Career: 114-48 (.704)
Go Mustangs!

kate

Seems strange that all three of the Centennial Schools in the top 25 had a bye this week, and yet Muhlenberg moves up one.   On the other hand Del Val, who maybe didn't have their best game against King's, but won, slipped three spots???    Go Aggies

Pat Coleman

Quote from: kate on October 13, 2019, 05:58:21 PM
Seems strange that all three of the Centennial Schools in the top 25 had a bye this week, and yet Muhlenberg moves up one.   On the other hand Del Val, who maybe didn't have their best game against King's, but won, slipped three spots???    Go Aggies

Other things also happened, though.

Bethel lost, and fell behind Muhlenberg.
Wesley lost, and fell a few spots. (Notable because Delaware Valley lost to Wesley.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

kate

Thank you Pat - also, while i'm on here, have to compliment Gordon Mann for his great call of the Aggie games!   Much appreciated!

tweisman5

Below are my week 7 predictions and rankings. The spread (-#) is provided by Massey Ratings and the top 25 rankings are from the Hansen Ratings composite. Good luck to everyone this week!

Week 7 Predictions

Misericordia (-5.5) @ FDU: Misericordia wins by 7

Del Val (-23.5) @ Wilkes: Del Val wins by 13

Alvernia @ King's (-25.5): King's wins by 24

Leb Val @ Widener (-7.5): Widener wins by 10

Albright @ Stevenson (-26.5): Stevenson wins by 27

Week 7 Rankings
1. Del Val (5-1, 4-0)
2. Stevenson (3-2, 2-1)
3. Wilkes (5-0, 3-0)
4. Misericordia (3-1, 3-0)
5. King's (3-2, 1-2)
6. Widener (3-3, 2-2)
7. Lycoming (1-5, 0-4)
8. Leb Val (2-3, 2-1)
9. FDU (2-4, 1-3) 
10. Alvernia (2-4, 1-3)
11. Albright (0-5, 0-3)

Prediction Record
Last Week: 3-2 (.600)
Season: 24-14 (.667)
Career: 117-50 (.700)
Go Mustangs!

jmcozenlaw

I did NOT expect THAT game from Wilkes, at home nonetheless. Four first downs for the entire game. Under 100 total yards of offense (when backing out the meaningless end of game yardage). If DelVal hadn't shot themselves in the foot on three or four possessions, they could have put up 70.

Drach is quite pissed as a few of the players provided DelVal with some prime bulletin board material leading up to this game. I'd say that the extra motivation wasn't necessary........but you could see it in some of the hits. Tabora played like an inexperienced freshman vs. a four year starter at QB. He was shockingly bad. Even the Wilkes fans around us had never seen him play this poorly. He looked tentative and was in self protection mode way too early in the game. They literally had no running game whatsoever.

G-ManWU, you've got to tell me what you hear from your inside sources as this had to be a stunner to anybody involved with the program.

G-manWU

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 19, 2019, 05:51:16 PM

I did NOT expect THAT game from Wilkes, at home nonetheless. Four first downs for the entire game. Under 100 total yards of offense (when backing out the meaningless end of game yardage). If DelVal hadn't shot themselves in the foot on three or four possessions, they could have put up 70.

Drach is quite pissed as a few of the players provided DelVal with some prime bulletin board material leading up to this game. I'd say that the extra motivation wasn't necessary........but you could see it in some of the hits. Tabora played like an inexperienced freshman vs. a four year starter at QB. He was shockingly bad. Even the Wilkes fans around us had never seen him play this poorly. He looked tentative and was in self protection mode way too early in the game. They literally had no running game whatsoever.

G-ManWU, you've got to tell me what you hear from your inside sources as this had to be a stunner to anybody involved with the program.

I wish I knew you would be in the house jmcozenlaw; I would have looked for you!!! I was not hard to spot; you just needed to look for the guy sitting near the press box door rocking the 2005 Wilkes Football team pullover, with increasing amounts of gray showing in his hair  :-[

On the inside information, I have nothing to offer, as my time as an insider ended long ago. In terms of motivation, I would think the close call at home against King's would have served as much more of a factor for DVU than any trash talking done by players in the run up to the contest.

As for the game itself, I think pretty much every player on the Aggies roster was 2-3 times quicker than any player the Colonels have seen so far this season. They say speed kills; I think that was the biggest factor on both sides of the ball. The entire team was just...really fast.

Still lots for the Colonels to play for this season; to see the team secure a winning record and (hopefully) a postseason berth would be another great step forward. Not to mention the chance to go up against the two other local programs that have bedeviled Wilkes in recent years.

Last but not least, I admired the spirit of the DVU cheering section in the middle of the bleachers, but I would think that chanting "the best defense in the whole country" would get a bit tiring after four quarters. I admired the team spirit, but some of it was a bit...excessive, if I may say so  ::)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: G-manWU on October 20, 2019, 11:11:14 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 19, 2019, 05:51:16 PM

I wish I knew you would be in the house jmcozenlaw; I would have looked for you!!! I was not hard to spot; you just needed to look for the guy sitting near the press box door rocking the 2005 Wilkes Football team pullover, with increasing amounts of gray showing in his hair  :-[

On the inside information, I have nothing to offer, as my time as an insider ended long ago. In terms of motivation, I would think the close call at home against King's would have served as much more of a factor for DVU than any trash talking done by players in the run up to the contest.

As for the game itself, I think pretty much every player on the Aggies roster was 2-3 times quicker than any player the Colonels have seen so far this season. They say speed kills; I think that was the biggest factor on both sides of the ball. The entire team was just...really fast.

Still lots for the Colonels to play for this season; to see the team secure a winning record and (hopefully) a postseason berth would be another great step forward. Not to mention the chance to go up against the two other local programs that have bedeviled Wilkes in recent years.

Last but not least, I admired the spirit of the DVU cheering section in the middle of the bleachers, but I would think that chanting "the best defense in the whole country" would get a bit tiring after four quarters. I admired the team spirit, but some of it was a bit...excessive, if I may say so  ::)

GMan - I wish that we could have met in person. My bad! The DelVal fans do travel nicely, I'd say better than any of the other MAC schools. I was leading our "Whose House? Our House" chant as we tend to do at opposing stadiums. I agree with the speed thing BUT I've seen Tabora tear apart better Aggies defenses (particularly the quarterfinal team from 2017)..................he honestly looked like a shell of his former self. The Wilkes folks told me that he was 100% healthy.

I want to see the Aggies defense when they are 100% healthy (missing three impact starters), including #7's twin brother, another terror at the defensive end position. They have missed him since he injured his shoulder early in the season.

Wilkes has much to be proud of given the record to date. I do think they are light years behind the Stevenson's and DelVal's of the MAC though. It is funny to see the look on the other teams faces in the postgame huddle. DelVal does 50 pushup's as a team after the game........the opponents look over as if to say, "Jesus, aren't they spent yet?".

I still don't think that DelVal does much in the playoffs as two key injuries on the offensive line and an average running game will sink them.

I am blown away that next Saturday, if they win, they will break the all time MAC winning streak, at 26 in a row. They lost 9 defensive starters and 7 offensive starters from the 2017 championship team............and somehow, miraculously, it didn't hurt them in 2018, nor so far in 2019. Those coaches squeeze everything possible out of those players. Not the biggest. Not the strongest. Not the fastest (Stevenson and Widener are). But they play as a team and for each other.

Good luck to Wilkes the rest of the season. I hear that they are expecting huge things from the Men's Hoops team this year as well. Should be fun to watch.

Inkblot

Does anyone know the MAC tiebreaking rules? What happens if Delaware Valley and Misericordia both go 8-0?
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.