2017-18 ECAC Men's Basketball Tournament

Started by deiscanton, February 26, 2018, 06:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on March 04, 2018, 06:05:23 AM
Some comments on the storm--

1.). You have to feel for the Baruch men's basketball team.  When they started their bus travel on Thursday from New York to Wilkes-Barre, PA, they didn't know how dangerous the weather was going to be.  Apparently, the same storm that devastated the Massachusetts coastline and cut power and cable TV to at least 400,000 people in Massachusetts at the height of the storm on Friday caused a traffic pileup on I-80 that stranded the Baruch men's basketball team on I-80 for over 24 hours.

At this point, a basketball game is the least of your concerns.  I am just glad that the Baruch men's basketball team is back in New York City safe and sound.

(On a personal note, I lost power during the storm for 11 hours on Friday and I am glad that it wasn't any worse.  There are still at least 400 homes in my town still without power as the winds and heavy rain took down a lot of trees and power lines not only in Canton, MA, but also around the state and the entire southern New England region.  I am still without cable TV service....)

They were stuck for 24 hours and had water and MREs dropped off at different times. I am also told the NJCU bowling team may have been in the same area as the Baruch basketball team. The NJCU team was headed to Buffalo. They were all stuck in the Poconos of eastern PA on I-80. That same storm that hit New England did a wonder in the Mid-Atlantic area. Tons of wind damage in the Maryland area; Eastern Shore took a beating as well. Philly went from having a cold rain event to seven inches of unexpected snow. And the Poconos got more than expected.

FYI - we are about to go through it again this week. Tuesday night into Wednesday expected to be a far bigger and nastier storm than originally predicted... and maybe another nor'easter at the end of the week
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 06, 2018, 02:17:22 PM
Quote from: deiscanton on March 04, 2018, 06:05:23 AM
Some comments on the storm--

1.). You have to feel for the Baruch men's basketball team.  When they started their bus travel on Thursday from New York to Wilkes-Barre, PA, they didn't know how dangerous the weather was going to be.  Apparently, the same storm that devastated the Massachusetts coastline and cut power and cable TV to at least 400,000 people in Massachusetts at the height of the storm on Friday caused a traffic pileup on I-80 that stranded the Baruch men's basketball team on I-80 for over 24 hours.

At this point, a basketball game is the least of your concerns.  I am just glad that the Baruch men's basketball team is back in New York City safe and sound.

(On a personal note, I lost power during the storm for 11 hours on Friday and I am glad that it wasn't any worse.  There are still at least 400 homes in my town still without power as the winds and heavy rain took down a lot of trees and power lines not only in Canton, MA, but also around the state and the entire southern New England region.  I am still without cable TV service....)

They were stuck for 24 hours and had water and MREs dropped off at different times. I am also told the NJCU bowling team may have been in the same area as the Baruch basketball team. The NJCU team was headed to Buffalo. They were all stuck in the Poconos of eastern PA on I-80. That same storm that hit New England did a wonder in the Mid-Atlantic area. Tons of wind damage in the Maryland area; Eastern Shore took a beating as well. Philly went from having a cold rain event to seven inches of unexpected snow. And the Poconos got more than expected.

FYI - we are about to go through it again this week. Tuesday night into Wednesday expected to be a far bigger and nastier storm than originally predicted... and maybe another nor'easter at the end of the week

The storm is expected to hit Boston tomorrow.  As of now, my immediate area has been downgraded from a winter storm warning to a winter weather advisory and the wind gusts won't be as bad in my area as they were on Friday, but it will only take a few inches of wet snow to increase the likelihood of another power outage-- something I don't need right now.

BTW, I got TV back on Monday.  It was just a matter of putting one of my surge protectors into a different plug.... Silly that I did not think of it sooner....😅

Also, how did Widener not get stuck in the Poconos?  What is the direct route from the Philly suburbs to Wilkes-Barre, PA? 

Update-- my immediate area is back under a winter storm warning as of Wednesday morning.  Most of the heavy wet snow is expected Wednesday evening in Boston.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The storm in the Mid-Atlantic appears to be getting more aggressive. Could be a foot of snow in northern New Jersey, maybe half that in the Baltimore area... all depends on how much lands overnight... and it will be that very wet kind of snow which is nasty.

Widener probably didn't travel up in the same direction. Problem was on I-80 in the Poconos, they would not have gotten to I-80 by any stretch of the imagination. I-476 is much farther west than where everyone was stuck on I-80.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.