BB: LL: Liberty League

Started by John McGraw, March 11, 2007, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Maxwell

Boomer,

Its their responsibility to get the games in... that is the risk of putting them all at the end of the season.  I asked a general question about IF there were any requiremnts to schedule on the next available date... as usually they are done on the next week Monday or Friday.

One of the SUNYAC double headers was moved to Sunday 4/29... which is 5 days before the conference tournament.  And two years ago, that weekend was a washout... so there is apossibility of not playing the games.

AND yes, it means even if they have to travel twice to play the games...

John McGraw

Just wait until the conference tournament.

The Liberty League tournament is normally a four-team, double-elimination tournament over three days.

Last year, because of rain, it boiled down to a single-elimination format, three games. St. Lawrence beat up on Rochester and Clarkson upset RPI. The next day, or Sunday, I forget which, St. Lawrence beat Clarkson witha ninth-inning rally to win the league title and the automatic bid.

It may come down to a situation where a game needs to be played on a Sunday, when the bids are handed out the following day.

RPI and St. Lawrence both got into the NCAA tournament. St. Lawrence beat RPI in the elimination bracket before losing to Eastern Connecticut State.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it works. It stinks, but that's college baseball in upstate New York.

BoomerIL

Bob....John....

So what your saying is that either way, the games should be made-up if possible.  How do the win/loss records, or winning percenatge effect the seeding, if games are not made-up?  If there not made-up, doesn't that skew things a bit and probably ruffle some feaathers?  Just curious.  This reminds me of how high school games had to be made-up in our area.  Its not unique to New York, it's common for cold weather schools, I'm sure.

On another subject.....the U. Rochester team has been playing very well.  We have the fewest errors of any team in our league, which was a problem last year.  Our pitching seems to be better from what the veteran parents have said, but the hitting could improve.  To many "at'um" balls!!
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

John McGraw

Liberty League standings....

Rochester 6-2; Skidmore 5-1; St. Lawrence 5-3; Clarkson 2-2; RPI 2-2; Union 2-6; Vassar 0-6

This weekend, weather permitting.

Union @ Vassar/Vassar @ Union (VC Sat, UC Sun)
RPI @ Rochester (DH, DH)
Skidmore @ St. Lawrence (DH, DH)
Clarkson @ Utica (NC DH)

If they play today, we'll see how good UR and Skidmore really are. I still think RPI and St. Lawrence are the best teams in the conference. It's a shame the weather may wipe away all the games or hold conference play to just two games.

John McGraw

Union 11 Vassar 8
Union 8 Vassar 3

RPI 3 Rochester 0
Rochester 15 RPI 4

St. Lawrence 4 Skidmore 1
St. Lawrence 10 Skidmore 6

St. Lawrence 7-3; Rochester 7-3; Skidmore 5-3; RPI 3-3; Clarkson 2-2; Union 4-6; Vassar 0-8

Bob Maxwell

This league looks like it is going to be something... 4 teams with 3 losses.

It is a real free for all...

BoomerIL

John.....

Since I'm still the "newbie" here, I need to get your feedback about your "how good UR really is......." comment after they squared-off against RPI.  Now I know most pundits will argue the fact that maybe Rochester has been in the middle echelon of the Liberty League Conference, and RPI has always been the perenial favorite.  And that has been the case in the past.  Today, there seems to be some equality in the ranks!  Sure some will say that one or two games doesn't mean anything, or make a league champion.  True, but I must say that either Rochester has found a "tooth fairy" or maybe their coach has really got something working with his team.

There are only 3 seniors on this team, all playing a vital roll on this team, with juniors, sophomores, and a slew of freshman making up the remainder of this "team," and I emphasize team.  Two of the freshman are starters, contributing to their success along with a much improved defense and pitching staff.  O.K., so I'm on a 'band wagon' and I've watched these kids play a total of eleven games.  In some respects, hardly enough to really get a good picture in most circles of conversation.  But like stated before, a team! 

They have fewer errors than the other teams in the conference which has been a problem in the past.  They could set the league record for HBP's.  The pitching has been really good, and they have been playing good baseball.  They have played some big name teams, split with Emory, and had a close game with Wash. U. in Florida.  By the way, those two teams had played 10-14 games already before our first games with them in Florida.  The split this weekend with RPI was no fluke.  Zongol pitched a good game for RPI and was being hit, just not timely enough.  Our two pitchers, were just as effective as Zongol.

I know that the season is about half over and all of the scheduled games will not be played because of this awful spring.  I do think this team is for real, and playing Cortland, Ithaca and Brockport should really help define how far they have come, or need to go.  They don't give-up and their fun to watch!!  I would also like to see if they get any regional poll recognition.  JMHO

John McGraw

Union 2 RPI 0
RPI 2 Union 1

Ooof. RPI's struggled a little over the past few weeks. They've needed late rallies to beat both Castleton State and MCLA.

John McGraw

Other Liberty League scores from Saturday....

Clarkson 7 Skidmore 3
Clarkson 19 Skidmore 5

RIT 10 St. Lawrence 4 (non-conference)
RIT 7 St. Lawrence 5 (non-conference)
*That hurts. I guess kiss those Pool C hopes goodbye. If any of the New York schools get a Pool C, I bet it'll be the SUNYAC runner-up (poss. Brockport).

Rochester 9 Vassar 1
Rochester 6 Vassar 4

Liberty League standings....

St. Lawrence 9-3; Rochester 9-3; Skidmore 7-5; Clarkson 4-4; RPI 4-4; Union 5-7; Vassar 0-12

Tomorrow...
Rochester @ Vassar in PoTown
Union @ RPI...I bet the Dutchmen's Shoes are pretty smelly after a doubleheader
RIT @ Clarkson (non-conference)
St. Lawrence @ St. Michaels (non-conference)

BoomerIL

John McGraw......

If you wouldn't mind, could you please explain to me about your "Pool C" comment.  How does the seeding work for the tournament?  Who gets the opportunity for a berth in the tournament?

On another note, do you think that the Univ. Rochester has a chance of making the ABCA poll next week for the New York Region, and who does the voting for the placements?  UR has been playing some really good baseball.  I know this coming Tuesday and Wednesday, they play Brockport and Ithaca which should give insight as to how good UR is, and where it needs to improve.

John McGraw

Three ways into the NCAA tournament, Pool A, Pool B or Pool C.

Pool A is if you win your conference's automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. This you usually clinch when you win the conference tournament.

Pool B is an at-large bid. These handed out to teams who play in conferences (or are independent) that do not qualify for an automatic bid such as Ithaca in the Empire 8 and Chapman, who is independent.

Pool C is also an at-large bid. This is given to the top runners-up in the Pool A conferences that do not win the automatic bid.

Last year, RPI was the favorite in the Liberty League, they had a solid record and a good regional ranking. St. Lawrence ended up winning the conference tournament.  The Saints earned the Pool A automatic bid. RPI earned a Pool C bid.

Usually, upstate New York teams aren't going to get a Pool C, because the region, nationally, is on the weaker side. Ithaca has two national championships, but no one else in the region has won one, though Cortland came close. The last two Pool C's in upstate New York were RPI (last year) and Cortland (2004). Cortland had a somewhat strong resume, but barely eeked out a Pool C bid, slipping past New England-power Southern Maine into a Pool C.

The enlarged tournament format this year helps, but, because all the New York teams have beat up on each other, I can't see anyone earning a Pool C. What might happen is that a New England team or two will be shipped into New York. Last year it was ECSU and Endicott playing at Auburn. Few years ago, Trinity (CT) won the Troy regional. Or, the NCAA will send up a team from Pennsylvania since the Mid-Atlantic region is usually really strong - plus they have a ton of auto bid conferences.

As for the ranking, I have no idea. Probably not. RPI was 12th or so and you split with them. RPI was the top team in the conference when the last poll came out. If anything, I'd guess they'd drop out or be at the very bottom.

In the end, the rankings that matter most are the NCAA regional rankings. The ABCA poll and the coaches regional rankings don't really mean anything. Keep in mind, coaches are voting on teams sometimes that are 3,000 miles away.

BoomerIL

John.....

I understand now.  Great explanation for me on all counts, thanks!!!!!! 

Boomer

John McGraw

Sunday Liberty League scores

Vassar 3 Rochester 2
Rochester 6 Vassar 2

RPI 14 Union 7
RPI 21 Union 6

RIT 5 Clarkson 2
RIT 7 Clarkson 5...RIT swept SLU and Clarkson on the road

St Lawrence 11 St Michaels 1
St Michaels 3 St Lawrence 1

Standings...

St. Lawrence 9-3; Rochester 10-4; RPI 6-4; Skidmore 7-5; Clarkson 4-4; Union 5-9, Vassar 1-13

John McGraw

Yesterday in Troy....

RPI 9 Clarkson 4
RPI 5 Clarkson 1

Updated standings....

St. Lawrence 9-3; Rochester 10-4; RPI 8-4; Skidmore 7-5; Union 5-9; Clarkson 4-6; Vassar 1-13

Today - Union @ Vassar (Fishkill, NY)

This weekend in the Liberty League

RPI vs. Skidmore (Saturday - Skidmore, Sunday - RPI)
Rochester @ St. Lawrence
Union @ Clarkson

BoomerIL

Bob Maxwell.....

A "special thanks" goes out to you for your friendly, helpful self!!!!  Being away from the action in New York kills me.  Thanks again!!!

Univ. of Rochester lost two games, yesterday to Brockport 14-4, and today to Ithaca 6-4.  You could look at any number of reasons why the scores were like they were, pitching, hitting, but errors really make a difference.  Especially in todays 6-4 loss to Ithaca.  Not taking anything away from Ithaca, but if, Rochester didn't make those mistakes, the score could have been the other way around.  Its possible.

I wasn't at the games since I'm in the Chicago subrubs, but the box scores gave me a indication of what happened.  Five errors yesterday and 3 more today is not how this team played all season.  UR was leading the league with the fewest errors up until today.  I'm not maligning our team, they are very good, but for some reason their fundamentals were put-on-hold for these two games.  This can't happen this weekend against St. Lawrence!!

I believe UR is a much better team than what was playing these last two days.  I think they can win the #1 spot outright, they have the ability and talent, but the games have to be played.  We will see.  "That's baseball" as I always say.