East Region Fan Poll

Started by gobombers15, December 19, 2008, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

It looks like the East Region will have 7 bids to the NCAA tournament and are as follows:

1   Brockport St.  Pool A  SUNYAC automatic bid
2   RPI   Pool A Liberty League  automatic bid
3   Medaille  Pool A   Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference  automatic bid
4   RIT/Nazareth winner Pool A  Empire 8 automatic bid
5   SUNYIT/Wells winner  Pool A  North Eastern Athletic Conference automatic bid
6   Ithaca  Pool C  at large bid
7   St Lawrence  Pool C  at large bid

I think Hamilton is going to lose out because of all the upsets today to teams that would have been Pool A bids but have now been relegated to Pool C.( Like Ithaca)
After all the teams that should have been Pool A bids take the Pool C bids instead
that doesn't leave enough Pool C bids left for the East Region to get 3 Pool C's. There are simply too many good teams on the bubble. With 8 regions and only 18 Pool C at large bids there is no way that the East will get 3 of them. St Lawrence could even possibly get knocked out of the picture. The 1 good thing the Saints have going for them is that they will remain #2 in the final Regional rankings that come out later today(Sunday) but will not be seen by the public. No way Hamilton can leap over the Saints as they lost in the LL semifinals and the Saints own 2 head to head wins over them.  So for sure 6 teams but I think the Saints get in to give us the 7 bids. At least it's better than the 4 we had last year.

magicman

It is now several hours after I posted my list of NCAA bids and D3Hoops has just come out with their NCAA projections. Here's the link:

http://www.d3hoops.com/salem/09/projected.htm

As I expected the 7 East Region teams I listed are in and Hamilton gets left on the table. D3Hoops projects a 4 team pod with host Ithaca as a #1 seed facing the winner of the SUNYIT/Wells game. The other game will pit Amherst against Brandeis.

St. Lawrence will host another 4 team pod and face Brockport St. UM-Dartmouth will take on the NAZ/RIT winner.(Which they show as RIT. Pat must have a crystal ball)

RPI is an 8 seed and will travel to #1 seed Richard Stockton.

Medaille is also a #8 seed and will travel to the Cleveland Ohio region and face the #1 seed John Carroll.

The coveted 1st round bye has went to Middlebury.

Remember these are only D3Hoops projections and not the actual selections but they will be very close to the NCAA's picks. However, the placement of the teams could differ considerably.

Middlebury losing to Amherst could have an impact on the bye, with it  possibly going to Ithaca.

gobombers15

Well, at least we'd get that NCAA win against Wells/SUNYIT. Then again, I didn't think Curry was going to put up much resistance in football. That said, the Amherst/Brandeis winner would have to be favored against Ithaca.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

magicman

Quote from: gobombers15 on March 01, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
Well, at least we'd get that NCAA win against Wells/SUNYIT. Then again, I didn't think Curry was going to put up much resistance in football. That said, the Amherst/Brandeis winner would have to be favored against Ithaca.

Well, they may be favored, but not by me. I saw Middlebury play against Plattsburgh State(8-16) and while they're a decent team they only won that game against the Cardinals 68-64 because of a blown goaltending call against Plattsburgh.  Middlebury just beat Amerst today 77-68 to avenge an earlier loss at Amherst 71-64. SLU has also beaten Middlebury84-71 and as we know, Ithaca beat SLU. I know I'm using comparative scores and that doesn't always work but I don't think the Bombers need to fear Amherst. Brandeis will be a tougher opponent but if the Bombers have a healthy Bostic and work the ball inside more, as you've stated all year, and don't take 30 3 pt shots they can win that game as well.
But we're really getting ahead of ourselves because the real bids and placement of teams could be different than the D3Hoops projections. We'll know more tomorrow afternoon.

gobombers15

Guys- Still need MANY ballots. Send those along so that I can compile the poll. Thanks.

Cyclone0205

We're doing a fan poll for the final week?

I thought we were done once the tourney was all set.

gobombers15

Cyclone, send along your poll. You too, Fisher Dynasty. Just waiting on you two.

FisherDynasty

sorry i didnt know we were doing one this week, jsut submitted.

magicman

Since we haven't had a published poll in 2weeks I'll throw mine out there for discussion. I've shown you mine. Now, with age, thebear, jdex, gobombers will you show me yours? ;D

1   Ithaca
2   St Lawrence
3   RIT
4   Hamilton
5   Rochester
6   RPI
7   Utica
8   Brockport   

FisherDynasty

mine was.

1 Ithaca
#2 St. Lawrence
#3 Hamilton
#4 RIT
#5 UofR
#6 Geneseo
#7 Utica
#8 Fisher

I couldnt give teams that have 14 losses in the top 8 just becaues they played well in the conf tourny and had an upset or two

jdex

And mine .......

1. Ithaca 24-2
2. St. Lawrence 20-6
3. Hamilton 18-7
4. Rochester 16-9
5. RIT 19-8
6. Utica 17-9
7. Medaille 21-6
8. RPI 15-12

Think everyone's top 5 looked quite similar .....from there .....???? Wanted to list "SUNYAC top 10" in eighth slot, just cause we're YACer and they were pretty interchangable ...........For sure Medaille wouldn't fare well vs. many outside this eight, but was 21-6 against given sked, which was slightly better than IT's. Believe IT would've done quite well in YAC this season. Went with RPI on strong finish and at least winning record compared to strong finishing Port

With this poll has flown a bit better. Good effort, Chad! We just don't understand why it took some pollsters so long to file ......15 minutes a Sunday and we were confidently (!%&*$#?!) complete

thebear

Mine's at home, will send it this evening.

Agree with 'dex, any one of 10 SUNYAC teams could beat every team (except Ithaca) on this list on a given night ... or lose by 30.

Good Luck to Lady Dragons in the NCAA's.  Also to 'port LadY Eagles coached by Potsdam alum Nicole Beauregard.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Ethelred the Unready

1.  Ithaca
2.  St Lawrence
3.  RIT
4.  RPI
5.  Brockport
6.  Medaille
7.  SUNYIT
8.  Uof R

Could not in good conscience put Hamilton in this poll.  They lost to every good team they played this year and SUNIT & Medaille beat everyone they had to beat.  Brockport moves up because they play in a tougher league according to Massey.
"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

gobombers15

Gents, this week was on me, so my apologies for that. Work got stupid busy and some things had to be cut. Unfortunately, my message board viewing was the first to go. Things would have been easier had I received all polls on Sunday or early Monday  ::) Just kidding (but not really). Anyways, below is the low-tech, compiled final poll:

1) Ithaca (80)
2) SLU (67)
3) RIT (56)
4) UR (46)
5) Hamilton (38 )
6) RPI (21)
7) Utica (17)
8 ) Medaille (14)

Others receiving votes:

Brockport State (8)
SUNYIT (7)
Geneseo State (6)

Obviously, Ithaca received all first-place votes. SUNYAC guys, is that embarrassing to have the top 8 teams completely devoid of a SUNYAC rep?

jdex

Sure is!! Especially with Medaille eighth .....

And to clarify .....Wish this poll had flown better ........ Know the work you put in, Chad. Frustrating at times, yes?