MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

TJ McKenzie 6-3  PG/SG   CB/WR  North Muskegon posted on twitter he will attend Hope and intends to play both football and basketball.  Div III All-state 4th team
https://expo.mlive.com/sports/erry-2018/12/5c360bbfa19373/pops-provided-a-home-for-tj-mc.html

<I shrug my shoulders.>

Flying Dutch Fan

Per Twitter:

Jeremy Kitka - G - Warren Cousino will be attending Kalamazoo.

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Flying Dutch Fan

Regarding the Hope recruiting class for 2019-2020:  I certainly can't remember a recruiting class with this many highly ranked (all-state honors, etc.) players as this one.  It's exciting, but of course means absolutely zip until next fall and the seasons to come, but the potential is certainly high.  Gotta believe that this will also put some extra motivation in "off-season" work for any of the returning varsity players.  October 15 and tryouts ought to be one heck of a competition for roster spots. 

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

pointlem

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on April 23, 2019, 08:07:06 AM
Regarding the Hope recruiting class for 2019-2020:  I certainly can't remember a recruiting class with this many highly ranked (all-state honors, etc.) players as this one.  It's exciting, but of course means absolutely zip until next fall and the seasons to come, but the potential is certainly high.  Gotta believe that this will also put some extra motivation in "off-season" work for any of the returning varsity players.  October 15 and tryouts ought to be one heck of a competition for roster spots.
Good points, FDF.  Perhaps this new recruiting class means. . .
•   Some gut-wrenching coaching decisions?
•   Some disappointed (but educationally thriving) current varsity/jv players and new recruits?
•   A deep and quality bench?
•   A great jv team including patient players awaiting their varsity turn?
•   Four years of great BB to come?
•   Some grateful but sad fans saying goodbye to the Class of 2023 in 4 years?

HOPEful

Quote from: pointlem on April 23, 2019, 09:39:25 AM
•   Some disappointed (but educationally thriving) current varsity/jv players and new recruits?

Realistically, some of these players won't make the team. And with Lewis and Zandstra being the only two graduating seniors, making the team next season won't be any easier. I believe Hope and calvin are positioned to have strong recruiting classes not just this year, but next year as well.

Hope graduated four seniors. Three of those spots are surely going to Dykhouse, Thomas, and VanKoevering. That leaves one open spot for the rest of the freshmen AND last years JV squad. A somewhat shot in the dark, but I'd guess the last spot goes to Hartmann. I have a hard time envisioning Woodhams, George, Dietz, Davis, etc. losing a roster spot to an incoming freshman or JV player.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

sac

Mick McCabe of Detroit Free Press fame puts out a top 100 high school players list every November.  Currently Evan Thomas is the only Hope/MIAA recruit that was on that list.  But how TJ VanKoevering wasn't is a mystery.  There are a couple more from around the state I'm really interested in where they land and MIAA's are possibilities but they aren't on this years list.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/11/29/michigan-boys-basketball-top-100-players/2141334002/

Last years MIAA/NAIA
Jason Dietz, Hope
Tyler George, Hope
Nate Davis, Hope
Austin Harris, Alma
Cole Kleiver, Alma
Zach Winston, Albion
Denver Cade, Spring Arbor

Out of this list, Kleiver and Winston are the only two MIAA guys who were regular parts of their teams rotations.  Cade played about 9 min per game at Spring Arbor. 

Its been mentioned before, its a big jump from high school to college even in D3.  Balancing classwork, athletics and new found freedom is a pretty difficult adjustment.   Some thrive, some won't.   But I look forward to Hope having great competition in the Fall.   Big summer for a lot of Hope current and future players.

Keen eyed observers might notice one thing missing from Hope's class.....size.  That's still an area that's going to be tough to overcome.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: HOPEful on April 23, 2019, 11:19:10 AM

Realistically, some of these players won't make the team. And with Lewis and Zandstra being the only two graduating seniors, making the team next season won't be any easier. I believe Hope and calvin are positioned to have strong recruiting classes not just this year, but next year as well.

Hope graduated four seniors. Three of those spots are surely going to Dykhouse, Thomas, and VanKoevering. That leaves one open spot for the rest of the freshmen AND last years JV squad. A somewhat shot in the dark, but I'd guess the last spot goes to Hartmann. I have a hard time envisioning Woodhams, George, Dietz, Davis, etc. losing a roster spot to an incoming freshman or JV player.

Pretty obvious that not all the recruits can or should make the varsity team.  Some of them (from far away places) are not even really well known by the coaches I suspect (at least not to the level of some of the local guys).  Also not sure that there are JV players from last season who could be ahead of any of the freshman.  There's always a player or two who really works hard over the summer and can surprise even the coaches in October. 

John Wooden

goodknight

Dutchman17

@sac  There was word of a big name transfer to Hope.  Is this still happening?  Was that the "great" news?  If it is, size shouldn't be much of a concern for Hope

DrDutchman

Quote from: Dutchman17 on April 23, 2019, 12:11:12 PM
@sac  There was word of a big name transfer to Hope.  Is this still happening?  Was that the "great" news?  If it is, size shouldn't be much of a concern for Hope
Great news was Evan Thomas. And no it's not happening

HupHolland

Multiple players from last year's team should be worried about their roster spot

sac

Quote from: Dutchman17 on April 23, 2019, 12:11:12 PM

I have not heard one way or the other, it was always just a rumor to me.  Those are fun.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: HupHolland on April 23, 2019, 12:31:18 PM

Multiple players from last year's team should be worried about their roster spot

Agreed!  Just hope they all realize that and it drives them all to work extremely hard this summer.  Anyone thinking "I was a varsity player last year so I'm a lock for this year" needs to rethink that quickly. 

John Wooden

goodknight

HOPEful

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on April 23, 2019, 01:50:49 PM
Agreed!  Just hope they all realize that and it drives them all to work extremely hard this summer.  Anyone thinking "I was a varsity player last year so I'm a lock for this year" needs to rethink that quickly.

But who? I'm going to agree to disagree.

Lewis, Granger, Hackert, Beckman, Honer, Dietz, Vree, and Gamm are all fighting for playing time, not whether or not they're on the squad.

Davis and George were freshmen, and played as much as you should assume freshmen to play. Both were high recruits last year and I don't see either going anywhere. Perhaps Davis could be the odd man out, but the fact that he's 6'4" alone makes me think otherwise.

That leaves Zandstra, who I think on skill alone would be my first pick to be dropped. But he's going to be a senior, and there's no way Mitchell drops a senior. The only way I could see Zandstra not on the team as a player, is if he requests to be an assistant, thinking he'd get more out of it than riding the bench and to selflessly make room for another player. As far as I know, that hasn't happened and I don't expect it to.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

HupHolland

Quote from: HOPEful on April 23, 2019, 04:44:13 PM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on April 23, 2019, 01:50:49 PM

But who? I'm going to agree to disagree.

Lewis, Granger, Hackert, Beckman, Honer, Dietz, Vree, and Gamm are all fighting for playing time, not whether or not they're on the squad.

Davis and George were freshmen, and played as much as you should assume freshmen to play. Both were high recruits last year and I don't see either going anywhere. Perhaps Davis could be the odd man out, but the fact that he's 6'4" alone makes me think otherwise.

That leaves Zandstra, who I think on skill alone would be my first pick to be dropped. But he's going to be a senior, and there's no way Mitchell drops a senior. The only way I could see Zandstra not on the team as a player, is if he requests to be an assistant, thinking he'd get more out of it than riding the bench and to selflessly make room for another player. As far as I know, that hasn't happened and I don't expect it to.
Without naming names, in MY opinion, 2 returning players from the roster won't make the team. It is also in my opinion that Hope could have a larger roster next year, similar to what CCIW(?) schools have done, that practice with the Varsity and then play JV games. Mainly to keep the talented incoming freshman "happy".

sac

BCAM Academic all-state  http://www.bcam.org/sites/default/files/19BoysIndAcadWeb.pdf

Brady Swinehart, Ionia -- Hope   4.0
Evan Thomas, Okemos -- Hope   3.99

Isaac Davis, Plainwell -- Calvin  3.9

Maybe a couple more if they commit to MIAA schools.  Apologies if I missed anyone.

BCAM Best  http://www.bcam.org/sites/default/files/19BoysBestWeb%20Sheet1.pdf
Several of your favorite MIAA recruits made these lists.  Still a couple more that could land at MIAA schools.