BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

If "rumors" are indeed accurate, it sounds as if UW Eau Claire will be reinstating their baseball team in the near future...  This would be a nice addition for the WIAC, especially when you think of the amount of quality baseball talent around the Eau Claire area.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

"Just think twice is my only advice."

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 29, 2019, 02:45:45 PM
Quote from: tomt4525 on October 28, 2019, 04:47:46 PM
https://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2019/10/uw-eau-claire-brings-back-baseball

It's official.
Would Finlandia still be permitted to affiliate?

Sure.  Geographically, Finlandia would be a better fit for the UMAC but to use Finlandia as just a bridge to a Pool A bid sounds disingenuous.

badgerwarhawk

Ralph Turner

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 31, 2019, 11:43:50 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on October 31, 2019, 10:37:19 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 29, 2019, 02:45:45 PM
Quote from: tomt4525 on October 28, 2019, 04:47:46 PM
https://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2019/10/uw-eau-claire-brings-back-baseball

It’s official.
Would Finlandia still be permitted to affiliate?

I don't see a reason we wouldn't welcome them to remain.  But ultimately it will be their decision.
8 teams makes for a nice balanced schedule.

Exactly, it's to our benefit to have them remain.  I give their athletic department credit.  They may struggle but they don't shy away from competition.  Unlike many other programs in the state.

BigPoppa

Where does UW-Eau Claire turn for it's baseball coach? You'd think they'd be preparing to hire a coach soon so he has a chance to recruit incoming student-athletes for next fall in preparation for the 2021 return to the diamond.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

You'd think UWEC has to turn to Juco kids right away to give them ANY chance to be competitive in the WIAC in 2021. The big issue is that many Juco kids (and high school kids) are already committing with signing day happening last week.That really puts UWEC behind the 8-Ball on the recruiting trail.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on November 20, 2019, 12:29:38 PM
You'd think UWEC has to turn to Juco kids right away to give them ANY chance to be competitive in the WIAC in 2021. The big issue is that many Juco kids (and high school kids) are already committing with signing day happening last week.That really puts UWEC behind the 8-Ball on the recruiting trail.

Maybe before a coach, they can add baseball to their athletics website.  It seems clear that they will not expect to challenge the top of the WIAC out of the blocks.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on November 22, 2019, 12:48:06 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on November 20, 2019, 12:29:38 PM

Maybe before a coach, they can add baseball to their athletics website.  It seems clear that they will not expect to challenge the top of the WIAC out of the blocks.

HA-Ha! I thought the same thing last week. You'd think they'd want as much traffic and interest around the new program as they can... if only for recruiting purposes.

BigPoppa

I am curious to see if UWEC hires a coach with connections to the Twin Cities... could be a recruiting gold mine for them with the right coach. They would be a able to pull from a huge metropolitan area that is about two hours away.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on December 05, 2019, 12:10:02 PM
I am curious to see if UWEC hires a coach with connections to the Twin Cities... could be a recruiting gold mine for them with the right coach. They would be a able to pull from a huge metropolitan area that is about two hours away.

This explains all the success at UW-Stout.

On a different subject, does Wisconsin and Minnesota have a tuition sharing program where you can get in-state tuition from the neighboring state?

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Jim Dixon on December 06, 2019, 12:27:44 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on December 05, 2019, 12:10:02 PM

This explains all the success at UW-Stout.

On a different subject, does Wisconsin and Minnesota have a tuition sharing program where you can get in-state tuition from the neighboring state?

Yes, for a long time.  A few years back Minnesota had issues with it but they worked it out and it's continued. Some Wisconsin schools also have it with Illinois.  That isn't a system wide thing though.  Also I believe Platteville has some sort of arrangement with Iowa focused on engineering students.