UAA 2017

Started by blooter442, May 22, 2017, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laserpen123

It will be interesting to see how Brandeis can deal with the "Friday Night Lights" of Tufts, a game which should see a lot of fans show up for. One of the biggest New England matches every year.

I think a factor in this one will be Brandeis's new look team. Their defense has looked shaky, while their offense has carried them through a couple of tough games early, which is unlike teams of old. It's time for their CB's and Woodhouse to step up and get a much needed shutout on the road.

Hoodedmelo

D3soccer Men's Top 25, Week 3

1   Calvin                6-0-0   
2   Chicago         6-0-0   
3   Lycoming            7-0-0      
4   Rutgers-Newark   6-0-0      
5   Tufts                   4-0-1      
6   John Carroll   6-0-0      
7   Johns Hopkins   6-0-0      
8   Oneonta State   4-0-1      
9   Messiah           5-1-0      
10   Trinity (Texas)   6-1-0      
11   Washington & Lee   5-0-1      
12   St. Thomas   6-1-0      
13   Carnegie Mellon   4-1-0      
14   Cortland State   6-1-0      
15   Haverford   4-1-1      
16   Amherst   1-1-0   
17   Kenyon   4-1-2      
18   Scranton   5-1-0   
19   Rowan   6-2-0      
20   Gettysburg   5-0-0      
21   Brandeis   4-1-0      
22   Washington U.   4-0-1      

23   Stockton   6-0-1      
24   Springfield   5-0-0   
25   Middlebury   4-1-0   

Four UAA Teams in the top 25 this week. Can't wait for UAA to start the weekend of Sep. 30. I'd like to see in depth power rankings/preview of each team that we can look forward to come UAA time.   

Ejay

Interesting that Calvin is 1 and Chicago is 2, while the Central Regional ranking have it reversed.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: EB2319 on September 19, 2017, 12:30:06 PM
Interesting that Calvin is 1 and Chicago is 2, while the Central Regional ranking have it reversed.

The rankings re-posted above are the D3soccer.com Top 25 rankings, not the United Soccer Coaches (USC, formerly NSCAA) poll.  The USC does regional polls and a national ranking.

So there is no reversal; you were comparing rankings done by two different entities.

4samuy

Yes, and the USC National Poll is now out along with the Regional Polls and Does Show Chicago #1 and Calvin #2.

Mr.Right

Case Western has put together the toughest schedule in the country BUT has not gotten any results so far against those solid teams. They sit 3-3-1 and with their schedule could lose 6-7 games and get a Pool C, BUT they must beat some of these ranked teams they have been playing especially on the road. Their next 4 are Lycoming, at Kenyon, Brandeis and Oberlin. The 3 big games they have lost who will be ranked in November are OWU, JCU and Calvin. They scored a combined total of 0 goals against those teams which is not going to cut it.

4samuy

Couldn't agree more on Case.  I have great respect for teams that go out and challenge themselves in the non conference slate.  However, as you stated mr right, you have to get some results.  The games you've mentioned, plus the tough UAA, still gives them the opportunity to get some of those quality results.  Haven't seen them play,  but it looks as if they struggle to score against quality sides.  If they did end up with six losses or so,  that would most likely mean that they would have 4 or 5 wins vs regionally ranked which would be a solid # for pool c consideration.  The question is do the have the talent to get it done.

4samuy

I had mentioned in an earlier post, I believe on the national perspective sight that the most recent Chicago road trip, at Carthage, at Loras, at Aurora and at Wheaton would really test the "grit" of Chicago.  They came away with 4 wins, but more importantly, IMHO gave up 1 goal against and were the first team to shut out Wheaton.  Chicago is starting to get its back line healthy, which will make them very dangerous.

Wheaton is very difficult to beat at home and really took it to Chicago and had great opportunity to knock them off.  They did a nice job of containing Chicagos counter by not moving their back line forward, and making it difficult for strikers to turn in space.  I guess it's pick your poison and because that they were unable to put one in the back of the net.  Wheaton is a young 3-4 team, but wouldn't be surprised to see them come tournament time.

wemcap

Quote from: Laserpen123 on September 19, 2017, 10:07:16 AM
It will be interesting to see how Brandeis can deal with the "Friday Night Lights" of Tufts, a game which should see a lot of fans show up for. One of the biggest New England matches every year.

I think a factor in this one will be Brandeis's new look team. Their defense has looked shaky, while their offense has carried them through a couple of tough games early, which is unlike teams of old. It's time for their CB's and Woodhouse to step up and get a much needed shutout on the road.

I'm looking forward to this one, hoping to see some good soccer as both these teams have the ability to maintain possession and keep the ball on the ground. Obviously both sides have in the past shown themselves to be capable of deep tournament runs, and I would expect both to be in the mix again come November. Brandeis has rebounded nicely from their opening loss but this will be quite a step up in quality from any of the teams they've beaten since. Should be a good litmus test for both teams, I'm glad to see that this game seems to have been made a regular fixture on the schedule in recent years, it clearly benefits both sides come tournament time.

Go2Goal

Tufts doesn't play nice soccer. They sit in their 4-4-2 and kick balls. They are the number one defensive team in the country. Defensive teams win but don't play nice soccer.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Go2Goal on September 22, 2017, 08:40:44 AM
Tufts doesn't play nice soccer. They sit in their 4-4-2 and kick balls. They are the number one defensive team in the country. Defensive teams win but don't play nice soccer.

Playing tough defense and nice soccer are not mutually exclusive.  From what I have seen of Tufts this season, they try to attack, but not have been too successful in doing so (at least in terms of scoring goals--they seem to have done okay in generating shots).  I haven't seen a 4-4-2.  It seems to be more of a 4-3-3 that collapses to a 4-5-1 in the defensive end.  Sit-and-counter doesn't seem to be their modus operandi, although they certainly throw a few long balls into the equation to mix things up and keep defenses honest.  All that aside, it will definitely be interesting to see how the Judge-Jumbo battle shakes out!

DagarmanSpartan

WOW!!! 

Case just knocked of #3/#4 Lycoming 1-0!!!

HUGE upset!!!

4samuy

Another solid win last night against a game regionally ranked side Elmhurst 3-1.  Elmhurst has some good talent, but seemed to be a little frenetic and unorganized against chicagos disciplined, structured and well drilled side.  Chicago moved UAA center back and Last years UAA rookie of the year up front in the 35th minute and responded with a beautiful header of a long cross from freshman Carter Romero to put Chicago up 1-0 just before half. Drablos responded again early in the 2nd with another header off a save from Elmhurst keeper making it 2-0.

Elmhurst responded with a goal off a scramble in front, but Max Lopez put it away with toe poke past the keeper making it 3-1.  Of Chicagos 8 wins, 6 have been against regionally ranked opponents in the most recent rankings, however they have not played an "elite" team thus far this year.  They will get some opportunities against real good sides in the UAA, which should show the metal of this team. I have said and will continue to say that the the quick strike fire power of Lopez, Adeosun and Koh and the now healthy back line makes them very dangerous.  If this group stays healthy, they will be a tough out come tourney time.

blooter442

John Carroll continues its impressive start to the season with a 1-1 draw on the road at Carnegie. Blue Streaks (7-0-1) bagged the equalizer with one second left. (I will spare you all from reading another rant from me about how teams need to do a better job of managing games in the final minute of a half/regulation/overtime.)

Even so, CMU is looking pretty good thus far. 5-1-1, a pair of wins on the West Coast (including one at Redlands) and the only defeat being on the road to Kenyon in OT. Then again, they did start 6-0 last year and ended the regular season 11-3-2 -- not a bad record, by any means, but the part of the calendar with the UAA schedule certainly gave a more honest indication of their level.

Hoodedmelo

#18 Washu with a tight double overtime win at Wheaton (3-5) on Saturday night. The go ahead goal was scored by a freshman in his first collegiate game played. It looks like they got outplayed with 17 shots for Wheaton vs only 9 for Washu. Washu now 5-0-1, it's gonna be interesting how they hold up once UAA starts with their opener away at Emory on Saturday.