FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYfootball

Ithaca has a very good WR group, and they are all back. Gladney is a Sr. They lose 3 OL to graduation.

Their defense loses a lot, in the defensive backfield they lose every starter and the nickel and dime backs to graduation. They have a young FS with game experience. They lose one of two LBs, and most of their DL to graduation too. Their defense will have a lot of new faces this fall. In 2018 they were very good, so I'm sure there must be some drop off in 2019. They held teams all year, until the Bowl Game against Utica they struggled against the pass.

ITH radio

agree - 9 of the starters from the Utica game, only 2 are back. IC isn't the only LL school having to fill significant holes on defense however.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

As far as the Liberty League in 2019, I think the addition of Joey G. to the Ithaca offense might put them over the top. Here is my quick and dirty initial ranking based on last year( does not take into account recruits that could have an impact this year). Without disrespecting Buff State( I don't have comparative numbers since they were not in the LL last year), I have limited the teams in contention to RPI, Union,Ithaca and Hobart. SLU could be a surprise with a strong offense but I don't think so and The Yellow Jackets are still without a stinger until proven otherwise. The stats in parens are the record against the other "contenders" in 2018, points scored and yielded in those games and yards gained and yielded.

4. Union (1-2, 62-63,807-1005). Union's whole season was the Shoes game where they clobbered the Engineers 34-10, principally by forcing 5 turnovers. They had a close loss to Hobart and were dominated by Ithaca. Union has lost 3 starters on offense and 5 on defense and the losses of Linebackers  Reilly(D3 AA) and Ordukhanga( D3 East) are critical. Bellamy will still have two great receivers in Ross and Beal to throw to. So was the RPI game a fluke or indicative of where they may be 2019...we will see.

3. RPI (2-1, 51-67, 769- 1191) . Based on these numbers against the other contenders in 2018, and how successful RPI was in the playoffs, it makes the rest of the LL look pretty strong. RPI loses 5 starters on Offense and 6 starters on Defense. Losing some great LB's and CBs on defense and game changers Cella and Davies on offense seems like too much to make up. But this is a great coaching staff and don't be surprised if they overcome the loss of their starters.

2. Hobart(1-2, 56-69, 1,109- 1007). The Hobart ofense moved the ball better than anyone against the LL contenders, but they didn't convert enough of those yards into points against RPI or Ithaca. The Statesmen defense was on par with Unions but couldn't touch the Bombers stoppers. The good news for Hobart is that they only lose one starter from this efficient offense(Matt Woods , best TE in the LL) and their defense only loses 3 senior starters, with strong replacements that started some games and had substantial minutes. I think this is what Dominick DiRenzo saw when he ranked Hobart in the top 20 in Lindy's College Football...a very competitive team in 2018 against the top teams in the LL with the most returning talent. Also , in close games Hobart has the best kicking weapon in Kyle Hackett who went 37-37 on PATs and 9-9 in FGs.

1. Ithaca ( 2-1, 43-13, 950-578) In my opinion, Ithaca was the best team in the LL save the 10-9 loss to RPI where they outgained RPI 418 to 162.They had the best defense  seen in many years in the LL. Their offense wasn't too shabby either with the ever present threat of Will Gladney and a strong running attack much of the year. Unfortunately the Bombers lose 7 Starters from a defense that put all 11 starters on the All LL team from 1st team to HM. The good news is they only lose one consistent starter on offense and gain an all american at QB in Joey Germinerio via transfer. My reason for ranking IC No.1 is gaining Joe G and a tradition of recruiting and coaching solid defensive players that should fill the shoes of many of the graduations on defense. The IC games will be much closer this year as the defense gives up more points, but I think Joe G should put them over the top with his skills and experience in close games. Hobart, my no.2 team, has never won a game at Butterfield and I fear the addition of Joey G continues that string . However , if Hobart can reverse their Butterfield misfortunes, count on Hobart to get back into the NCAAs since giving Mount Union a scare deep into the third quarter in 2016 at THE BOZ.

Now, it is possible for any of these teams to "put it all together" and mess up this 'First look" forecast. I think it should be a great season with some great games. I will adjust this forecast based on errors I may have made in collecting data or "scrimmage insider info" based on new recruits , injury reports or for any reason at all.  Now we wait , BS some more and see how these teams compete outside the conference until the real games begin.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Machiavelli

But we all know, in d3 football, some stud skill position players can cover up a lot of holes, at least early on. If my calculations are correct, if Ithaca gives up an average of 7 more points per game this year, but scores 17 more per game, most games will be in their favor. But I need to update my spreadsheets to ensure that. Where is Rosenbagga when you need him. Logarithms like a MoFo.

Oline89

No doubt Joe G adds a whole new dimension to the Ithaca O.  The rest of the league can only hope that the thick turf and muck of Butterfield will slow him down.  For what it is worth, he had 11 rushes for 9 yards last year against IC.....credit to the IC defense.
Hobart has a bit of a QB controversy as well.  Senior starter Hoffman threw for almost 1700 yards, efficiency rating of 149.  So. Krewson  passed for 450 yards (29-57), ran for 175 on 31 attempts and was named second team LL "athlete".
The LL offenses will be on fire this year, best defense will end up deciding the champion

Ice Bear

Well dlip's mother****ing excited ;)
A long time fan of DIII Football!

NYfootball

Quote from: Oline89 on July 11, 2019, 02:57:45 PM
No doubt Joe G adds a whole new dimension to the Ithaca O.  The rest of the league can only hope that the thick turf and muck of Butterfield will slow him down.  For what it is worth, he had 11 rushes for 9 yards last year against IC.....credit to the IC defense.
Hobart has a bit of a QB controversy as well.  Senior starter Hoffman threw for almost 1700 yards, efficiency rating of 149.  So. Krewson  passed for 450 yards (29-57), ran for 175 on 31 attempts and was named second team LL "athlete".
The LL offenses will be on fire this year, best defense will end up deciding the champion

This is an interesting point- Joe G is used to turf, and a big part of his game is moving around extending the play 2 or 3 seconds looking for an open receiver or he runs it (he isn't a 'pocket' qb). Butterfield could mess with his style. Nabi will run but is more a pocket qb.

Machiavelli

Odd Fact: I always enjoyed the Ithaca posters and it was mostly why I ever read the E8 boards. Now that Ithaca is in the LL, it's so nice to see the 'New' icon next to the E8 and not really give 2 sh!ts about it. NESCAC on the other hand....Ugh.

Oline89

Hobart preseason schedule released today.  Looks like a scrimmage against Alfred scheduled for August 28.  It smelled like football camp outside to me today.  Anyone who knows the game recognizes that smell- heat, humidity mixed with mud and sweat, add a dash of dread with a full helping of excitement and you have the smell of preseason camp.

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on July 12, 2019, 01:54:49 PM
Hobart preseason schedule released today.  Looks like a scrimmage against Alfred scheduled for August 28.  It smelled like football camp outside to me today.  Anyone who knows the game recognizes that smell- heat, humidity mixed with mud and sweat, add a dash of dread with a full helping of excitement and you have the smell of preseason camp.
Oh to be a young again . Unfortunately, old football players just watch and throw a ball on the beach or a parking lot.....the smells, ah yes the smells :o, but the satisfaction of making a great hit is only a memory unless you are looking to be thrown in jail. I am jealous of the Hobart lacrosse alums, the Eldest Statesmen, they actually get to play competitively in tournaments...Lake Placid from August 7-9 this summer.GOOLDBART!
    Oline, where is the Alfred scrimmage being played?
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

At Alfred, in the evening
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

Quote from: ITH radio on July 12, 2019, 03:35:18 PM
Attended the JV game there last year, nice D3 venue in the middle of "Mayberry"....maybe Pep can bring the preseason Saxon Warrior pep band to the game ;D
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bartman on July 12, 2019, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on July 12, 2019, 03:35:18 PM
Attended the JV game there last year, nice D3 venue in the middle of "Mayberry"....maybe Pep can bring the preseason Saxon Warrior pep band to the game ;D

A Wednesday evening scrimmage in "The Pit" is the perfect storm to culminate Band Camp in Mayberry. The fact that the opponent happens to be Statesmen running around with pumpkin heads....exhilarating! Will need to play some Smashing Pumpkins.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bombers798891

Best case scenario for IC: The team figures out the ST and RZ puzzle, at least to where it no longer costs them games. The defense, while not the absolute wrecking crew it was last year, remains stout, and the talent in the passing game simply overwhelms opposing defenses. Ithaca rides a pretty easy opening schedule—5 of first 8 at home, including Hobart and Union, and their three road opponents went 4-25 last year. The Bombers are 8-0 heading into the RPI/Cortland gauntlet. They finally get past the Engineers, and beat Cortland. With a high seed and a playoff tested QB, they win two rounds in the playoffs, falling to one of the big boys in the quarters in a tightly contested battle to finish 12-1, their best season in 15 years.

Worst case scenario for IC: Hobart in 2017. We don't have to go too far back to find the time an elite pass-catching combo was supposed to carry the day in the LL and then it just...didn't. And if the Bombers defense has trouble replacing all its starters, and the ST don't improve, the margin for error could be thin. IC drops two of the three tough league games, and the Cortaca Jug—because, cliches aside, good luck predicting how that thing is gonna go—to go 7-3.

My gut says we're going to be closer to the former scenario. I'm going to bet on the talent IC has in the passing game, and their ability to reload on defense. Honestly, I also just really want MetLife to be this epic matchup, which just isn't going to happen if the teams are like, 5-4 and 7-2. Give me seventh-ranked IC at 9-0 and the 15th-ranked Dragons at 8-1, both heading to the playoffs, in front of 40,000 fans. Give me a offensive display that makes the 2017 Jug look like it was slow by comparison. Go big or go home

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Oline89 on June 24, 2019, 09:36:12 AM

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3. S Palmisano, JHU  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_J._Palmisano)
4.  B. Belichick, Wesleyan 
5.  D Shula, John Carroll
6.   G Steinbrenner, Williams
7. J Davis, Middlebury https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Davis_(businessman)
8.  J Cena, Springfield
9.  D McDonough, St Johns  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_McDonough)
10.  P Metzelaars, Wabash  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Metzelaars)
11 . Ken Anderson, Augustana
12. S Spinelli, McDaniels (https://www.babson.edu/president-elect/)
13. S Mills, Montclair St
14. L Fletcher, John Carroll
15. P Garcon, MU
16. D Jennings, SLU
17. R Myers, Wesley  (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/121504aah.html)
18. T Bozzuto, Hobart (https://www.bozzuto.com/leaders/thomas-s-bozzuto/)
19. M Patricia, RPI
20.  J Fish, Bowdoin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fish_(businessman))
21.  J Foley, Hobart  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Foley)
22.  N. Schacter, Alfred (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Schachter)
23.  D Mullen, Ursinus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mullen)

24. Grant Teaff, McMurry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Teaff)  Exec Director of American Football Coaches Association