FB: New York State Bowl

Started by Bartman, November 01, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2017, 09:24:14 AM
I think the issues present with this game are just going to exist no matter what you do:

1. Teams can opt out, which is never a good look
2. The two conferences play too many games against each other in the regular season, which kills the novelty angle
3. The game's premise—a postseason game where the year ends even if you win it—really only appeals to diehard fans (like us).
Bombers,
I wasn't sure  how to reply to your post......1. Good and realistic points ....or 2. Every party has a pooper....
and I decided, it depends if Hobart makes it to the NYS/Empire/Liberty Bowl...and , hey ,so I am a die-hard...you got a problem with that? 8-)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Pat Coleman

My bad -- I assumed that ITH knew what it was talking about.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2017, 09:14:00 AM
Quote from: Bartman on November 02, 2017, 09:02:08 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2017, 03:09:58 PM
Quote from: Bartman on November 01, 2017, 01:24:58 PM
All right, I have never started a topic before...so I hope I am doing this right.

I just changed the title. No worries. Thanks for starting the topic!
Pat,
    Then why when they announced the bowl...it was the New York State Bowl?....naming it the Empire State Bowl would seem prejudicial towards the Empire 8 Conference , as this would imply it is their State, their League and Their Bowl....if it is called the Empire State(rhymes with Empire 8) Bowl, I think the Liberty League should take a pass...we will not accept such subliminal domination >:(

Isnt the "Liberty Bowl" moniker taken?

;D
LOL  +1!  D'ya want some gumbo with that?

Bartman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2017, 10:46:15 AM
Pat...+k for accuracy in journalism.....and for that..... 1 free ticket to the inaugural New York State Bowl....way better than those lopsided first round NCAA games ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

fisheralum91

Ill say this- If it is a Cortaca JugII game- Ill go.
Who doesnt love seeing college kids with Cuck Fortland tshirts on?

Bartman

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2017, 11:52:30 AM
Ill say this- If it is a Cortaca JugII game- Ill go.
Who doesnt love seeing college kids with Cuck Fortland tshirts on?
The weird thing about Cortaca Jug II would be that both games would be played @ Ithaca.....I think if Ithaca wins Cortaca Jug I they should agree to play in Fortland
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2017, 10:46:15 AM

My bad - got my signals crossed on that one.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bombers798891

Don't get me wrong, extra football is nice.

Honestly, this is just about my general E8/LL fatigue. The teams play a ton, they bounce from one conference to the other. This is just another aspect of that. I'd have loved to see something with the NJAC or even a NE conference much more than "Oh look, Alfred's playing RPI again"

fisheralum91

Bombers I get that -
But who would watch St. Lawrence Endicott?
RPI Western CT?

Bombers798891

I mean, my stance is that the venn diagram for people who truly care about these things is pretty much the same regardless of the matchup.

I have a well-documented bias against familiarity. Seeing new teams is fun. Seeing endless E8/LL matchups is less fun.

fisheralum91

Agreed.
Then if we are still in this make believe scenario, lets choose the NJAC

Get ole Frosty or SU back.
Hell- Id like to see Wesley!

UfanBill

You may have seen the post by ITH radio on the ECAC board which mentions this year's ECAC games. And YES Liberty League and E8 teams are still eligible to play in them regardless of the new NYS Bowl (Which I might call the Upstate Bowl).  So far Alfred, Utica and Ithaca have declared interest. This year's GAMES, 4 in total, are being played at the University of Delaware's stadium. Next year they will be back at Penn's Franklin field where they were last year. Maybe the Carrier Dome might be a future sight? The NYS Bowl could be played as part of the ECAC Football Fest.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2017, 01:39:14 PM
Agreed.

I would have liked that too. However, I think we are staying in the ECACs. I did like playing the E 8 schools, but those trips were fairly long. We did have quite a bit of success and I am sure it help the program prestige and respect. Can't remember why Wesley wasn't invited along with Salisbury and Frostburg.

UfanBill

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 02, 2017, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 02, 2017, 01:39:14 PM
Agreed.

I would have liked that too. However, I think we are staying in the ECACs. I did like playing the E 8 schools, but those trips were fairly long. We did have quite a bit of success and I am sure it help the program prestige and respect. Can't remember why Wesley wasn't invited along with Salisbury and Frostburg.
Seriously??? Frostburg and Salisbury are right where they belong, in the NJAC. Remember Cortland, Brockport, Buff St. and Morrisville were inexplicably in the NJAC for a period of time. Salisbury has played Union three times. First in a 1983 NCAA game in Maryland won by the Dutchmen (I was there). Then they had a short home and home in 2009 & 2010. The Seagulls won 19-16 and then came north to beat up Union 52-21 during Union's first losing season in 28 years. . This was when you were searching for a league affiliation. The next year you very successfully joined the E8. An occasional game against the NJAC powers OK...bringing them back north, NO WAY!
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳